motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Hey Mat
    Thanks for not attacking me for what I said..
    Also, you are definitely not an old codger. I’m 70 next week and I think I’m “starting” to feel old.
    You are absolutely correct where you say irresponsible to buy a toy if can’t pay cash BUT that’s just not how our society works. We are way to irresponsible as a whole but that’s what makes things work in the retail sales world. Worked in that place for over 50 years.

If everyone your “young” age thought and acted like that, the economy would likely collapse.
    The motor sports dealers, RV/trailer dealers, marine dealers, etc. etc. would lose probably more than half their business.
    Imagine if all financing ended tonite for “toys” which could be “every nonessential” like a big screen TV and on and on.
    Tomorrow would be bad!

Anyway, good for you for the financial position your in but you “are” the exception I feel.
  2. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    It won't be long before you'll be wishing you were 40 again. You haven't started yet, but you'll find that the older you get, the faster time will fly by.........
    Vistavette and liberpolly like this.
  3. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please don't discourage folks from buying a new bike on a note, if it were not for them a cheap bastard like I would have none.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I honestly went most of my life buying only used motorcycles that I could afford with the money I could scrimp together. $2500 bikes, $500 bikes in need of a refresh/restore, and all prices in between. But only within the last 5 years did I decide to buy a couple of new bike with loans. And it was glorious! I'm now sick of all my vintage bikes, and I just want something new that only needs maintenance -- not constant repair.

Charles.
  5. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my lifetime of 62 years I have never bought a new automobile, however I have purchased two new motorcycles, a 77 GS 550 paid cash, and an 06 Buell that I financed part of it, yes new ones are nice.
  6. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In today's environment of super low interest rates, and pretty good returns from most investment vehicles, I to try to take advantage of those rates if I'm going to buy something anyway. I wouldn't normally finance a motorcycle, or a car etc. as I'm in the position to not have to do that. But, for example, my last car purchase, I was able to find a rate of 1.99%. and not give up any other kind of incentive. I just can't pass up a rate like that, my money does so much better elsewhere.

Recently however, I've been buying used motorcycles. My current BMW K1600 GTL was an absolute bargain compared to a brand new one, and in Nevada, we don't have to pay sales tax on private party sales. So that's an additional 8.25% that I didn't have to pay to the state of Nevada. At least my area, sales tax is going up up up. They just passed another quarter percent increase in the sales tax. I'm going to continue to look for good late model used vehicles that I can purchase from a private owner to avoid paying the state it's outrageous amount of sales tax.
  7. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The older I get, the faster I was.
    oneodd1 likes this.
  8. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Paid cash for both of my Triumphs. Both have been as reliable as I'd expect a new bike to be. Purchased well with farkles already added I owned them for a couple years before the market depreciated to the same level as I paid, meaning I got to ride them essentially for free for 2-3 years.

But y'all who like new bikes please continue to buy them. Add farkles too. Future me thanks you.
    ZappBranigan likes this.
  9. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a used HD from a dealer...
    flat price, no sales tax.
    Not all screw you.