Motorcycle Relief Project Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rat734, Sep 5, 2020.

1. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    10 Years ago I started a thread in Inmates about my experiences during a career in Law Enforcement.

One year ago an Inmate who had read my posts told me about the Motorcycle Relief Project and recommended that I apply for a ride. This group motorelief.org takes Veterans and First Responders with PTSD issues on a week long all expense paid dual sport motorcycle ride through the backcountry of Colorado. I applied online and forgot about it.

One month ago the phone rang and Mike told me I had been selected for a ride starting September 7th. There will be a dozen of us. I asked if I should bring my bike and Mike said, "Wouldn't you rather ride a new BMW R1250GS Adventure bike"?

"Sure" - This is gonna be a blast.

I look forward to all that I'm about to experience. I'll ride my bike (I just gave her the spa treatment) up to Littleton Monday morning and meet the crew, pick up a bike and ride. Weatherman calls for snow the following day

upload_2020-9-5_19-20-44.png

I'll update from the road...
    Perre, fastring and Amphib like this.
  2. DualDawg

DualDawg Been here a while Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Happy for you! Enjoy and have the time of your life! 30 years in and 3 years retired from the Fire Service myself. I love what these guys are doing and have been wanting to volunteer to help. This is now also a reminder for me to shoot them an email, so here it goes!

Stay safe. Rubber side down!
    IB Mike likes this.
  3. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    6A54BB76-CD96-448E-8565-9B2848F4BBEC.jpeg F1783485-DF40-4627-9B26-35BFA252631A.jpeg

I awake from my nightmare eyes wide open. The same reoccurring nightmare has found me but with different people and places. The monster intent on horror has entered the room. His victims are unaware and oblivious to the threat. I try to pull my gun through molasses movements. I try to scream “Get down” but my mouth won’t open.

Time to shake hands with the beautiful monster

Today I’ll ride 3 hours north to begin my Motorcycle Relief Ride. 8 participants and 4 facilitators including a riding Coach from Team RawHyde.

After a quick orientation we have a great ride 70 miles to our lodge near Divide Colorado. After a great dinner and conversation we all crashed for the night. Snow predicted for tomorrow morning
  4. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    4D88665B-9664-48B9-8ABF-3C871EF8E908.jpeg
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'm subscribed and curious, but also skeptical about what they do. I don't quite see how a ride in the woods on a mc and talking about it within a group can minimize or eliminate the experiences I've had on overseas deployments and my job. I'd love to have an all expense paid mc tour, but seems very dishonest for me and I won't do that. Regardless, I'll read with an open mind and curious to know your thoughts about the program.
  6. IB Mike

IB Mike AKA Yukon Cornelius

Oddometer:
    Double d, I am the operations manager. Feel free to shoot me an email mikeb@MotoRelief.org
  7. IB Mike

IB Mike AKA Yukon Cornelius

Oddometer:
    I encourage you to check out our Facebook page or website. Watch the video testimonials from those who have been through the program. You will see that most were in your shoes came for the motorcycles. Yes, riding is the hook, but what is most life-changing is the discussions had after we ride. We've done 38 rides and put 278 folks through the program. Most will tell you it is one of the best and most life-changing week Of their lives beyond getting married and having children. Check it out and hit me up if you have any questions.
  8. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    WARNING: Slightly gruesome, if that's a thing, photo of an injured rider to follow...

I'm back from my ride with Motorcycle Relief Project and I'm changed for the better by the experience. I rode with (12) other First Responders from State, local and Federal agencies.

I arrived at Littleton Colorado headquarters on time and picked up my loaner bike Helga which had been donated by a woman to motorelief.org

[​IMG]

After a quick meet and greet we mounted up for the ride to the lodge near Woodland Park Colorado. We were racing against a predicted winter storm. The weather would change from 80 degrees to deep snow in less than (24) hours. The lodge was incredibly comfortable and offered great views of Pike's Peak. It would be our gathering place for the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each evening we worked on and identified our issues, without any pressure, in a group. I began to connect with the Brothers around me. Tom, the guy that had the vision for Motorcycle Relief Project and made it so was with us for the whole week along with IB Mike, a coordinator and unpaid volunteer. MRP would also supply (2) RawHyde riding coaches who spent 1/2 day training all of us on riding BMW GS bikes in the dirt. I've ridden lots of miles on GS bikes but learned many new techniques that will make me a better rider. Thanks Keith and Trevor.

During the week MRP paid for everything and I mean everything. When we pulled to the pumps MRP paid. Want a coffee, MRP paid. All the great food, supplied by MRP. They even paid for my room at the Hilton the night my ride was over but too late to start home. I learned during the week that this generosity is made possible by the donors to MRP. Just for this ride (2) donors stepped forward and sponsored half the riders. You can do the math. One of the bikes ridden was donated by the widow of a Vietnam Veteran who died of cancer. Don was a much loved volunteer for MRP so his bike still rides in the pack. Thank you Don and Mrs. Don. Where do we find more people like these.

Check out some of the testimonials and then consider donating to motorelief.org

[​IMG]

The predicted snow would find us and cut two days from our riding schedule. This sounds bad but the side benefit was we all got to know each other better. Jokes, banter and heartfelt truths were shared.

And each evening we would gather around the fire and talked about:

Identify Resistance and move forward
    Mindfulness
    Moral Injury
    Helping ourselves by serving others
    To be Grateful

I found tools I can use to work on my issues - to find myself to a better me - I am thankful for the lessons learned,

Tom gave each of us this book which I recommend

upload_2020-9-14_9-51-0.png

After that we rode many great Colorado miles for the next few days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Notice the rider with the KTM - soon to be rescued)

The Accident:

Shit happens

The KTM rider, soon to be nicknamed Cank or Cankle, is an accomplished desert racer. He had the option and chose to ride his own ride. By this time I'd ridden hundreds of paved and dirt miles with him and noticed no issues - maybe he liked to roost more than most.

The (12) of us were N/B on the Shelf Road between Canon city and Victor. This is a 2 lane graded gravel road that your grandmother could drive in her Buick. We'd just finished up a S/B run through Phantom Canyon.

I was at the front of the pack and didn't witness the accident but arrived on scene moments later.

Cank was standing on his pegs fucking around with his GoPro when he drifted off the right shoulder of loose gravel. He tried to correct the bike and got it sideways. He low sided and rotated under the bike.

He was screaming in agony when I rode up and for most of the ride to the hospital.

Here I'm shooting a love beam of energy into Cank's chest while a Paramedic tends to his injury.

[​IMG]

Damn I'm getting bald

This new buddy of mine couldn't have picked a better group to screw the pooch with. He was surrounded by those that go first and a rescue mission was put into place, seamlessly almost without effort, a dance. The crash truck that followed us everywhere was on scene immediately. While a Paramedic, an EMT, a retired Colorado State Police Major and I stayed with Cank the rest of the team loaded Cank's KTM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We formed a stretcher with our hands, arms and bodies to get Cank in the rear seat of the Ford F-350 4 door dully and on his way to the hospital. Within 15 minutes we had Cank and his bike packaged for the ride to Woodland Park. As Tom drove the truck away I heard him ask Cank, "You want me to go fast or slow"? Cank said "Fast fucker" howling as they drove away.

In the moment I realized what a weird life I live. I am on a ride with other FF's with PTSD issues and we are called to what we all know. My chest swelled with pride for being in the company of these men. To be a team on a mission of service.

Cank created this opportunity for all of us to shine as beautiful Human Beings.

Conclusion:

I was the oldest guy there at 64
    The youngest guy was in his mid 30's
    Only (2) of us are retired
    The others were active Firefighters or Federal agents
    Some had no big GS bike riding experience
    The riding was beautiful and easy
    I only needed my driver's license

If you are a First Responder or Veteran I speak to you. If you are effected by your experiences consider applying for a ride with motorelief.org

If you have any questions ask them here or PM me

I had reached a plateau in my own grown back to a better me. MRP gave me new tools and things to think about.

I am filled with Gratitude for all I experience...

[​IMG]

(many photo credits go to IB Mike)
    dano619 likes this.
  9. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer: