Motorcycle Shipping to US from UK?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RossCranford, Sep 7, 2008.

1. RossCranford

RossCranford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

My first post on these boards! Really looking forward to seeing what I can learn from everyone :)

To cut a long story short, I'm organising a ride for (so far) four people, all of us from Scotland - we'll be riding from Alaska to Miami sometime next year, and hoping to raise a bit of money for charity along the way!

I'm at the first stage of planning - i.e. how the heck do I get our bikes from Scotland to Alaska?! So far I've had one quote from a dedicated motorcycle shipping company, but they only do air freight and it was frighteningly expensive, and since we're hoping to donate all we can to charity we'd rather not blow our money on expensive shipping!

Does anyone have experience of any good surface shipping companies that would be able to manage the entire transit from Scotland to Alaska?

'elp!

Cheers!

Ross

P.S. My bike's an R1200GS - two of the other guys have yet to pass their tests (for an added bit of pressure!)
  2. Mr Bowler Hat

Mr Bowler Hat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ross

I'm hopefully shipping my Varadero over next June to do the D2D and Alaska for 2/3 weeks :D :D

I took my ZX12 over to the States in 2006 with 2WGlobal. Apart from a few delays here and there shipping was a piece of cake. Speak to Tony White at the Southampton office. I'll be using them to ship to Seattle. They'll sort all your paperwork out for you.

You'l find shipping details to the USA on the Horizons Unlimited site too. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/transport/shippingQueryResults.php

I still have all the shipping docs, customs forms and vehicle ins papers if you need to now what's required in detail.

Andy aka Mr Hat
  3. RossCranford

RossCranford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy!

That's ace, thanks a lot - google was struggling to turn up anybody that I'd trust with my bike!

I'll keep you posted on progress ;)

Ross
  4. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get in touch with Woodland International, the have offices in the UK and US. Shipping via boat takes around 5 days plus a few extra days in customs. They do all the paperwork for you so all you have to do is pickup the shipment/crate.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Switch the ride from Miami to AK & buy a bike in Miami or south FL and save the shipping money-sell or leave on consignment for sale in AK. FL is absolutely full of bikes for sale-I don't live there , so cannot help with the details
  6. RossCranford

RossCranford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the idea was to end up someplace warm :)

I emailed Tony White - no reply - might give him a call this week...
  7. ozrockrat

ozrockrat Ozrockrat

Oddometer:
    It was a friend of a friend deal. I crated it in near London (down near the Lakeside Shopping Centre Thurock I think it was called).

Took about 6 weeks to get to the USA and was a bit of a pain to get released on the Phoenix end (and that was a US registered bike in my name)

I think the suggestion of one of the previous posters about buying at one end and selling at the other has merit. If you figure $1200 at either end for shipping and the time you are without bikes. Soon makes a couple of 2nd hand KLR's look cheap.
  8. RossCranford

RossCranford Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well, so much for that idea...

so far the only quote i've had (and only one of about 5 companies i've contacted has replied) is £1500 one way to alaska... not even quoted me for the miami leg yet.

sigh.
  9. V@lentino

V@lentino Inspektor

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Look at these guys: http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/. We used them for insurance while riding our canadian plated bike in Europe last summer. I shipped my ST from Winnipeg to Amsterdam, on Air Canada YWG-YYC surface than YYC-FRA plane and FRA-AMS surface again, did all the crating and paperwork myself. We had a discounted price which amounted to approx Cdn $1800.00 each way. Maybe consider if you can ship from Glasgow to Toronto or London to Toronto, check also with local airlines.

Good luck.
  10. Mortis (the Brit)

Mortis (the Brit) Seeker of the truth

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you've tried these but I've heard good things about them and I'll probably be using them myself.

http://www.hctravel.com/

Please let us know which sites you've used and your thoughts on them.
  11. gsrideruk

gsrideruk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look up james cargo on the google thingy heathrow to anchorage about £1150
    will prob use them next year for our 3 GS's to Alaska
  12. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shipping is expensive.

Consider buying bikes here and selling them when you're through. There are some cons, of course, but the cost is far cheaper than shipping your own.

Jamie
  13. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer:
    I'm in Tampa, about 4 hours from Miami, and go down there fairly often. I'm also connected to some of the dealers in Florida. We could check with them to see what used bikes are in the area for purchase. If I can help, don't hesitate to yell!

Doug
  14. Flemdog

Flemdog n00b

Oddometer:
    You could probably crate it and ship it by boat, but you'd likely have to have it transported overland through the U.S. to get to the west coast and shipped to Alaska. I've never done anything that complex, but you A1autotransport is a good company I've used in the past and they would be able to coordinate something like that. not sure what the cost would be, but I'm guessing it's a lot either way you slice it.
  15. Flemdog

Flemdog n00b

Oddometer:
    2008 ... nevermind. Curious how much that ended up costing though.
  16. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This summer and last Air Canada has had a sale on air shipping motorcycles.
    You would have to drop off your bikes at a major UK airport and pick them up at an airport in Canada.
    We have had plenty of Brits riding around Canada using this program.
    If you would like to pick the bikes up in Vancouver and then ride to Alaska, this would be possible.
    On the other hand, you would have to fly them back from an airport in Canada (say Halifax).
    I don't know how helpful this is (or any help at all) but the program is in place so I mention it.