Motorcycle shippment

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jbeasty, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Jbeasty

Jbeasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering how to go about purchasing a bike out of state and shipping it home... I know its done on e-bay all the time, so maybe someone here can advise. Ive seen multiple pics and am considering buying the bike without first checking it out - yikes! How do I safely pay for the bike and have it shipped, while never being in attendance? Can the freight company deliver payment upon recieving the bike? How does Pay-pal work, or is that just an E-Bay thing? From the few quote's I've gotten so far, this seems like it may be cost prohibitive. Thanks, JBeasty
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did this. The cheap way. I rode the thing home. It only took four riding days, and one drinking beer.

Go to the PayPal site and read all about it.

I trusted the guy I bought my new-to-me GSA from. Great guy. Disclosed everything. I love the bike. And a couple thousand miles home to get aquainted with it.

Ask about servicing records, and who was doing the servicing. Maybe check with that shop.

On Ebay you will need some sort of "Snipe" tool. I lost a great auction by $72.
    A common trick is for a bidder to submit a bid at some odd amount, like $10,113.74. This means if you have set your limit at $10,200, you lose. Since the minimum bid of $100 increase puts the next bid over your limit.
    The winning bids occur in the last few seconds of an auction so bidding by hand is probably not going to work. The software bids will go in under the last five seconds. At least that's what I have seen and been schooled in.
    Another thing, if the seller is a dealer, they may be interested in ending the auction early and selling it to you for the right offer. My advice is to call them.

Your PayPal account needs to be verified prior to you attempting pay for the item. I'd set that all up first if I were you.
    It usually takes a couple of days to complete.

I'd also check out the sellers state for DMV stuff and forms if the seller is not a dealer. The states I've dealt with have had forms available online.

It helps to have relatives with large undeveloped plots of land, for just in case it all goes pear-shaped...
  3. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    I just used AAA for the 5th time. $500.00 from Texas to Washington. No problems.
  4. dci1640

dci1640 Muddie Waters

Oddometer:
    Can you provide a link and or phone number? And are you talking AAA, as in American Automobile Association? Here’s the link: www.aaa.com… but no mention of motorcycle transport / hauling / shipping? I ask because it was a nightmare getting my bike shipped from WA to NJ. And I now need to move it from NJ to AZ. :huh. Don't ASK!!!

micapeak has a bunch of companies listed... but no comments or ratings unfortunately!!! The company I used out of San Diego SUCKED!!! Name coming soon!
  5. TiWorld

TiWorld John

Oddometer:
    I've used JC Motors several times from east coast to west, central US to west,... perfect every time. Have shipped Ducatis and had them ship my '04 GS from Baltimore to Los Angeles--no problems (around $700). Their number is 800.730.3151 x227 (Donna). Donna is helpful, she stays in touch and they've been fantastic. Probably not the cheapest, but they know their business and do it well. Good luck, John :D
  6. dci1640

dci1640 Muddie Waters

Oddometer: