Motorcycle Riding after Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by custmmc, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think about two weeks last time, posterior surgery. Im sure I was supposed to wait longer but my 10 y/o son was sick at a campout about 150 miles from my house and I needed to get him. Im going in for my other hip on Jan 24. Just don't over do it, listen to the doc. I know of a couple of guys who ended up having a bad time because they were impatient. Revision surgery is not something you want to experience.
    Sugra likes this.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I had my left hip done on 05/02/16 and was driving (auto trans) after going off opiates 2 weeks after the surgery. back on the bike after 23 days (doc was not pleased). had my rt. hip done 10/31/16. stopped opiates after 5 days (they SUCK!) and was driving short distances in 10 days. it is now a month later and i can drive for an hour without much discomfort. both were done by the same doc. incisions closed with superglue so no staples/stitches. posterior approaches. i did develop hematomas in both cases; these are painful (though less painful than arthritis!) but not a structural issue so you can drive with them. Remember every single surgery is different so it's difficult to predict exactly how it will go for you. good luck!
    Sugra likes this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just celebrated the 7th anniversary of my left hip and 9th anniversary of my right hip.

In answer to your questions Sugra, I'm sure I was not a typical recovery. Mine was miraculous. I had full replacement on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2007. I walked out of the hospital with nothing but a cane and spent Thanksgiving at home with my family. I drove my manual transmission car to work the following Monday, six days after full joint replacement.

I walked in to physical therapy Monday afternoon under my own power, no cane, no walker. PT looked at me and said you're good to go.

My second hip two years later was a carbon copy recovery-wise.
    cal08 and Sugra like this.
  4. Geepn

Geepn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a posterior left hip done April 12. Left the hospital on the 14th (kicked out by the therapist). Was driving the next day. During my time in the hospital no pain killers were administered , never filled the prescriptions either. Only took Tylenol gel caps for any discomfort (from the incision). This was my second hip (first 10 years ago on the right side).

Only advise I can give is get out of bed as soon as possible and walk as far as you can. that is the best therapy.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I'll not claim anything "miraculous" (post643 above) the situation for me was typical based on there being a whole day of these done by my doc and quite often too! I had my surgery as the earliest for that full day of THR's by my doc. That meant, as I was told by the prpe nurse that unless a complication I'd go home the same day. My hospital PT lady had me in the hall and walking with a walker then up and down a full flight of stairs. It was NOT! my typical stair climb nor walk fast mode. I was under pain meds so no pain either. Most of the other patients are kept overnight to make certain they are ready to leave. I was not released from the hospital by a PT! The doc makes those decisions!
    THR is considered a major surgery based on stuff I know nothing about, as I'm not a medically trained person.
    Pain meds I had were about 1/2 gone when I stopped them. I used the few morphine pills up and a couple days of the Oxy's then I went cowboy as the pain meds make you constipated and feel crappy. I flushed the rest after I was doing PT.
    PT- I live a 50 mile RT from PT. In every PT I've done there has been a goal, including THR. The goal for THR was enough strength in the surgical leg to do everyday activities w/o compromising the surgery. Not something to take lightly as the wound healing is only one part of that picture-the inside needs to heal enough that it stays intact. I'm old so naturally it's slower than a kid who's way less likely to be in there anyway for this one. With THR the PT doesn't need to manipulate your joint as was a part of my shoulder surgery. it's all about strengthening the surgical side. I did twice a week visits so they could monitor and change up my regiment as strength returned. That was accomplished in ~15 visits or so. Other PT THR patients with posterior surgeries it runs ~ twice as long on a walker, cane and PT is much slower.
    The pre-surgery class all appeared to be ~ 55 years old & up.
    It's not about IF? you can drive so much as SHOULD? you drive. the worst case senario rule is applied such that if you had a wreck while driving they want the wound/hip to stay all together. I used the walker as long as they made me use it, not until I wanted to stop it which was after a day or so. I also kept a cane for a few weeks even though it felt a waste.
    I can also say that there are many people who don't do PT as they should! It's about ignorance, I'm sure. The THR PT isn't painful like with a total shoulder tear which is a beast! It is boring, easy and necessary.
    I did talk to a guy who'd had his THR's several times on each side and complications from infection. He had been a competitive weight lifter so obviously knew how to exercise but inspite he had some serious problems going on.
    it might be an easy peasy recovery from THR but don't take it too ligthly.
    Riding a MC right after THR is flat out dumb. Same for driving a car.
    It's not an IF you can thing, it's a should a wise person looking out for #1 do these things.:baldy:baldy:baldy
  6. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm one week post op hip resurfacing, dropped the opiates after three days, amazed at how pain free so far. Icing gets a lot of credit. 7 hour ride in car day after surgery wasn't bad at all. Worst part so far is the GI complications of surgery and meds. Mine is pretty fragile, no riding for 12 months

good luck sugra, you'll do great
    brenter likes this.
  7. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading this entire thread and I am really glad I found it! Hearing all the positive experiences with hip replacements/resurfacing is really encouraging.

I'll be getting bilateral THR sometime this year, once I scrape together the insurance deductible.

My hips started bothering me about 5-6 years ago on longer rides. After a few hours on the bike, I needed to stop and walk around. Then they got progressively worse, to the point where my 40 minute commute left me in pain and limping for an hour after I got off the bike. Riding in general stopped being enjoyable with being in constant pain while sitting on the bike. About three years ago, I finally decided to get it checked out and I went to a local orthopedic association. X-rays and an MRI later, the Dr tells me I have severe osteoarthritis and I need new hips. They told me I'm too young (I'm 41 now) for new hips and they want me to wait as long as possible, despite having the "hips of an 80 year old." I should have gotten a second opinion at that time, but I didn't. I decided to sell my bike, as I figured it would be several years before I could ride it again and I was making payments on it.

Since that time, my hips have gotten progressively worse. I can't sit on a bike at all without being in considerable pain, my range of movement is getting less and less, I'm having sleeping problems, etc. The hips have also been screwing with my knees and ankles, as my stance and gait is all jacked up. At one point, I was on crutches for a few days because my ankle wouldn't support my weight. That took about three months of bi-weekly PT to straighten out. I ended up taking a desk job at work because I kept having to go on/off light duty. I haven't had any problems like that for about a year, thankfully. For the most part, I am still able to lead an active lifestyle, but I pay a price if I over do it.

About five months ago, my wife talked me into getting a second opinion. I decided to go to Stanford. They are really on the cutting edge of new techniques and hardware. The Dr there took one look at the x-rays I provided from my local ortho dr and told me I have hip dysplasia in both hip, which caused my arthritis. I have no idea why my other Drs didn't see that. The Stanford Dr tells me that waiting would actually be detrimental, as I'm bone to bone now and the longer I wait, the less bone material he has to work with. He's amazed that I'm as mobile as I am because my hips are really bad. He is recommending getting them both done at the same time. It's one surgery, one recovery and its much less money out of pocket. It'll be an anterior procedure and he predicts a 6 week recovery.

I'm really looking forward to being pain free and I'm thrilled that I'll be able to ride again! I'll post updates as I have them.
    MuddyWaters and cal08 like this.
  8. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Vey similar to my situation. Were you a breach birth? Apparently there's some correlation between breach birth and hip dysplasia...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  9. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    doctor-big said "It hurts when I fall down"
    Then don't do it! Sorry, couldn't pass it up.
  10. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Almost every pastime I've enjoyed over the years has involved the risk of falling down.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  11. squidhunter

Oddometer:
    No, I wasn't a breech birth. I also hear swaddling too tightly as an infant can cause it too. I'll have to ask my mom about that one. I don't have any family history of this type of thing either. I guess I'm the lucky one :kurt
  12. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for their advice and well-wishes and post my experience with the hope that it may help others.
    Surgery was on the 12th of December (anterior full hip replacement). Went well. Was up gingerly walking with a walker/nurse the next morning. Dr. offered to release me that afternoon but I opted to stay another night. Went and stayed with a friend for several days then easily drove myself the two hours home nine days after surgery. As kantuckid pointed out, it's not whether you can but should, drive. I did it out of necessity and haven't much since. In addition to potential problems of driving on pain-killers there is also the danger of getting into an accident while on blood thinners, which I have been on since the surgery. It'll be three weeks tomorrow and I'm feeling pretty good. Not pain free by any means but not too bad. I'm still taking some opiates but that's partly just because I like them. One of the hardest things has been being forced to sleep on my back for so long. I've just been able to start side-sleeping, with brief belly-sleeping, in the last few days. Already I can cross my legs, squat, get into positions that were impossible three weeks ago. I'm pretty happy and it'll just keep getting better.
  13. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    squidhunter, what techniques/hardware are you looking at? lets see an xray

at 41 yo you want to get this right...
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    He/squid said anterior. Every doc that was fed patients from my required pre-surgery class uses the same hardware FWIW. My guy said he uses the latest/best one he can choose from. Even patients of the very best doc can have an issue-that's why it's called a "major surgery", not to be taken lightly on PT/rehab rules. I talked to a guy was on his 3rd hip total & had an infection from unknown source.
  15. squidhunter

Oddometer:
    It's going to be anterior, I'm not sure what kind of hardware will be used. He said the incision would only be 2-3". This was a quick surgical consultation, so we didn't really go over every detail. The doc said I'd be able to do everything I did before with the new hips. He also said subsequent replacements are common and really aren't a bid deal anymore with the new techniques and hardware being developed. But I do want to get it done right the first time, which is why I'm making the 4hr drive to Stanford. Hopefully, I won't need a second replacement until I'm in my 60's or 70's, or maybe longer.

I don't have x-rays right now, but I'll be sure to show off the hardware once I get the surgery.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a neighbor/builder who fell off a ladder, was maybe 25 yr's back & he got a new hip. He's on his 3rd one! He was told this was his last as- was I @ age 72 last year. Seems they really don't know how long these new ones last and I did ask that question @ my pre-surgery class.
    I can see me "doing all as before" but realize that common sense tells us the fix from a MC crash is a new story to make repairs. The titanium hip might not break but the bone ends will! Either way, not good to go bang bang...
  17. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    The surgery was really not all that bad. I went in on Wed. morning and left the hospital on crutches Friday afternoon. As far as driving a car, it depends on left or right replacement. Mine was left, so driving was not a problem. I was driving in just a few days. I did not ask for permission I just did it. How old are you? I think that can make some difference. My Mother in law just had it done and is out and going without assistance in about 2 weeks. I was riding my Harley within 2 weeks. The Harley has a relaxed position and it did not hurt my hips to ride it. Where are you located?
    Best of luck to you. My guy said he would not do both at the same time, but I can see a distinct advantage. I was supposed to have my other one done in December, but called it off. I just hated to go through it again, even though over all it was not that bad. I have been riding my GSA recently and am experiencing pain in the one that has not been done, the operated hip is doing great. Just get in to the first available appointment and do it. It is a new lease on life. Check you physician and ask about their infection rate. You do not want an infection. Good luck again and take care.

Do it as soon as possible and get it over with. I procrastinated and canceled my right hip surgery and have been riding my gsa quite a bit these past few days and am hurting from it. I wish I had gone on with it, because it takes 3 months to get an appointment with this doc. Having this problem sucks, but not as bad as some problems we could have. Good luck to you, it won't be fun but it is not all that bad of surgery.
    squidhunter likes this.
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Good luck! It is very likely to go well for you. I posted above re: my two surgeries which went great. The instant absence of hip pain was just amazing. Before the surgery the pain was so bad I could barely walk. Even though there was some post-surgical pain, it pales in comparison to the arthritis pain and wanes quickly (i was off pain meds in 5 days, though patients have variable tolerances for pain). In terms of strength, range and absence of all pain, i am 99% recovered from the one done on 5/2 and maybe 75% from the one on 10/31 (it has been more difficult to focus on rehab with the holidays and slippery Winter weather). More than 300,000 total hip replacements are done in the USA each year, and the complication rate is between 1-5%, with the most frequent complication being infection. I would expect Stanford to have a pretty darn good record of success with this procedure. Please post your follow-up after you have the surgery.
    squidhunter and brenter like this.
  19. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But they are still metal on metal, correct? Do you worry this may be DePuy/ here we go again?

Background for non medical people reading this thread: metal on both surfaces has huge theoretical advantages over the more common polyethylene on one surface. But (BUT), the associated release of metal ions can cause severe complications in some patients via some sort of immune response gone very bad. If you poll orthopedic surgeons, very few would accept a metal on metal implant for themselves.
  20. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    the @jstcrashnthru's post you are referencing was made in 2007..... 10 years is a very long time in the bio-medical engineering world.