Motorcycle parking at JFK Airport

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rdwalker, Aug 21, 2008.

1. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A warning, if you are planning to park your bike at JFK (in New York, for the uninitiated): I had to do it last week and found myself in a bit of trouble; even though I paid careful attention to signage, I did not find a motorcycle prohibition until I stood in the parking lot entry gate that would not issue a ticket and open!

Needless to say, this resulted in a bit of commotion as I had to get out of a one-way downhill ramp and jump a concrete divider... but that is another story. A kind soul pointed me later to the SECRET location of motorcycle parking.

Here it is: the bike parking is located at AirTrain Station B, next to the Kiss-and-Fly location.

To get there, follow signs for Long Term Parking Lot. As you are getting there, you will start seeing signs for Valet Parking. Then, just before the station, there will be finally signs for Motorcycle Parking. Next to the station, there are about 20 bike parking spaces (free!).

The route:

-> JFK Long-Term Lot
    -> Valet Parking
    -> Motorcycle Parking

If you know of any similar unpublicized spots at other airports (in particular in NY/NJ metro), post it as well!
  2. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I notice this thread is nearly 10 years old, but i'm looking for more information or other recommendations. does anyone know if this is still true of JFK, or what it costs? what about la guardia?

just moved to new york, will need to park the bike somewhere when i go out of town at the end of the month. will also gladly exchange beer or cash if someone has a parking spot for me where i won't get ticketed.

everything in my neighborhood is three day street parking only.

i see all that side walk parking in brooklyn and queens (haven't been to bronx or staten island yet) but am not sure if it's legit?

ticket would suck, but mostly worried because i, um, am, uh...still waiting on my registration and don't want to inspire contempt or fear in the mind of the law.
  3. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle parking still exists. I saw it recently. Just wondering how safe it would be to park a GSA there for two weeks.
  4. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Are you flying out of JFK or just looking for two week parking for your GSA?
  5. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep. Flying out of JFK.
  6. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I get Newark when I click that link but will search groupon.
  8. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    It looks like you are local to JFK,
    Is riding your bike to JFK and parking it there for two weeks your only option?
  9. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    No but liked the idea of free parking. JFK parking is $18/day for a car. And some of those off-site places are dodgy.....
  10. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Got it.
    A GSA is a real nice scoot and the native NYer in me is very pessimistic about leaving anything nice parked inside or outside for two weeks in the same location that is not a private, residential property.
  11. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My riding buddy just had his 2017 GSA stolen a month ago. From the Manhattan street we have parked on for ages. They have security cam video of it.
  12. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Was it a grab-n-go theft with a van?
  13. ErikF

ErikF n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep.. Three guys dragged it to the back of a van. They got two BMWs in the neighborhood that night.
  14. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    A GSA is a big girl to move around for sure especially if the fork is locked.
    Used to be the only scoots getting clipped were DRZs, KLRs, XLs, XTs etc., etc. and of course any Japanese scoot that has full fairings.
    Now anything is game especially the heavyweight ADV bikes.