motorcycle salesmen—is it just ME??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sshbsn, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But.....did you try the Bobber?
    3sum, neanderthal and sshbsn like this.
  2. NurseBill

NurseBill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've bought a few new motorcycles and ATV's over the years. Probably one of the best salesmen I had is when I bought my 2007 Ninja 500 from a dinky little Kawasaki dealer in central PA. No pressure no hype, basically he said here's the keys to take it for a ride and here's the price which was more than fair. Shame they don't sell new bikes anymore. Stopped selling new bikes several years ago and just has parts, service and a few used units.

I bought my KLX from a sort of larger dealer but I had an older salesman. Guy was in his 60's and he'd been selling awhile. Same deal, keys to try it out and a fair price.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To the OP, good luck with your search. I have not ridden one yet, but the Speed Twin is a really nice looking bike! I think I've only purchased 2 motorcycles brand new in my life. I prefer lightly used and pre-farkled. Finding a good dealership can be a struggle.
  4. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say I'm looking at a 2019 bike with an MSRP of 16000. Dealer say that's the price plus 1000 in Fees. How much are they making on this? I'd feel like a fool paying that much for an FJR because they depreciate like crazy the first year. Are they greedy or just running a business where I can conveniently walk in an buy an amazing bike?
  5. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience with San Diego BMW motorcycles was not very positive. I ended up talking with the GM, who pretended to care, but didn't, so wrote a letter to corporate saying how they treat their customers and the shenanigans they pull. Contrast that with Triumph of San Diego, which is when I am actually in the market for a Zero DSR, they are going to be from whom I buy. Similar experience to some of y'all up above: here are the keys, take it out, enjoy it, let us know what you think, when you're in the market, please remember us.
  6. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Took my damaged bike to a Honda dealer for them to estimate repair cost. I walked by the salesman's desk and asked him to give me a price on the same bike. He didn't have the exact one in stock but could get it. I didn't have much time so I left my info; call me, or better yet email me the price.

I had to go back to that dealership twice; once to get my keys, oops, and the second time to take my SPOT tracker off the bike since it was written off. Talked to the salesman each time "let me know what the price is so I can make arrangements."

Did he email me? Call me with the price? Nope. It was "when can you come in so we can get you on a new bike?"

Dude all you had to do was gimme a price so I could decide how much stock to sell, or for me to talk to my credit union about financing.

Anyway, I take my new bike (not purchased through them) for service a few weeks later. I run into him. "Hey, neanderthal, i'm glad to see you. Are you ready to get your new bike.They're in the warehouse now so I could get one within the week."

Me "i actually brought my new bike in for service. I asked you for the price three times in person, once when i called you back, and also when I responded to your email. You did not seem interested in addressing what I was asking for so I got it somewhere else. They told me the price when I asked for it, I thought about it for a second, said i'll take it and signed on the dotted line. We didn't negotiate or anything, can you believe that? And because he gave me such a good price I went with his financing even though I had my own tentatively lined up already. I even bought the extended warranty!!!"
    Disappointment was writ all over his face.

Great service department. Terrible salesforce.
  7. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have access to GM Employee pricing and wanted to order a 2017 Corvette. I called I guy I know at a local dealership, gave him the specs, and three months later he couldn't get the car ordered. I called a guy off the Corvette forum in AZ ( I live in NV). He ordered the car with me on the phone, it was built and delivered in 60 days.
    TonyKZ1 and neanderthal like this.
  8. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Some people can't be bothered. Some people put in the effort.
    Davethestick likes this.
  9. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bike just showed up!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/for-sale-2018-kawasaki-z900rs-cafe.1398937/
  10. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have bought my last 2 Kawasaki's through Costco buying program. No freight, no setup fees and hundreds off the MSRP. I have been using Costco for all my car/truck/camping purchases.

This way you don't have to argue and do the fricken game. CC sets the price and thats it.
  11. hb9400

hb9400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was kicking the tires on the web for a VStar 1300 / 950 Tourer last weekend and saw a nice used 950T in a dealership in AL not far from me. Ad said low miles so I sent an email thru their site wanting to know the miles. I expected to hear back by Tues at least thinking they would be off on Monday. Didn't hear back from a sales guy until Thursday afternoon and he started his voice message by saying the bike had been sold. Explain to me how it takes that many days to answer a simple email.
    A dealership's business is to communicate with their customers. I've bought 3 new bikes off the same sales person in the last 3 years. Each deal has been more than fair and have been offered numerous demos I'm sure because I've purchased from him.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a new bike this past March. I did the deal entirely by email and text. I never even spoke to the guy until the day I walked in to pick it up.
    neanderthal and 3sum like this.
  13. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Last year I started thinking it was time for a new bike and locked in on the new Tracer GT. Couldn’t find one in stock anywhere until I happened to be in an area of Atlanta an hour away from home. I was checking it over when an early 20’s dude walked up (I’m 48). Started asking questions and dropped some things about the bike I knew wasn’t the case to test his knowledge (he failed - 1st strike). Then I mentioned a test ride and he unequivocally said that wouldn’t happen (strike 2), but mentioned they had an FJ-09 they took on trade that I could test ride (strike 3 - it’s not the same bike!) This was in November when of course bikes aren’t flying out the door, so his attitude was misguided.
    I saw the dealer that is 1/4 mile from work that had the Tracer advertised for $1700 off MSRP and have bought bikes/jet skis from them years ago, but swore them off years ago because the owner is a fucking douchebag.
    I decided to swallow my pride and emailed them. The “internet sales mgr” emailed me right back saying he didn’t have one but could within a week. I went one day after work, put a deposit on one, and four days later he called me to come get it. It turned out the dealer they got it from was the one that I had visited four months earlier.
    After buying the bike, I dropped another $2500+ on OEM accessories within a month.
    Sometimes it works to your benefit to swallow some pride and take the deal even if it’s a place you don’t like.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  14. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I tried a few years ago--I joined Costco specifically for that. It didn't work. If the Costco program works better now (if I can actually expect to find a dealer that will actually give me the Costco price), I guess I could try again . When it seems like a good time to buy a brand new bike anyway.
    Vistavette likes this.
  15. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy It'll Shine When it Shines

Oddometer:
    The local Honda dealer had a used bike I was interested in. I got to ride it, liked it, sat down with the salesman to talk numbers. He gave me a crappy trade in value. I expect that, but he knew I wanted the bike, so he focused on financing, which I told him repeatedly I didn't want to do. Victory radiated from his face right up to the moment I stood up and said "thanks but no thanks". Three months later they dropped the price by a grand so I stopped in with the aborted paperwork and told a different salesman (the first wasn't working that day) that if they will honor the trade in value, I'll pay cash right now. They did and I did. It's so much simpler when they pay attention to what is being said.

The way I see it, if I say I don't want to finance it and they keep pushing for it, that salesman is calling me a liar. I prefer to deal with straight forward people.
    TonyKZ1 and neanderthal like this.
  16. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The way the Costco deal works is that the participating dealership agrees to sell each model at a specific price or $ over invoice etc. If they won't, then let Costco know and they'll pull the agreement from them. If that area is short on dealerships for that particular brand, or the item is hot, the program isn't going to work so well.
    neanderthal likes this.
  17. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Costco gave me two dealer contacts for the bike I tried. One told me they weren't part of the Costco program anymore, and the other said they wouldn't let me know the price unless I had committed to buy. I wanted the get the price so I could make a decision, not to make a decision so I could get the price.

I saw an add on Craigslist from another dealer for a used bike that interested me at a reasonable price. Rode it. Bought it. Done.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  18. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    No price until you sign paperwork? How ridiculous.
    neanderthal likes this.
  19. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    My guess was lying and saying I was committed to buy would have been enough. But I was done with them--I didn't try the Costco program to play dealer games. I tried it to have a simple straightforward way to buy at a good price, and I didn't find it. It's 4 years later, and maybe things have changed.
    3sum likes this.
  20. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Generally they are supposed to give you the price, upfront with no quibbling. In person. If you're calling i'm not sure that they can give you the price on the phone.

If you went there in person and they wouldn't give you the price you should have called the Costco 800 number again. but I can see how the distate with the whole experience would have put you off completely.
    Vistavette likes this.