1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Motorcycle pickup by yacht

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Underground, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I bought this nice tidy low km '90 Dommie via Trademe to replace my current one which seems to have been given a bit of a hard time and is all worn out. Those cracks and a few other things meant it was going to be too expensive to fix.

[​IMG]

The problem was that the Dommie was in New Plymouth in the North Island and we are in the South Island.
    After discussing this over a few beers my neighbour and I decided it would be a nice little adventure to have a go at picking it up from Mana with his catamaran. So we chose some weather and set sail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day I travelled to New Plymouth via public transport and my uncle's car and got back to Mana on sunday morning.

[​IMG]

Loading up went very smoothly helped by Matt and Eddie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we sailed off home...easy peasy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We unloaded a few days later with the hiab on my boat and I showed it some dusty roads for what appears to be the first time in its life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    cool

great photos

new bike looks sweet

you obviously thrashed the old dommie too hard on those back roads behind Taihape...
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics UG. What a great way to pick up a bike. We'll have to schedule a Nads ride out to your place sometime this summer.

Haven't seen Eddy for a while - good to see he's still a handsome bugger.:D
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Tidy.
  5. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Cool, that Dommie looks like a minter! Are ya gunna swap the bling suspension off the other one?

We will be down your way around 12-13 Jan en route to the Dusty, loose plan is to camp out sounds way after getting off the ferry.

Cheers
    Clint
  6. Underground

Oddometer:
    Yep, its overheating that causes those head cracks, so the oil cooler is going on pronto.

I've been thinking about putting a bit of a ride together round here but just seem to get real busy in the summer.

I think I'll leave it pretty much standard for the Dusty, although its '80s suspension its not worn out '80s suspension and it seems to work ok, also I'm kindof enjoying the oldskoolness of keeping it standard.
    Get in touch via KB and we should be able to find you somewhere nice to 'camp'. We haven't organised our route to the Dusty as yet ....usually leave it to the last minute.
  7. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome.

If you need another one for a spare, there's an identical dommie in the local honda shop.
  8. Underground

Oddometer:
    I seem to have plenty of spares now Bart, besides.... I think I might have used up my allowable budget.
    There always seems to be a few popping up for sale though.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    An awesome job, Jeff. Love your work! :clap

Seems to be a few of those early Domi's around, but IIRC only that first model was officially imported? My 1995 one was a private import, first year of the Itie built ones.