1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:

Craigslist folks are often the worst. AFTER you get through all the scammers, folks who want to pay in installments, and the folks willing to sell it for you for 10% of the price, you get the folks who actually convince you to meet somewhere. They show up without cash in hand for a test ride. Or they get the vehicle loaded into their truck and suddenly start pushing to get half their money back. Or you get that one a-hole that shows up and says, "Want you to know, I showed up armed, cocked and locked, so if you're lucky and play your cards right, I'm going to LET you sell me this car, on MY terms." Hell, how about I LET you leave this parking lot without a hole in your head?

Craigslist sellers can be just as bad. Tried to buy a table saw one time from a guy with a woodshop out behind his house. Was getting it loaded into the car (yes, didn't have a truck at the time) and he pulls out a plastic Star Trek phaser toy and makes shooting noises with it, says, "You like ol' Star Trek? Ol Beam-me-up-Scottie? For $25 more I'll sell you this authentic Star Trek toy. I got the original case for it in yonder in the house.... Okay okay, you don't like Star Trek? How about this here Star Wars light saber I got here for $10?" Meanwhile I'm wondering if it would be ok to cut my losses and save my sanity, let him keep the money and high tail it out of there without my table saw, because this 50 year old jackass is playing Jedi instead of helping me load the table saw up.

There are times when dealing with a dealer isn't so bad.
    Gissago, CaseyJones and husky390 like this.
  2. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, there is no way to truly buy a (new) vehicle "on-line". They're all sold via a franchise dealership.
  3. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    other than Tesla, yup
    Vistavette likes this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    My last 3 new motorcycle purchases were from the aforementioned small shops, I have only purchased 1 new cage in my life. All associated purchases such as expendables, parts, gear, and accessories can be had from sources other than mainstream dealers. No problem.

Where there's a will there's a way.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Tesla, or CSC.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I bought cars online through dealerships, without the negotiation part.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a service with value.
    liberpolly likes this.
  8. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    :yikes Jesus, what kind of psycho redneck hell do you live in? :lol3

I've never had a bad CL experience that involved an actual sale.

For safety if the item is small enough to easily carry I meet in a nearby grocery store parking lot. If it's a vehicle I'm selling they need to come to me - I'm not going to drive halfway across town to meet someone who may or may not show up.

Ask for half their money back after they've loaded it up? I'd be like "OK, Buh bye!" and then walk back into my house.

I do get a kick out of the people who believe in the "mesmerizing power of cash." They think if they wave bills in my face it will hypnotize me into dropping the price.

A couple of years ago I had an old Pathfinder that I didn't need and wanted to reduce my vehicle fleet. I listed it on CL for what I thought was a fair price, but quickly realized it was on the low side when my email lit up with people interested. A couple offered to buy it sight unseen.

I responded to the first person and gave them my address. It was a middle aged couple, they showed up the next morning to see it. Took it for a test drive and then came back and said they wanted it. But then the wife (who I guess was the "bad cop") started pointing out the little minor issues on the car and pulled out an envelope full of cash, my asking price minus $500. She said she thought I should take that because of the little issues (nothing major, nothing that would affect the functioning of the car.) I think she thought I was desperate to sell or something. I just held up my phone and said "see all these text messages? These are the people who want to come and see this car if you don't buy it. So the price is [my asking price.] If you don't want to pay it, I'll bet one of these folks will." After a brief consultation, they decided to accept my price and paid it.

Honestly I likely could have gotten at least $500 more for the car than I did, but as I said, it was what I considered to be a fair price and that was good enough for me. I don't obsess about getting the maximum value out of every transaction and I don't lose sleep over "what might have been."
    Shadowed_Stranger and Vistavette like this.
  9. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Happy be the day this becomes the new norm at vehicle dealerships.

[​IMG]
    Mofo Flake, Janus9 and wb57 like this.
  10. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    When cars become nondescript commodities, you'll see self-serve checkouts or vending machines.

We're already partly there. From the Chrysler Airflow and the Ford Mustang, to Generic Blob-Car, white, grey interior...I can't call that, progress...
    husky390 likes this.
  11. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Behold the future, now: https://www.carvana.com/vendingmachine
  12. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with a previous poster, the laws that are in place now keep dealerships and their methods in place. If those laws change, A lot of things would change, most importantly the process that nobody likes.
    liberpolly likes this.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Heh, I avoid those in supermarkets - if you want me to do cashier's job, better deduct cashier's salary from my total.
  14. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, they did. They only raised the price of tuna by 20% instead of 30%.
  16. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    We're already there. I grew up obsessed with cars. Never really cared about motorcycles until the last decade. Part of my switch is because I have virtually zero interest in new cars. Remove the Mustang and Challenger from contention and there is absolutely no new vehicle (including trucks) I'm interested in shopping.
    Carvana is an interesting experiment. Not convinced it will work but keeping an eye on it.
    I actually despise self checkout in grocery stores but if it were the alternative to having to deal with sales people I'd be first in the queue.
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  17. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    One of the better used car lots by me.... They mostly specialize in equipped 4x4s..trucks vans, always an interesting inventory, anyway the latest caption on their sign says "carvana didn't donate to your kid's local sports team." There's something to this, that some of these dealers do help out in the community and there are local jobs also in the mix. While I like the convenience of shopping shirtless in boxer shorts, the aging man inside of me tries not to yell at clouds and not be disappointed in how things are changing.
  18. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its been nice posting in this thread and now I'm "out". :-)

Hope I was able to give some posters pause for thought about their behaviours, beliefs, and attitudes about buying motor vehicles.

If not, I couldn't care less. I've dealt with pricks and dicks long enough to know just to walk away, and let them spin. People are happy living in denial, because it's easier than to admit fault, and instill change.

I look forward to my next MC purchase experience with zeal because I love buying motorcycles. Just bought a new-to-me car 2 months ago and it was a pleasure making the deal.

But then again, I now how to sell, so I know how to buy too. That means I go in to it knowing how to conceptualize and treat sales people and that transforms my experience into a positive one, and if necessary, I use my feet to walk away from those who I'd rather not deal with. Easy.

For those of you who think sales people are P'sOS, I suggest you go making a living from sales. It'll make you a better person. Trust me on this....you need to be. ;-)

And remember too, chances are your job depends on sales being made. Ahhhhh...such sweet irony. lol

Out.
  19. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I had that same thought for a decade.

Sadly, I can use one of those machines, despite the anti-theft features where it has to constantly detect weight in the bagging area, much faster than the slow ass teenage cashiers of today. And since I did cashier for 3 years, I know the 4 digit codes for all the produce still, no matter how hard I want to forget.

So I'm gradually warming up to self checkouts. Especially after the hell of standing their waiting 10 minutes for a kid to look up the item number in their reference manual after asking me if I'm buying an apple or a tomato (no joke).
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer: