1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Possible, but you are not making a good job demonstrating it. Or were you even worse before taking the job?
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  2. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    giphy.gif
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  3. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all fairness to the dealer, the side cases are keyed to the ignition on the bike. It is about a four hour job to re-key. Racer
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people consider driving as a means to an end, but the industry has expended countless resources to make us think that vehicles are status symbols, and a form of self expression to get us to spend more on them than we rationally need to.

Perhaps it's not such a bad thing.
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't go to the big box stores very often, and its usually just for a couple of specific items. It seems to me that I'm in, and out much quicker as I typically can walk right up to a self check out without the waiting in line like it used to be.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, that's a valid use case for those :)
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    "trust me" :jack
    [​IMG]

Where I grew up, "trust me" was a polite way to say "fuck you".....
  8. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Perhaps not. Then again, maybe taking more of the flavor out of life, isn't such a great idea.

First, autos were a way to display your personality. Yes, costly - but today, the ways replacing it are more-costly. Elaborate lifestyles; expensive, whole-body tattoos. Commitment to fringe politics with a quasi-religious fervor. How much easier was it, to trade your Studebaker Lark in for a Mustang.

And I might ask, why do you own a bike? You don't need it, probably - most American cycle owners do not. Mass transit is cheaper. Given our weather and roads, it cannot take the place of an auto except in certain southern areas. And since your cycle probably isn't a Vespa scooter, it's not chosen for practicality.

And that's fine. It's one more expression of personality. I'm actually with you there - I own a Kia Soul (it has no soul) painted white. A Rental Special package. I got it because Kia seems to make a pretty-good car (based on my experience) and the price was right.

But that's me. My self-expression is in my three cycles, now, insofar as vehicles go.

Others choose other ways. I intensely dislike these jacked Bro-Dozers, but so long as they're not blowing clouds of black soot, I'm not overly bothered. Likewise the lowered ricers. Only thing that bothers me about those is the fart cans.

So, while driving a White-Goods appliance is fine for me, I don't think my preferences should be forced on everyone else.
  9. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    My situation exactly. The car I own now, will probably be the one my estate has to deal with. Not that I'm planning on checking out; but I drive it so little, now that I'm early-retired. I have no real desire for ANY other car - I'd like a car from the years of my youth, a classic; but the reality is, I don't have the resources or the garage space. I have to content myself with bikes.

But I don't think this impersonal, commodity-selling of cars through, say, Carvana, is going to either save consumers money or bring us more of the interesting cars we used to see.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Why? Just cut the salesmen's commission and dealership's upkeep from the price, here's $1-2K in savings per car.
  11. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    How's that working with Tesla? No salesmen, nobody motivated to see that warranty repairs are done properly.

It didn't work too well for the China scoot drop-shippers, either. Email the website, send a credit-card number, and the crate arrives in a week.

And then when something breaks or is missing or needs technical repair, nobody is interested and nobody has parts or information.
  12. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahahahah...omg, you think they'll cut the price. Haha..ohh, my side hurts
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Choosing a vehicle that matches ones personality and use is entirely different from the excesses of when it becomes a status symbol.

I drive for a living, riding is a needed respite from that, and I have no interest in cars. I ride a Ural because it is in fact an excellent replacement for a car. One most certainly doesn't buy a Ural as a status symbol.

[​IMG]

And I can carry lots of stuff too, so it's more practical than a scooter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I purchased my Urals new from small shops at fair, competitive prices without any of the traditional games, its economical because it eliminates the need for a 2nd car, and its cheap and easy to maintain.
    Laboratory Rat and Vistavette like this.
  14. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Sure. But I'd bet if you added cost, time and money spent on upkeep, you'd be far better with a used Subaru.

Don't get me wrong - I'm just highlighting an inconvenient truth. As we speak, I'm plotting two cycle trips - the first, my final return to my hometown (I don't expect to go back again, all ties there are cut) this fall - close some legal business, cut the weeds from the family cemetery plot, see the fall colors. I could do it faster, easier and cheaper by flying United. Instead, I'm gonna ride U.S. 2 and 20.

Second trip is to Mexico. I could fly there and then take a bus to whatever hotel I choose. But I choose not - I'm gonna do my motorized-bum number down there.

I choose cars for practicality - mostly because I'm turned off by the transforming of cars, such as the original Mustang or the 240Z, into white-goods commodities. So, the best manufacturer with the slightly-better package, wins the day. But if you design and sell a car as a commodity, it will be viewed as a commodity. if sales staff are replaced by counter girls, or web-pages, or vending machines, then what is produced will be uniform, uninspired, made to fit the lowest common denominator.

And BTW that's one of the reasons that the auto market has devolved into ONLY four-door cars, and how white has become such a "popular" color. And how we went from a rainbow hue of interior colors, to either tan or grey. Occasionally, black. Because there's little interest in making or marketing cars to individuals' tastes - focus on what sells the most of.

If the motorcycle industry built bikes like the Amazon, out of parts bins, and sold them the way Sears sold scooters 60 years ago...then there'd be little interest, excitement or progress in motorcycles or riding. Again, the lowest common denominator. Really...imagine the Honda Nighthawk 250 or a Gold Wing as the only choices in types.
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Of course they will. Competition is a wonderful thing. When I bought my last new car, I sent the quotes with my offer - $100 over invoice - to several dealerships, run two rounds of counter-offers, and picked the lowest one, $100 below the invoice. A small thing for a $15000 car, but still... He even drove it to my work to sign the papers and leave the car. Couldn't be more pleased.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's working REALLY well with Tesla. Of course, you have to have a high-quality product for that.
  17. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somehow 'LOL' doesn't even begin to cover this.

BTW I never said that sales people are by nature, bad people. I have made many long-time friends over the many years I spent in sales. What I said what that the nature of commissioned sales forces sales people into an adversarial relationship with the customer. It isn't always combative, but it is by definition adversarial...and that is The Problem.
  18. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually both of those things work extremely well. Nice try though. Emailing a web site, sending a credit card number, and recieving the vehicle in a week is _vastly_ superior as a business model to the over-coal-raking that goes on in dealerships every day.

Also, remind me who is it that is so motivated to get warranty repairs done properly? I haven't dealt with a dealership service department that didn't suck ass in maybe 20 years. the last one was Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville, but I knew all those guys at that time, so that might have been why.
    Fleksta and ddavidv like this.
  19. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    Except you have no idea if $100 over or under invoice was a good price or not. And it doesn't really matter, as long as you were happy. Today, invoice means nothing. The general public has been programmed by the car companies to shop based on that arbitrary figure. A figure they make up. You're not special, nor am I or anyone else here. Business don't exist at $100 mark-up on $15,000 (or more) products. And it's not all made up in service and parts.

Free piano with purchase of bench.
  20. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    Tesla is a fashion accessory today. Yes, they make something special that people want, but its also driven by the "Look what I have crowd". A lot like Apple products.

I can't remember which tv program did this, but they put an Apple logo on an old Casio or Timex watch and showed it to people on the street. They were very interested in spending a lot of money on it because it said "apple"