Motorcycle Rental & Tours - Southwest USA - JoyRide Rentals LLC

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by verboten, Feb 9, 2016.

1. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Fellow Inmates,
    Have you tried to rent a bike only to learn that they won't let you take that shiny GS1200 or KLR 650 on dirt roads? Have you considered shipping your bike from the snow belt in order to enjoy some fine winter riding in the southwest, but the cost just didn't pencil out? You are not alone.

After a year of research and burning thru a bunch of bikes, we built what we consider to be the best fleet of traveling dual sport motorcycles. We started JoyRide Rentals LLC in sunny Phoenix, AZ January 2016.

Our philosophy is simple, provide offroad capable bikes that are a joy to ride! We start with bikes that weigh less than 350 lbs and have a 200 mile minimum range. We farkle them the same way we treat our personal bikes, no fluff - just performance stuff. Bikes are available with soft luggage options, tank bags, camping gear, and tool/spare kits. We rent you a bike that is set up for your intended riding style and weight, not some one size fits all stock bike.

But we are not just a rental company. JoyRide is your full service tour provider also. Our team of guides has over 100 years of offroad experience in the southwest. The owners are native Arizonans and have in depth knowledge of the region.

Logistics - we plan it you ride it. Custom maps, gps tracks, roll charts, accommodations, trailside assistance, shipping and receiving of your gear.

Guides - We take you and your buddies out on a JoyRide for as long as you want.

Tours - Join one of our planned tours and explore the southwest by tent, hotel, or both. See amazing, seldom visited places others zoom by.

Training - MSF certified coaches provide custom tailored training from beginner to advanced. Riding technique, bike preparation, trip preparation, nutrition, skills you can practice at home and make you a stronger, leaner, smarter rider.

Gear - We equip you with Wolfman luggage, Garmin GPS units, and camping equipment such as tents, pads, sleeping bags, stoves, etc. It's the same gear we use ourselves after extensively testing everything on the market.

Here's what my first customer had to say about his JoyRide...
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/joyride-rentals-in-phoenix-1st-customer-and-review.1120364/

[​IMG]

We treat each of our clients like a longtime riding buddy and tailor our offerings to the individual. You are the star of the ride and your enjoyment is what we focus on. Our guides are there to facilitate your success and keep you entertained, not build up their own egos. Wanna take a JoyRide with us?

[​IMG]
    Another January JoyRide, one week in Death Valley.

Pm me for contact info and details.

The trails are waiting,
    Jeff, Shannon, & the JoyRide team
    JoyRide Rentals LLC
  2. verboten

Oddometer:
    Upcoming events (post updated continually)
    We are riding these events.
    Bikes can be delivered free of charge
    If you fly into PHX, I'll even give you a ride!
    Know of an event JoyRide should come to? Let us know!

Past Events we were at:
    Arivaca Outback - February 20-23 - Arivaca, AZ
    SOCAL Roadbook Rally - March 11-13 - Mojave Desert
  3. verboten

Oddometer:
    Upcoming JoyRide Tours (this post will be continually updated)

**Private Guided Tours - 1 day or more - by appointment - difficulty and distance to suit you.

*Great Western Trail
    $3000 BYOB / $2500 BYOB camp only / +$700 for bike rental
    Mexico to Utah, different than the AZBDR with a little more challenge and some unique cultural stops.
    Easy w/a little intermediate
    Arrive PHX by 8PM October 14 to pickup bike if applicable. 10/15 breakfast meeting in Phoenix/Ahwatukee at 6am, kickstands up by 7am.
    Mix of hotel and camping due to remote sections.

***Arizona Traverse
    $2000 BYOB +$900 for bike rental
    Mexico to Grand Canyon, different than AZBDR and GWT
    intermediate w/expert options, makes the AZBDR look like a paved highway in comparison.
    Arrive PHX by 8PM 10/28 to pickup bike. 10/29 breakfast meeting in Phoenix/Ahwatukee at 6am, kickstands up by 8am.
    Mostly camping off the bike with a few included hotel stays to clean up between sections.
    I started developing this route long before BDRs were a thing.

*Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR)
    $2900 on your bike or +$700 to ride ours

-----------------Difficulty Ratings-----------------
    *Green is suitable for experienced beginners comfortable with operating a motorcycle on graded roads and easier two track. Challenging sections can be attempted or safely bypassed. Primarily fire roads, two track, and some pavement to connect the dots.
    **Orange is suitable for intermediate riders comfortable with sand, gravel, and steeper terrain where liberal throttle is your friend. A heathly mix fire roads, two track, jeep trails, and a little pavement to get us there and back.
    ***Red is suitable for intermediate riders comfortable with more challenging intermediate terrain requiring good clutch technique. Some sections are extremely remote and require 5-8 hours to clear. A heathly mix fire roads, two track, jeep trails, and a little pavement to get us there and back.

----------------What is included?-------------------------------
    *Green trips:
    Prices include transportation to/from PHX or TUC airports as applicable, guide, support vehicle with spare bike, luggage transportation, hotel stays (based on double occupancy) and camping gear as applicable, welcome breakfast meeting, end of ride celebration, custom maps, and good times.

**Orange and ***Red trips:
    Prices include transportation to/from PHX or TUC airports as applicable, guide, hotel stays (based on double occupancy) and camping gear as applicable, welcome breakfast meeting, end of ride celebration, custom maps, and good times.
    ag40 likes this.
  4. verboten

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Rental Rates (No longer offered without our tour guide or as part of our tours)
    as low as $144 per day. Prices include taxes, luggage, tools, spares, camping gear (if you need it) and a full tank of gas. Nice round numbers to provide you with an out the door figure, no hidden charges! Pay in cash and earn an additional 5% off, I'd rather save you the money than pay the bank.

All you do is show up in your riding gear or mail it to us in advance of your arrival, we handle the rest. Bring your personal effects and throw it in our duffel that straps to rear rack, or bring your own.

Yes, we cost a bit more than most places. Why? First, these bikes are allowed to go on trails and are equipped accordingly. Next, we set up the suspension specifically for you prior to your arrival and adjust the controls before you leave. We provide proper tires for the mission at hand. We send you off with a full tank of gas, some tasty snacks, and a clean bike...we expect it be returned empty, eaten, and dirty :) There is a real toolkit onboard with spare tubes should you need them. The camping gear is top notch and would run you an additional $50 or at most camping rental places. We even provide a nice visor cleaning kit to keep you seeing the trail. Everything has been thought of...How cool is that?

A refundable $1500 deposit is required to cover the insurance deductible should something go terribly wrong. Damages are billed against the deposit should they occur. Riders must be 25 years of age and posses a valid motorcycle endorsement.
  5. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. Is. Awesome.

I think I might have to rent a bike for the wifey. She may or may not need a new 640... a lowered 640...
  6. 2whl pilot

2whl pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I plan on renting a bike from you when my dad is in town; Many times. Great business, hope you do well!
  7. verboten

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments folks.
    Purchased another sweet 640 this week for the fleet! It's dialed in and has a hard luggage option. Now I'm busy prepping bikes for this weekend's event :)
  8. genka

genka SUV hater Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is your policy on the cosmetic damage to the bikes?
  9. verboten

Oddometer:
    Depends on your definition of cosmetic :)
    These are dual sports meant to be taken offroad. Dirt and minor brush marks are not a big deal. Deep scratches, rash, dents, and broken parts are paid for by the renter at cost.

My first renter (review linked above) had a minor drop that put a little scratch in the tank and a tiny bit of rash on the hand guard. Since it could all buff out, no charge.

My Death Valley rental came back with two dented rims, rash on the tank and hand guards, broken clutch lever, dented header, dented skid plate, gouged fender, case scratch, and a bent disk rotor. Fortunately, the rider was not injured! I was with him and they were just unfortunate mistakes, not abuse. He paid for the damages at cost.

Ride the bikes, have fun, and don't get hurt bad. If things go sideways, that's what the deposit, insurance, and waiver are for. Hopefully I just have to wash, fuel, and service it when you get back. Just like your bike at home, if it required repair, it costs time and money :( neither of us want to part with those if we can avoid it right?
  10. genka

genka SUV hater Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is a touchy subject, this is why I wanted to ask. Few years ago I had a bike, which was totaled by insurance after a relatively minor crash- I rode the bike for couple of more months without any repairs. The estimate went like this: scratched the bottom of the fork -> $1500 new fork, another scratch on the brake caliper ->$350 for the new one and so on. So I hoped that you would have some leniency on the bike designed for adventures.
  11. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good looking FB page. You could use some more color though. Possibly Kawasaki green, Honda red, Suzuki yellow or maybe some Yamaha blue.

It sounds like your enterprise is moving along and we all hope for the best for you. Let me know when you are ready for a camp cook.
    Mikey
  12. verboten

Oddometer:
    I like how you left out KTM orange LOL :)
    I'm looking forward to having you as our chuckbox master!
  13. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is perfect for exploring those places I won't take my Caponord with 90/10 tires on. Where in the valley are you located?
  14. verboten

Oddometer:
    I'm in Ahwatukee near I-10 & Warner. We don't have a storefront yet, so I'm by appointment only.
  15. verboten

Oddometer:
    SoCal Roadbook Rally was fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    refokus, Friedom and Yardstick like this.
  16. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little recap of last weekend at the So-Cal Road Book Rally on a Joy Ride 640 Adventure:

After much deliberation, I decided to pony up the cash and ask Jeff if I could rent one of his 640s. I normally ride a 350 but the allure of a bigger, faster bike on the wide-open Mojave dry lake beds was too appealing. Renting a bike also meant I wouldn’t have to spend the week leading up to the trip prepping my bike. Jeff, my girlfriend thanks you for the quality time I spent with her instead of my 350 the week before the ride.

The So-Cal Road Book Rally is a navigation style rally that requires navigating by odometer, compass heading, and pictorial clues called tulips. Things get interesting when there are no defined trials. You navigate the open ‘off piste’ terrain by compass alone. It is kind of like a desert race meets scavenger hunt. In preparation for the navigation challenges to come, Jeff installed the KTM dongle that allows for on the fly odometer adjustments (important because it allows you to add or subtract distance on the fly to compensate for missed waypoints and route variation). I installed my road book holder the first morning and we were off.

Here is a link to the ride thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2016-socal-roadbook-rally.1110470/

I felt comfortable on the big bike right away. These 640s really hide their height and weight well once you get them moving. While there is plenty of fun on tap, the power was progressive and approachable. The bike was well sprung for my weight and the ergonomics seemed on point too. Later I realized Jeff had put me on the bike with bar risers and spring rates that fit my weight and riding style. Jeff mentioned that he has several different bikes for different body types and can mix and match parts to get the right fit for each rider. Little details like getting the ergos right made a big difference in my over all comfort that weekend, considering we rode a couple hundred miles of varied terrain including: service roads, sandy double track, off piste ,rocky single track, whoops, and washes.

Then, we set about bombing across wide open dried lake beds at 100+ mph:

The outward facing camera on my phone broke so I'm borrowing this picture from 2 Spot. Heres what over 10km of full throttle looks like.

[​IMG]

Fixing a flat before the weather rolls in.

[​IMG]

Very cold, but happy. I think the Mojave got its entire years allotment of rain in the couple of hours before this picture was taken.

[​IMG]

Jeff and company were easy to ride with over the next couple hundred miles. It can be hard to find people with a similar pace and mindset, but I didn't feel that with them. It never felt like we were pushing too hard to meet a some crazy goal or going too slow despite the weather, break downs, fuel problems, etc. When we needed a break we took a break, if someone wanted to check a nearby landmark or abandon building it was easy to reach consensus.

Jeff provided a clean, safe, well set up bike, so I could have an easy JoyRide. All-in-all it was a very approachable weekend and I wouldn’t hesitate to go on an adventure with those guys again!
    verboten and refokus like this.
  17. verboten

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome review Chris! I had a great time riding with you, Freidom, and 2 Spot. I'm already planning a similar event for 2017 here in the AZ desert!

For those interested in roadbook or GPS style dual sports, reserve a bike for Coconino Trail Rider's Mountain Madness. It's a great way to visit AZ's north country during the summer. Cool temperatures, great routes, and tasty chow, CTR puts on a great event!

This weekend Joyride heads to Desert Dual Sport Daze, one bike available for delivery at Dragoon, one seat in the motovan available for transport between PHX or TUC if you need a ride.
  18. phme910

phme910 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I met Jeff when riding in Arizona for the first time. He was a wealth of information & a real genuine down to earth good guy.
    He not only took time out to help me with my riding choices but also went riding with me.
    He knows all the trails in a AZ....or most of them....
    He's a great rider, is patience & a pretty chillaxed guy.
    I planned a trip to DV in Jan 2016 & my buddy was Jeff's 2nd customer.
    From the start & always, Jeff is a professional & knows how to treat customers.
    If you are visiting AZ & need a bike and/or tour, Jeff is your man!
    KUDOS to Jeff & Joyride rentals
    verboten likes this.
  19. nbj81

nbj81 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was introduced Jeff and Joyride rentals through a friend. I was interested in renting one of his adventure bikes for a weekend ride in Southern Arizona and Jeff spent at least 30 mins on the phone with me going over all the logistics of the rental and his various fleet options as well as their ideal uses to figure out the proper pairing for my skill level.

Jeff had a reasonable price for my rental, and showed up on time with the bike(s) fueled up and ready to ride. From what I can tell, his fleet is in good condition and well maintained.
    I had a few small spills on my two day ride, and did damage a front fender extension part. I paid for the part I broke, and the other spills were considered 'normal'. I believe Jeff was reasonable in this aspect.

After my first rental, Jeff followed up by phone to keep me posted on other ride opportunities, and gear he had available for purchase. I decided to purchase a large quantity of gear from Joyride Rentals to out fit my newly purchased bikes and the price was great, shipping was fast, and communication was excellent.
    I believe Jeff is growing an exciting and unique business, and at the core is a founder who is passionate about his own riding and exploring, which reflects in his execution and communication to clients.

I would, and have, recommend Joyride Rentals for a fun adventure riding experience or gear purchases!
    verboten and billfires like this.
  20. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Great feedback reports. Keep it going Jeff.
    verboten likes this.