motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Just Dave

Just Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People don’t like to be sold - they like to buy stuff they want from someone they like. Smart organizations and sales people understand this. They facilitate the sale. Don’t get me wrong: a good sales person asks for the sale. That’s their job - to sell. A good sales person can ask for the sale, overcome objections, and close a sale without you ever knowing they were doing it. They let you buy.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Measured against the extremely low turnover of stock, the deep discounts and large number of NOS units...and the high turnover of sales personnel.

And their age and quality. When you go to buy a car, you generally aren't talking to a nineteen year old with huge ear gauges. And many times, that salesman has been at it for years, and sometimes at that very agency.

BMW is the trendy thing right now. Given the various dynamics of the finance industry, some young people there have been making huge amounts of money, simply by taking Federal Reserve zero-interest loans, and pouring it into indexed proprietary funds for their houses' account. That's not brilliant or demanding; but commissions paid are huge.

So they're going wild with this newfound wealth. All the toys that rich young tycoons would want. And when they buy a bike, they don't want a prole Honda. Nor even a Harley. They're buying STATUS - a Boxer GS Adventure to take to Starbucks on Saturday.

That will not last. Anytime, anywhere, someone discovers a job that pays money for nuthin', it's not going to last. A Hard Reset is coming. And the market will be flooded with repossessed Boxers.
    vector6 likes this.
  3. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP. This is common. These salesmen are lazy, non motivated, not knowledgeable...and not very smart. Their management is no better.
  4. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    I spent 12 years in the car business, and I agree. You can always tell when a customer is lying, because their lips are moving.
    PaulTim2000 and oldtouring B like this.
  5. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me talk to my manager.
    That's as low as I can go.
    I'm losing money at that price!
    I paid more that that for it myself!
    "Fair trade-in value"
    We're not making any money on this one.
    I've got another interested party
    Etc.
    Etc
    Etc

I could literally go on all night...
  6. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to work for tips as a teen and early 20s. In my 50s, I still tip well. You know it when you've done it.

As far as salespeople, I've had good luck being honest and up front- though some times it has taken more than one attempt to be clear.

Folks are trying to make a living or build relationships. Seems pretty easy to cipher what's what pretty early on.
    snglfin and TonyKZ1 like this.
  7. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Well you had annoying experiences at several dealerships and the common factor is you, so maybe?

Seriously though without some description of what annoyed you, who could tell if it's you or them.

I get how it can be annoying though.

Never really enjoyed dealing with car dealers so I've bought every car I've owned used from a private party. I've bought bikes from dealers though--new and used. Each purchase was a good experience, but I've had an almost purchase where I wasn't happy with how they did things.

OK it's you. Partly anyway.
  8. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    S-R-S
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember, you're buying the bike, not the salesman. Keep your filter on high, to block out most of their annoyance. Focus on the bike you're looking at. Buy the bike, not the salesman.
  10. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    What's your point?
  11. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    A tale of two Triumph stores.

A) Fancy showroom adjacent to a mall. Sales dudes perched behind a counter set higher than the showroom floor (this is an instant giveaway that you are in an aggressive sales environment). Reluctance to give test rides if they are available at all. Sales guy couldn't answer basic questions about the model I was interested in. Emphasis on 'qualifying' me as a buyer with questions about financing before discussing the bike.

B) Smaller showroom in a town close to nothing. All sales personnel ride. Dealership owner on site. "Here, take this one for a ride" is almost the first thing out of their mouths. Salesman desk crammed into a corner so more room for bikes. Prices posted on all machines and not wildly inflated for absurd negotiations to make you think you're getting one over on them.

Guess which one I bought from?
    DirtMedic, WooPig, thebigman and 18 others like this.
  12. Electrical

Electrical Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's an interesting thing to talk about. I look at the motorcycle sales peak that happened, what, 20 years ago? The peak that looked like the dot.com stock bubble in 2000. From there, bike sales flattened hard yet population and potential rider base continued growing. There is room for growth, I mean it's not like the market is saturated, but what'll it take? Wish I had the answer. Electric bikes might draw millenials. Smaller and more manageable ADV bikes is a good move suitable for a wider range of people.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any problems as I'll never purchase a new motorcycle, BUT...I was waiting in the lounge at BMW Louisville a couple months ago as they installed (another) fuel strip in my 09. The sales guy there was a decent enough chap but he approached me 4 times saying that he could put me on that new '19 for nothing down and a low rate. After the 4th time I looked at him and nicely said, "Oh, I'll buy that '19 in about 3-4 years from the guy you sold it to for about 1/2 price and he'll have put less than 10,000 miles on it."

He never bothered me again:D
    GlennR, Buckstoy, racer and 5 others like this.
  14. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think you may be right, davidji. im less and less likely to tolerate foolishness. such as the former salesmen in this thread assuming this is a customer issue.

what specifically saved me $12-14K the last few days?

salesman #1 (z900rs cafe): if you dont buy THIS one you will NEVER get one because they are a limited edition. are you financing?

salesman #2 (NOS cb1100): kawasaki hasnt made a good bike since the kz750. none of their water cooled engines go 50K miles.
    <then...later that conversation> triumphs are TERRIBLE bikes! worst ones out there!

salesman #3 (triumph speed twin (love it!!!)): you ride a road king?? sit on this bobber! (me: im interested in the speed twin) no, you gotta try this bobber! its less than half the weight of your bike! (me: my old stripped down RK is only around 720 lbs) no, its over 900! try this bobber! (yes, he really said it again. me: walking out, saving $$$)

so you see, there are training challenges down here. but it DID save me over $10K! and if anybody tells you thats not a lot of dough, try stealing that much from them and see how they feel about it!!:lol3
    VX Rider likes this.
  15. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    btw, in person the triumph speed twin is IT for me. what a beautifully done motorcycle!

now if i could only team least annoying salesman #1 with the triumph dealership. i wonder if they are hiring...
    CCitis and JeffPM like this.
  16. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    This gets complicated; and it comes down to WHAT customers are buying, in a bike.

In poorer societies, and/or those that restrict auto ownership...a motorcycle is transportation. Japan. European nations. There, as here, mass transit is not always feasible for every need or trip. So, they buy two wheels.

Here, in the States, with (relatively) inexpensive automobile ownership...high-school kids can afford used cars, cripes...a motorcycle is mostly a toy. Sure, we all use them to commute; but it's still a choice, and not made to save money, but for pleasure.

Now. Things change; priorities shift. Budgets get ratcheted down. First to go are the toys...either they're sold, or any dream of owning them, is discarded. The potential-rider pool shrinks with hard times.

Times will have to get a LOT harder before large numbers of people begin buying bikes AS transportation. And when that happens they won't be buying R1250s or Africa Twins. They'll be leaning towards the modern scooters.

So...yeah...I don't think the cycle industry will bounce back up, unless it gets so bad for the kids, and they can't afford Uber anymore, that they start buying Kymco plastic-fantastics.
    sloryder, neanderthal and Electrical like this.
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a new rider, moving up from an EX500 with only one year of experience, I went to a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership with cash in hand to buy a Bandit 600. The salesman wanted to up sell me once he realized I had cash in hand. I was maybe okay with an R6 or GSXR-600, but he was trying to get me on an R1. I told him I didn’t feel ready for that much of a jump in power and he called me a pussy. I left and never returned to that store except to show that salesman the Triumph I bought instead. What a moron.
    DirtMedic and racer like this.
  18. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a customer, there are terrible sales people everywhere.

I've worked in sales/customer service, there are terrible customers everywhere.

I don't know which came first, but I know it's a circle at this point where bad salespeople make bad customers make bad salespeople, and so on.
    GlennR, Brtp4, snglfin and 4 others like this.
  19. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't be afraid to look them square in the eyes and call them out on their BS. I've found that 9 times out of 10 they'll backpedal HARD or drop it all together. The last 1/10 will double down, which is where I'll walk away mid-sentence if necessary. Maybe I'm just a jerk, and I'm sure I get called FAR worse once I'm gone, but my tolerance for that kind of stupidity is very slim.
    Tall Man and neanderthal like this.
  20. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    Pretty much... actually exactly how I found myself with a 2014 Tiger 800. Dealership owner threw me the keys and said, "Do me a favor, go put a few miles on this so I can use it as a demo bike, we need to make sure it's broken in." Fast forward and you can still hear my wife's voice "you bought this?". Too bad he sold that store and retired.