Motorcycle route through Maggie Valley, NC

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mackdaddy, Dec 25, 2019.

1. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I had a route that I had saved a while back that had me doing a run through some killer roads that went through Maggie Valley, NC. I know there are a ton of roads out that way but this run was killer. I know I am getting old for sure but if anyone can throw me some routes through that area it would be much appreciated. Happy holidays!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    assuming you’re looking for gravel?

head up to Cataloochee and take Cove Creek to Mt Sterling Road to Buzzards Roost. You can drop off on Harmons Den or ? FS288 and cross over I40 to miles and miles of gravel, including Hurricane Creek. Dozens of great gravel roads on both sides of 209 and up to Hot Springs. Or stay on Mt Sterling to Waterville Rd that parallels I40 and connects to 32 (towards Cosby, TN) an awesome 2 lane blacktop.

From Maggie you can head west on Soco (19) and pick up Washington Creek Rd and go up over Dicks Creek down to the 4 lane (74/23). Head over towards Whittier and go up Conleys Creek Rd to Big Laurel and down to Franklin. You come out on 28, take it north and cross the Little TN River to Tellico Rd and cross over Tellico Gap and come down on Otter Creek Rd. When you come down off of Big Laurel and hit 28, there is a BP station that always has a great hot lunch just south of there FWIW.

Otter Creek comes out on Wayah Rd, which is a fun fast paced road back to Franklin. There are so many great roads, gravel and paved, in your general area, it just depends how far you want to go and where you want to end up. You literally can ride gravel all day and never be more than 30-50 miles from where you started. Have fun!
    SmittyBlackstone and BaldKnob like this.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
  4. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    ThAnk you so much for that info. I forgot to mention it will blacktop for the next couple of trips.
  5. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Waxhaw (near Charlotte) and get frustrated every time I ride to the NC mountains. It just all seems so crowded! I would love to ride the area with some folks that know their way around. Camping is great for me. I can trailer the 500 up for gravel and dirt or ride up on the 1290 for pavement.
    Here are a few pics from a backpack trip I took to Middle Prong Wilderness last winter. IMG_0073.jpg IMG_0110 (1).jpg