Motorcycle Rental in Montreal???

Discussion in 'Canada' started by monkey boy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. monkey boy

monkey boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I'll be heading up to the great white north of Montreal in the early part of May. If possible and weather permitting, I'd like to head out for some exploration via motorbike. Does anybody have some input or recommendations regarding bike rental companies in Montreal. I've done some searches and only came up with one place which rents only BMW's for a pretty hefty price of $250.US. a day. Any other options or companies out there? Doesn't have to be BMW model specific. Anybody want to rent me theirs, I'm a trustworthy guy, honest Abe, just ask my parole officer.
  2. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    last I heard they still did

http://www.motointer.com/mi/en-CA/index.aspx?CatID=20

Moto Internationale Montréal
    6695, St-Jacques street West Montreal
    (Quebec) Canada H4B 1V3 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Phone: (514) 483-6686
    Parts & accessories orders: (514) 483-3400
    1-800-871-6686 - Province of Quebec, outside the Montreal area Fax: (514) 483-3454<o:p></o:p>
  3. monkey boy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I checked with them but they were a little on the steep side. $250 a day is a bit too much for my budget. Hopefully the wealth of knowledge on this site will come through for me again.
  4. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try Monette
    look under rental
    http://www.monettesports.com/eng/frame/mainframeeg.htm

They are showing 250 a day for an R1200GS but in Canadian Cra...dollars :rofl
    They also seem to have a bit more choice on bike types Kawa's etc at a bit cheaper.

I have a friend who rents from them about twice a summer and changes the bike type each time. Seems he has some issues on commitment :lol3

Also look at all the fine print. I know Moto has a rider clause that says they are only for use in Quebec . Probably because of insurance issues.

Sniv in Mtl

Ps Laval is a burb of Montreal and would be like Queens to Manhattan.
  5. monkey boy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dweeb,
    I'll investigate these guys and see what they can offer. I'll try to see if I can keep within the 300 mile a day limit, otherwise its 75 cents every mile over. Ouch.
  6. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    300?! :deal

Remember our mileage is quite like our dollar only multiply by .6 rather than .8 (ie km's).Read the fine print.

We do have somethings that are the reverse, our gas prices are about running at $3.15 US per gallon for super, roughly, since I just paid .985 $C per litre. :puke1

Sniv in Mtl (on the wild eastern border of BradVardia)
  7. monkey boy

Oddometer:
    Yep, did the calculations and 300 miles is the daily limit before they start adding on the extra mile fees in addition to all the other extra fees. You'd never think that renting a simple two wheeler could be so expensive. Go for an extended ride and it could cost one upwards of $300-$400 a day to rent a bike. Ouch. Renting a convertible for the week is cheaper and if I close my eyes and pretend to roll on the throttle, its kinda like a bike, right? I'm not cheap, just financially challenged.
  8. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the way back machine - here is something current. I plan on using these folks http://www.hctravel.com/ for my trip to Montreal and the James Bay next year. A few others are going as well, from points no where near me, so that makes using a self-guided tour company really handy. Prices are good for the quote I got so far. I'll post back and let you know how it all went. So far, they have been very good to deal with.

I know I could just rent the bikes directly myself, but planning everything else is a PITA with different schedules and all of that.
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Not very good motorcycling around Montreal. Lousy roads. Head north asap to the Laurentians and stick to the secondary roads. At least there is a little decent riding around there. Highways are terrible.
  10. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far David at HCTravel.com has us booked for hotels and bike rental and it seems to be a decent rate. All that is left to do now is wait for the time and go on the trip. I have my Passport ready to get another stamp.:clap
  11. proxyissues

proxyissues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike rentals in Canada are quite expensive. $250 is cheap compared to Toronto area rentals.
    I ended up paying uhh $300 all told to rent a Boulevard for a day, and a Harley was closer to $500.

In my experience rental only makes sense if your looking to BUY that bike. Fun rentals seem to only be affordable in the US.
    (As of '09 there nowhere to rent a BMW bike in Ontario so the Montreal is good for those looking to buy)
  12. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    If you are going to Canada, Mexico, or Europe and want to ride, why not fly and rent? Most people cannot take off the 2-3 weeks that would be needed to ride cross country and shipping your bike overseas only makes sense if you are going to be there for 3-4 weeks +.

Yes, renting a bike is expensive. But if time is limited and you want to ride somewhere like Copper Canyon, MX, renting may be easier (and possibly cheaper) in the long run.
  13. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't take a rental bike into the next province, sometimes. I'm not sure how they would know, but basically, I was told I couldn't rent a bike in Toronto and ride it into Quebec.

OK - so an update is in order. HC Travel helped put together a great trip. We stayed in nicer than average places, even though some of these places were pretty basic, they were better than the other spots around.

The James Bay road is bumpy and long. The rental Kawi Vulcan 900s are crappy bikes. Basically slow and heavy, but they were also on the cheap side to rent, so what can you do? All in all, a great trip. We had great weather for the entire thing.

Delta Airlines can suck the big one. The people I had to deal with were rude and in contrast, all of the people I met from Quebec were really nice and interested in what we were doing and helping us have a good time. I think that speaks volumes when the traditionally thought of as "rude people" are really nice and the people I paid over $500 for a ticket too couldn't be bothered to treat me like a fellow human.

A tip for Radisson. It is a very small town and everyone knows everyone, so watch what you say at the bar. I say The Bar because there is only one right now, and yes, they all understand what you say in english....especially when you say to your friend that someone's ass is big :eek1 Oops! Well, it was true...but it wasn't very nice, and everyone was being so nice, I felt bad about it.
  14. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    and back. Pic at Radisson.

Attached Files: