motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having worked in car sales for almost a decade, at several dealerships, I really have to wonder how often this can possibly be happening. I personally never saw it happen to THAT extent. Will we sometimes mention a similar and exciting alternative just in case? POSSIBLY, if we want to risk adding another variable into your purchase. There better be a GREAT reason to do so. I suppose there are idiots working in car sales, because there is a very low bar of entry (not a recent criminal), but they won't last long. If you got unlucky and landed on a moron that was making his life and your life more difficult, you unfortunately got unlucky and were working with someone on their way out.

There is nothing better, and makes salespeople happier, than someone that comes knowing exactly which vehicle in inventory they want. Odds of closing that deal are extremely high.
    Vistavette likes this.
  2. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  3. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it for 7 years, and made enough money while saving most of it, that I really didn't feel like doing it longer. The years and years of looking at credit apps with income statements of people in sales, programming, marketing, yada yada, made me a bit jaded for how long and hard I had to work for my money. I wasn't kidding when I said I felt selling 30+ cars a month was harder than studying mechanical engineering at Cal. And definitely harder than working AS an engineer. I would never say car sales is easy, or an EFFICIENT way to make money. But it is an opportunity for anyone that wants to work hard. I did, and because I enjoyed it I probably worked harder than I would in another industry because I could see the direct results of my labor paying me extra the next day or week. I used to tell myself it was a job that allowed me to work unlimited overtime. I used to go out for dinner and drinks with friends on Friday night, come back to the dealership at 10pm, and prep til Midnight for the deals I had coming up Saturday. (after a while you know whats a deal and what isnt, so I could get ready for the virtually done deals). This would allow me to breeze through the 2 done deals I lined up for Saturday, and work the floor to find one more to close. This would land me a 'hat trick' bonus, and made the time spent Friday night between 10pm and midnight worth several hundred dollars (average of $600 per sale all in, and $150 for the hat trick). So Id tell myself I made an extra $750 because I worked two hours on a Friday night. That kind of thinking becomes addicting after awhile, but also, can lead to mental burnout.

Eventually I called one of the customers I sold a car to, and told him I was interested in working as a salesperson for his software company. I had always tinkered with very basic programming online, even making myself a php/mysql/javascript web app to keep track of my working deals, because our CRM was so slow and annoying. That basic info made me decent enough to sell custom software for various industries.

I now make less than I did, but work a fraction of the time. In all honestly, I dream of going back to car sales often. It was just more exciting. If only I could make that money with weekends off and still be in that environment.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    It's not haggling, it's typical missing deadlines in a startup. If you are not missing any deadlines, you are trying hard enough, should go work as a car salesman instead. I am not sure about veracity of this part...
  5. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Absolutely not. What I care is about fair market price. Do you seriously not understand the difference?
  6. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    You obviously don't even understand how spam filters work, and you are trying to feign superiority? You dolt.
  7. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been a few years, but I remember spam filtering being based on an overall score of many different things. Some we didn't have much control of such as the CRM email server's overall reputation score. Other things we did. And I remember html based emails scoring worse than plain text. Obviously there were other rules, but I don't think the two things I mentioned are wrong.

And like I said, I got enough responses to make me top 10 or better in the country. Im either SO good to do so even with all my blasts going to spam... Or they were delivered at an acceptable rate.
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Well I have read this comment of yours 3 times and just can not interpret it???
    Would you restate in a different phraseology or explain as I’m very interested in what you say.

You must be a hoot around a campfire.
  9. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Tesla missed deadlines because, as a typical startup, they design not to what tech is currently available, but to what tech they think will be available when they will be shipping. Makes sense?
  10. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I strongly agree with you on the fact that the salesman that talks crap about a product on his lot is probably not going far in his career--typically, if there's something on the lot that he/she cannot see value in, but a customer does, then that's an easy sale. It takes a special kind of closed-minded "I can't see why you'd turn this other one down" outlook to be that dense.
  11. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get that often when dealing with dealerships that sell different makes and models. I went into a certian local moto dealership to look at their Genuine G400C, got to talking about my SSR Buccaneer, and he goes to badmouth my china bike. He's selling a goddamn china bike, and has a Benelli on deck he's trying to sell which is also an SSR bike... he doesn't realize that badmouthing my choice will not make me open and receptive to his bikes.

Charles.
    phughes likes this.
  12. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One variable in this whole thing is that motorcycle dealerships, even here in California, seem to operate as more of small businesses. They dont cost millions to buy, and thus arent run with exactly the same rigor as car dealerships because the owners, investors, banks, and even the manufacturer aren't involved in the same way. For example, the dealership mentioned above selling Chinese bikes (not knocking them or anyone that owns them) is more of a typical retail store or corner used car lot. I wouldn't really expect the same sales experience if I stepped into Bobs Blowout Used Cars as I would a Lexus dealership. This is probably whats causing some of the problems with missed expectations in the motorcycle world as well. We're expecting top level customer experience from more of a mom and pop type store and that sometimes misses the mark. It seems that offroad bike based dealerships, even MORE mom and pop actually, ran by true enthusiasts, get it right more often though.
    Tall Man and B02S4 like this.
  13. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From this site itself: https://advrider.com/mv-agusta-moves-to-online-ordering/

While I appreciate the sentiment, I dont see how this is any different than when people go to a dealership and order a vehicle? When I sold cars some of my favorite customers were the ones that came in and ordered a vehicle off the order sheet, exactly the way they wanted. We worked out the sale price, usually a % discount or $ discount from MSRP, because sometimes when ordering a vehicle you dont know the specific MSRP at time of order (weird but it happens when ordering early in the model lifecycle). 3 months later the vehicle would arrive, and the people would come and take it home after about 90 minutes of paperwork process.

The only difference I see is that via this online ordering system, you'll be agreeing to pay MSRP?

And what happens if you don't take delivery of this vehicle? I'd say about 10% of custom orders on cars were canceled or walked back on, and the people are always legally required to have their deposit returned. Only once or twice did we really get screwed on someone ordering a RED, manual, base model PLUS radar guided cruise control. It sat for a long time but eventually everything sells.
  14. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Yes, and that MSRP is not overinflated to allow sleazy dealers a negotiation room. It is already set at a fair market price.
  15. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    You only say it's fair market because you can't negotiate, but it appears that Tesla makes more per car than most other makes, except some of the exotics or maybe Porsche.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, only what you think because "the internet said so".
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    No, YOU have no idea. Of course I can negotiate. I can negotiate with my feet and buy another vehicle if I feel like I am being charged unfair price. Many people, doing it together, determine the fair market price. If the MSRP is fixed and above what market will bear, they will sell zero vehicles - neither Tesla nor MV Agusta are monopolies.

Tesla is still LOSING money, so it "appears" like that only to dolts like you.
  17. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    Tesla make a profit on a car, even if the company is losing money overall.
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    In which way? Are you saying that R&D is not part of the cost of making a car? Or some other unidentified idiocy that you are now ashamed to admit?
  19. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    They're not selling enough cars to cover expenses, but each car is estimated to have about 20% in profit... I've seen some estimates of 25%. That's double the average profit on most cars on the market today, excluding the exotics and Porsche
  20. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    As I said - please pay attention - that expenses are distributed as the part of the cost of making each car, so they cannot make a profit on each car by definition.