motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Today’s Prius.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stair step programs for one are huge. Not all manufacturers participate. It’s one of the reasons you are told by the internet to buy at the end of the month. I’ve seen customers get huge discounts off MSRP on the last day with one unit needed to get $100,000 back from the manufacturer.

You can’t plan for this when you buy, but if you are in the right place at the right time it’s your lucky day.
    Vistavette likes this.
  3. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same.

2 min per day, and I live in a smaller off the beaten path town.

Tesla acts like a tech company, not a car company. Constantly trying to create buzz to drive funding. They really need to figure out the after sale issues.

I will have one in my driveway once that happens.
  4. Laboratory Rat

Laboratory Rat böser meister geist Supporter

Oddometer:

Yup!
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, most people know you can get better prices by the end of quarter and even better by the end of the year, after Chrismas. That's why you let dealers bid for your business against each other.
  6. MatatuPuncher

MatatuPuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm amazed at them number of people on this thread who have financed a motorcycle purchase.
    ZappBranigan likes this.
  7. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Why? I’ve paid cash for some and financed some. I always chuckle at people who want to impose their financial situation on someone else.
  8. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why? There are a lot of reasons to do so. Often, the financing deal is so good (0% or very low) that your money is best left where it is. Although I'm in your camp on this, it's none of my business how someone spends their money. I know people that feel the same way about cars...and houses for that matter. Not everyone can just write a check.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Not sure why you would say this?
    Sounds a bit like “you” are bragging that you didn’t finance??
    But worse; is that it implies that you feel that those who financed are wrong in their decision.
    Kinda makes you seem like a snob or an elitist.
    I don’t know you so I am not saying that’s the case but your statement implies such.
    3sum and Vistavette like this.
  10. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem with posting bottom line prices, is that the customer will then try to negotiate based on that price. When the salesman tells them that is their lowest price, and that there is no room for negotiation, the buyer gets angry and leaves.
  11. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It's free money, whether a manufacturer chooses to give it out in the form of rebates, or below-inflation interest rates.
  12. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Not if it is a declared policy and the price is fair, and customers who leave in anger and unsuccessfully try to negotiate a better price elsewhere, come back.
    phughes likes this.
  13. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    True in theory, but I have seen it happen, over and over. People are so used to negotiating at dealers, be it a car dealer, or motorcycle dealer. When they are confronted with a non-negotiable price, they automatically think they are being ripped off. I think it is slowly changing, but it will take a while.
  14. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Here’s the problem with your statement..
    If it is a stated policy and the price IS fair....the customer has no reason to leave in anger!!!
    However many/most customers won’t believe and WILL leave when you won’t budge on price.
    Then when they unsuccessfully try to negotiate a better deal elsewhere—-
    The LAST thing most will do is return and admit they were wrong and that your offer WAS A GOOD DEAL,
    Many will knowingly pay more elsewhere after they spent time and frustration to get other dealer down to or close to your “fair” price.
    This is fact based on many years of sales experience (mainly in automotive)

It’s just human nature
    ZappBranigan likes this.
  15. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    We had two Chevy dealerships in our area for a while in the mid 1990s. One was a fixed price, no haggle. The one I worked for was traditional. People would go to the no haggle store, get the price, come to us and we'd beat it by near nearly nothing and sell the car. The no haggle dealership changed their method within a year or so and went to a traditional sales platform. People will tell you they want no haggle, they'll scream to the moon that they want no haggle, they'll beg you just to give them the best price up front, but the reality is, they don't want the best price; they want to feel like they got a good deal.

I said this in this thread before; I was in the new car sales business for over 12 years. It just never mattered how good the price was that I gave them, even if it really was awesome.

If one price truly worked, we wouldn't have this dealership method any longer. Dealerships tried this in the '90s, they tried it all over the country, it does not work. People like to haggle and feel like they got a bargain.
    3sum likes this.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main issue I experienced with "no dicker" price dealers is that it was a lie. It wasn't sticker price plus tax out the door, the shell game was still largely intact. Its almost as if they wanted it to fail.
    liberpolly likes this.
  17. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    Back in the mid 90's it was pretty much price plus tax. There was a small doc fee, not like it is today.
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  19. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    It used to be that people were stupid and uninformed. Now they are even more stupid, but better informed, and squeezing last ounce of the bargain is not cool anymore, it's for poor people. Times changed.
  20. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    I suggest you go get a job as a salesman selling cars for a year. Your argument is currently coming from a standpoint of ignorance. You don't even know what you don't know.
    willis 2000 likes this.