Motorcycle Riding after Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by custmmc, Nov 3, 2007.

1. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the devices had more or less room for placement error and a lot of the surgeons using them struggled to climb the steep learning curve.

I decided to accept the risk and went out of state for a surgeon with a great track record with his resurfacings

[​IMG]
    brenter likes this.
  2. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. Still true. To be clear most folks with metal on metal do fine.
  3. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 1 week post op with a ceramic/ plastic hip, anterior approach. I had a hip replacement in 2007 on the other side using metal on metal and what is probably a posterior approach. The first hip has worked out well for me so far.
    As far as the new hip goes it seems to be moving along at about the same speed as the first one but with far less bruising and swelling. I start some form of PT today and I will post a follow up in a week or so. Can't wait to get back to work and riding.
  4. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    My Ortho specializes in resurfacing, and I wanted to go that route since you don't have to cut the bone off. I am 6'8" tall and my femoral head is a 60 mm and they don't have that large of size resurfacing hardware fda approved in the US and I had to have something done asap because the pain got so bad I couldn't walk. I got the THR that is ceramic. My doc told me that my replacement is called "the last hip" because it should be the last hip I will ever need. I hope I live to 100 and he is correct. Sure makes you think about riding, yesterday I had a deer run across in front of me at 65 MPH and missed her by three feet. I don't want to see how tough the replacement actually is. Overall the hip surgery is not that big of a deal. I think knee surgery is worse. If you are in need, get it done at the first available opportunity. I couldn't ride my GSA at all at before surgery and now it is comfy again until the other hip starts to act up. One down one to go, good luck to everyone considering surgery!!!!
    I did the THR and am having pain in the femur. I think it is coming from where they drove the stake down in the bone. I wanted to do resurfacing but could not due to my femur being too large for FDA approved resurfacing devices. My femoral head is a 60MM! That is what I get for being so big. LOL. I hope your resurfacing does well!
  5. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ceramics aren't associated with the type of severe immune mediated responses that some metal on metal patients experience. +1 for ceramics.
    Ceramics on polyethylene and especially ceramic on ceramic can last a lot longer than steel on polyethylene, but the fabrication challenges are insanely difficult. My understanding is that ceramic components made now are very good, and are mostly made by a single company in Germany for multiple vendors. More good news is that the current ceramic components are not as brittle as they once were. Hit a deer tough? Hope so. Do consider hip armor!
  6. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks. i'm still on crutches for a good while so I'm anxious to try the new hardware out. Dr Bose in India is one of the best in the world and he has a utube video of him beating on a ceramic with a hammer. Probably not the same device as yours but illustrates some toughness there

my resurf is a 58 mm which i'm told was the biggest in the kit
  7. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Now 8 months post left hip and 3 months post right hip. Both posterior approach, ceramic on poly. Almost completely done with all my PT. I feel like i did when i was 25 years old! Well my hips do anyway; the rest of me maybe not so much.... Good luck to all getting THR surgery!
  8. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dentvet,
    Is your down time normal for a resurfacing or is it because of your size or situation. I don't know much about resurfacing. My doctors weren't big on it. Due to my weight and occupation and activity level they didn't see me as a
    good candidate. Im a firefighter
  9. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im on the ultra slow recovery because of poor bone quality there. The normal recovery is walking the day after surgery. Zero restrictions at 12 months. Marathon runners, MMA fighter, tour de france rider etc etc.

Most surgeons aren't keen on resurf because it was hard to learn for some and metal on metal not done properly were more prone to problems. Regular THR is a good safe bet in the hands of most surgeons. I found misinformation coming from some doctors not knowing much about resurfacing. ie Its possible your desired activity level would make you more of a candidate for resurfacing, not less.

Dr Su knows his craft:
    https://backinthegame.hss.edu/story/artur-akhmatkhuzin/
  10. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    As I see it, if you can do resurfacing, I would do it. They do not cut your bone off and the THR can be done later. They can test your blood for high ion levels and may have to do a THR later. You have no limitations such as running. They told me to never cross my legs or put any outward pressure on the hip because it may pop out. It has been a year since my THR and I am having occasional pain in my femur where they drove the stake down in the bone. I was to the point of being in great pain and could not hardly walk anymore and the resurfacing was not an option unless I wanted to wait 9 mo to a year, so I did what I had to do. I put the other one off even though it hurts some to see what technology might come along.
  11. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took my doctors advice as he is on a governing board for orthopedics here in So Cal. The board approves what techniques and products are used. He was familiar with the process but both doctors recommended THR over resurfacing for my case. I actually ended up using a different surgeon for the surgery due to insurance changes I made a couple of years ago, but I always go to my original surgeon (2007 surgery) for advice due to his reputation in the area. I know that resurfacing seems to have more customers on the east coast at least that was the case a few years ago. I know what you mean about missing out on new technology. If your older it doesn't matter as much but I could see the frustration if your younger. Ive said it before. Get a good doctor for your surgery, do your research. Not all surgeons are the same. I see it a lot with my work. Do you know what they call the guy who finishes last in Med school?.........
    Doctor
  12. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    Five years after anterior bilateral total hip replacement with alumina ceramics, doing fine.
    Walking 4-8 miles per day and occasionally picking up my 500 lb bike.
    Last time I saw the doc he said, "the hips should last forever". Hope he is right!
    I do not run anymore. Dieted and lost 20 pounds that, at 60+, I no longer need.
    Good health to all us hippies...live long and prosper.
    brenter likes this.
  13. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm three weeks into the new hip. Ive been walking 2-4 miles a day since the first week. I haven't started any sort of exercise program other than walking. I'm really surprised at how fast this hip is healing up compared to last time. I'm still having flexibility issues and strength issues but Im holding off on stretching and strength training till I hit the magic 6 week mark. All in all it's been good. I am looking for some good hip protection to protect my investments, so if you know of any good hip armor to check out I would appreciate your suggestions.
    brenter likes this.
  14. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had THR 2 years ago and did a little research on hip armor and Forcefield seems to have some pretty good stuff. I have not bought any to give you an actual review but I really need to if I am going to do any off road riding. That's where I really worry about it, since I do fall occasionally. I ride nearly everyday to work so I am not inclined to wear this type of protection to work. I do ride weekends with BMW City Pants which have pretty good hip armor.
    Good luck with the new hip mine has been great!
  15. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 11 days past a THR (anterior) so I hope to be up and about pretty soon. I had a long wait between diagnosis and surgery so I put the time to good use by shortening the suspension on the XR650L as a first step to it's "streetification." The DL1000 was already lowered by virtue of swapping wheels w/ an SV1000. I plan on taking my time w/ re-hab since I'm told that one wants to avoid a re-op at just about all costs.

I'll miss dirt riding but we have enough interesting pavement here in Kentucky to keep me entertained for as long as I can continue to ride.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for my 2nd hip/anterior on 7/11/17-tomorrow! It took me right on 2 months to regain strength in my surgical hip for resumption of normal activity. In comparison to my full tear, rotator cuff shoulder surgery it's not as painful nor was the PT as tenuous and slow to show progress. I was ready to ditch the walker very soon and was in a regular bed soon. My 1st hip was done 12/15 and the only thing that reminds me is the scar and the bursitis that remains near the device such that one 'thinks" somethings amiss.
    Ride on!:-)
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW- I'm 3 weeks out from 7/11 surgery for THR of rt side, my 2nd hip. While I dislike sleeping in a bed still yet and I've tried twice but woken by pain, I'll dream about our Marriott resort mattress for now. I ditched the walker after a week or so and the cane after another week. Some days I walk near normal, others it hurts and I limp. Driving is a different challenge with this rt side hip as the brake/gas thing comes into play, whereas my left side gave me a normal push on the pedals.
    Throwing this surgical leg on my MC seems a ways off but my Vespa is talking to me from the driveway. Don't think I haven't considered that the Vespa only asks my legs to sit there except for left side lean overs at a stop, what with hand controls and no leg fancy stuff.
    I ditched pain meds at 10 days, nasty crap that oxy!
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    sounds like you are well on your way. i found that after i stopped the oxy after 5 days i felt much better pretty quickly. being able to take a normal shit really helps one feel, well.... normal! i used tylenol and alleve at max recommended doses and the pain was ok. good luck with your continuing recovery.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried a 500mg Tylenol at bedtime and found it made the recliner more palatable on my worn out back which, needless to say will never get replaced. I dis sleep sounder and less pain when up to pee, etc.. My doc uses 325mg coated aspirin x 2 as the means for clot prevention-goes on for 6 weeks after surgery. To take any NSAID, doubled up (large dose aspirin & another blood thinner) like Alleve, for e.g., would be dangerous for me (others too! if not under guided care) as NSAID's are blood thinners, aspirin, ibuprofen, Alleve, etc.. If your not on any other blood thinner then maybe OK, depends on the person then.
    Every pain killer has a price you pay for kidneys, liver and so on-no free lunch that direction. Not that I'm a medical person-I got my med certification via mostly google.:lol2 Oxy, even with stool softeners and using a laxative is nasty stuff on my normally regular bowels. Also I dislike any sense of drowsy, disconnectedness.
    I'll throw this out again that resurfacing is virtually never done on seniors. I was referred to an expert at age 70, as a candidate for such treatment. The doc sending me thought my age might not preclude the fact that I was very active and good health, etc., but from what I recall people beyond, say 50 or so just don't get that choice. I was quickly told that's not a good choice based on my age. I suppose the amount of osteo matters too. The recovery/PT is longer than for a THR-anterior or posterior.
    I'm close to walking normal as I type this but still have surgical wound pain-like a nerve pain burning. Getting out of a chair is near normal but dislike sitting in straight chairs for long.
    I mostly post this stuff for others to read in case they need food for thought.
    For general reference: My 1st hip was 12/2015 and 2nd deteriorated much more quickly with far fewer "good day-bad day" siganls to say i need to do something. Both were based on osteo damage. Not my fave topic! I've talked to any number of people who put off THR based on some personal distaste for surgery or medical visits in general?
  20. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    I go under the knife in three days for bi-lateral THR (anterior ceramic). I'm 41, so that should help with recovery time. At my pre-op, they told me I should be recovered in about 6 weeks, at least enough to go back to work. I should be off the walker in a week and off the pain meds in two weeks. They'll have me up and walking as soon as the anesthesia wears off, as the more weight-bearing activity (walking) I can do, the faster the recovery will be. The new hips should last 20-25 years, so I expect to be doing this again by the time I hit 70.

I'll keep you guys updated.