motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS

Charles.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    For every buyer like this, there are 10 who are all like "shut up and take my fucken money" and you all like "scuse me while I pretend to go talk to my manager".
    mitchxout and oneodd1 like this.
  3. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If there were so many happy eager buyers, the national average for car sales wouldn't be 11 per month.

I used to say that selling cars was harder than studying Mechanical Engineering at Berkeley (ME 2007, Go bears)... but my coworkers wouldnt believe me. They said selling cars was easy. So I asked them if they could simply double their income next month (I was making ~4x the average salesperson since I was selling 3x the number of cars, which earns you several bonuses on top of the 3x increase in wage from the sales themselves). That of course, would be hard, they said.
    chris4652009 and Vistavette like this.
  4. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Careful, your ignorance is showing
    Florida Lime likes this.
  5. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    This will disappear altogether as more manufacturers move to the Tesla sales model, and those who don't, fade into obscurity.
  6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    My bet—-
    Tesla fades to obscurity before any of the mainline manufacturers..
    What they are doing is not sustainable.
    wb57 and 250senuf like this.
  7. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although I tend to agree, I've also learned to never say never.
  8. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I addressed this in my initial post a page or two back.

Tesla is in a unique position of having a leading product, and current demand outpaces production capacity. Yet even then, Tesla DOES HAVE A SALESTEAM. I know people that work there. They do virtually the same thing I did answering questions over email and phone, except when it comes to price they just tell you msrp and you pay it. Yes, they earn commission based on results. Also, I believe I read a few years ago that Tesla makes about $19,000 on average per Model S, the highest profit per vehicle of any manufacturer. And you love the Tesla no haggle model why? You can buy any vehicle you want for MSRP and a salesperson will deliver it to your home with a bow if you ask them to. Hell, Ive delivered cars with bows to birthday parties for customers that paid invoice. If you ask, and you're nice enough, most salespeople will do anything for you.

But more importantly, as production capacity increases to surpass demand, someone will say "Hey.... how can we sell more of these things?" and the answer to that just might be "Let them sell on the spot and be taken home the same day!" and also "Give a discount of $1000 if that's going to steal a deal from the BMW Electric M3!" and then we will be back in the same position.

Will Tesla go the way of franchise dealerships? Maybe not. They may own all their own dealerships. Not sure what the big difference will be, other than a staff even better trained at how to extract top dollar from customers.
    Vistavette likes this.
  9. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to send an email blast to all my internet leads once every two weeks. Not all dealerships do it, and few do it 'correctly' (most send what looks like a digital flyer, which is retarded). It helped me sell a lot of cars (30+ a month towards the end).

I once sent a BLANK email on accident to 5000 people.

It did about just as well as any other well thought out email that took me an hour to compile.
  10. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Bingo.

Because I hate to haggle.

Since most cars of this models sell well below MSRP, that would be selling way above fair market price, which defeats the no-haggle policy.

Of course.

Dream on. You can haggle about inferior downmarket products like Android phones and Ford cars - even if they have better specs - but Apple phones and Tesla cars most likely will resolutely remain upmarket, fixed price, no hassle or shopping around idiocy. Note how Apple extracts most of the mobile phone market total profits, while shipping a small share of the total units. It is more profitable to keep bringing new well-designed models to the market, than to compete on price and disjoined features. Musk, as befits a startup founder, designs to what will be possible when the thing ships, instead of what is possible now - as traditional manufacturers do. They cannot keep up without deep restructuring of their whole engineering orgs.
  11. liberpolly

Oddometer:
  12. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    It's because your emails ended up in spam filters anyway.
  13. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did not for the most part. I purposely sent them all as plain text emails without any tracking pixels or formatting. Often random people would come into the dealership and tell me theyve been getting my emails for months, sometimes years. Furthermore, I received replies so obviously I know the read rate was greater than the ~1% reply rate per blast. The fact that a blank one worked as well as the content emails shows that I had built up enough familiarity that they felt comfortable even replying to nothing, because they knew what I usually write.

It's almost as if dealership staff that care, put attention into learning how to reduce the odds of their emails going to spam.

The dealership I started at was owned by someone that started at a Nissan dealer at 22. By 50 he owned half an automall, including half the land. He had quality salesmanagers that turned me from a clueless college grad into top 10 in the country in 6 months. He personally came down to give me my paycheck the first year I worked there the week I crossed $100k gross earnings, by June. He said it was the fastest of anyone at the automall including management.

Do you have any questions about car sales or are you just going to keep shooting random rebuttals?
    Davethestick, B02S4 and Vistavette like this.
  14. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ why did you stop selling cars ?
  15. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    liberpolly
    I hate to detract from the OP thread about “motorcycle salesmen” but have to point out to you that a Tesla is one of the biggest “hagglers” in the auto business.
    They took thousands (maybe in the millions?) of deposits for $35,000 model 3s for delivery by a certain date.
    Then the haggling started, date missed several times and then when they were ready to deliver the message went something like
    Dear customer....You can now configure and order your model 3 that we promised you last year.
    However it won’t be $35,000. You will have to upgrade a fair bit IF you really want one now. Like maybe $50 or $75 grand.

Is that not haggling on a grand scale? :lol3
    Vistavette likes this.
  16. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    What liberpolly is really saying is that he doesn't care what something costs, or how much profit there is to a company, as long as everyone paid the same. It makes him feel better, that way no one is better off than he is.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    But the bottom line point is many folks are tired of the new vehicle buying game because its aggravating, time consuming, and reduces the value of the purchase. Retailers are a service provider, its their job to be competitive with their competition, not the customers.
  18. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    While I agree, and despite my responses, I'm not an advocate for the current system, I don't see it ending my life time.
  19. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Although I would love to find the "test ride three bikes whenever you like" salesman, I seem to only get this one when I'm looking for bike X and he's firing up Y for me to test ride.

"I want this used sportbike you've had on your lot for 6 months here and I'll pay cash." "No, you want this Harley, let me write up the paperwork on it." "No, the CBR, how much paperwork does it take to get me on it? I have cash.". "Here you go, here's paperwork for the Harley, I wrote it up using your cash as down payment." "Go f*** yourself." (Shred paperwork)
    RVFlyer and wb57 like this.
  20. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In their defense, they're very good about providing test rides on Triumphs. I don't know if all Triumph dealers are the same or not as this is the only one I've set foot in since the 70s.