1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Motorcycle videos videos videos

Discussion in 'Photos' started by halfthrottle, Aug 3, 2009.

1. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bet you puckered up during that first bit :lol3 I know I would have

I like that you narrated it. Would like to give that a shot one day
    NotiersFrontiers likes this.
  2. NotiersFrontiers

NotiersFrontiers Crazy Adventure Man

Oddometer:
    There was extreme puckering... still slightly to this day...
    That was my first voice over.. I think it connects more, and adds more drama than just music in the background... I will be doing that from here on out.
    CaseyB likes this.
  3. counter shaft

counter shaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A fuel pump issue meant the big 'berg couldn't come out to play. Luckily there was a Honda c90 ready to go.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. inzell

inzell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    syntec4 and DesertPilot like this.
  5. JoséLuiz

JoséLuiz www.alpesdemoto.com

Oddometer:
    syntec4 and CaseyB like this.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest MCV production. I fail to clear the 90 footer :doh As expected it sucked but I'll build up the courage to hit it with more speed and hit it next effort.

Enjoy! :dllama:

CaseyB likes this.
  7. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Man have there been advances in drones and stabilized helmet cams! Lots of great stuff on this thread showing that off!

My beef with video is how long it takes to shoot and/or edit to make the video match with what I imagine in my head. I don't want to take away riding time to set up shots, unpack drones or re-ride areas. When I go with my friends, we just want to blast, so one of us will race ahead to a cool area, slam on the brakes and whip out a point-and-shooter to get a photo/video of a guy whipping by. The side-of-the-trail view is missing from most guys' videos in favor of helmet-cam footage which is a shame because helmet cam alone can get monotonous. What I really like is a combination of lots of different angles... drones, POV, and ride-by stuff, all stitched together in a quick and snappy video (it has to be really good to keep me interested for 10 minutes). Scenery shots, guys goofing around, snippets from the web all welcome in moderation as well.

Anyway, here's a video of ride-bys and screwing around in Northern Tanzania from December. It could be so much better. The area was so amazing, I would have loved to have drone footage of it. The RR is HERE. It's still how I like to remember my rides best.

Question for the vid editors here (PM me if you want to comment, but without clogging up this thread): Why does the video look jerky, particularly when panning to follow a rider. You'll see it in the vid. I record on the highest quality in my camera, edit in Movavi Video Editor and save as a .MOV at 1920x1080 at 25fps. I suspect it's the stabilizing algorithm in my video editor, but I'm so shaky I have to stabilize in post-production!
    Lazarus12, CaseyB, flei and 1 other person like this.
  8. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    syntec4 and CaseyB like this.
  9. counter shaft

counter shaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most of my cameras have I.S. either built into the body, or built into the lens. It works ok, BUT, it's primarily designed for photo work. Not video. I know the newer GoPros have software IS, but mine (3+silver/black) don't have IS at all. For onboard POV video on GoPro, i normally use the chest mount, and my body acts as the 'image stabiliser'.

If theres wind blowing and its hard to hold a camera stable, or its getting a bit dark and you still need a faster shutter speed.. IS might help you get away with it - letting you shoot at 1/120 instead of 1/60 or 1/30 without.
    IMO, camera I.S. helps, but doesn't help as much as you'd like when shooting video. It's good for helping with camera shake, but not so much with helping smooth camera movement.
    If your camera has a 'rolling shutter' is can make fast panning movements look skewed too.

IMO, if you want silky smooth video, either use a tripod or a gyro stabilised camera (you can get small ones that hold a phone or compact camera these days)

I was getting a bit tired of the POV GoPro videos a few years ago and started using a mini tripod. Results are ok, but it takes a few seconds longer to set up, and a bit more thinking in terms of 'framing' the shot. The time spent framing and setting up pays for itself in terms of time saved editing.

Here's a short video shot using a mini tripod and a small camera:

CaseyB and Osadabwa like this.
  10. NotiersFrontiers

NotiersFrontiers Crazy Adventure Man

Oddometer:
    The Bolivian Salt Flats... Incredible to ride on, but soooo hazardous to the bike! - Was it worth it? Hell Yes.

11. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    What camera are you using? I think I saw you zoom in one part of the vid

I really like the logo on that shirt

Pretty cool. Made it look smooth and effortless. Even though it was probably a pita setting up the camera in all those different spots.

Only live once.

I took a fairly new jeep and did the outer banks from the bottom to top. (Lots of beach driving). I knew it was horrible for a vehicle but I don’t regret it.
    [​IMG]

Even though a few years later I’m still finding sand in random spots

I’m feeling really cooped up at the moment, don't mean to come off like a post whore :lol3

Alright, I'm off to go into this thread in reverse. Or maybe start from the beginning.
    NotiersFrontiers likes this.
  12. Jacl-Kampuchea

Jacl-Kampuchea Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    Here's a clip of me riding my Suzuki 110cc Underbone scooty around a small Cambodian town.

It's a 14 year old bike, with an estimated 160'000km and one engine rebuild.

And, yeah, nobody cares much about lane discipline over here, before somebody jumps in about that. . .

13. Piston Slap

Piston Slap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Offroad adventures are one of the many reasons I got an adventure bike. I lived the life of a sportbike and while I still love the idea of owning one someday again, I always found myself looking to the side roads and trails that were dirt. Today's video is a perfect example of what I would have missed if I continued the path with my old sportbike.
    bigdave-gs and TheAdmiral like this.
  14. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    Unexpectedly solo motorcycle camping in the Arizona desert

15. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    What rear tire have you settled on ? I heard you didn't like the Tractionator.
  16. SoCalAdventure

SoCalAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love that sign! Drive by it on my way to/from Prescott Valley. Will need to take the bikes out there one of these days instead of flying by in the car.
  17. SoCalAdventure

SoCalAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Om so I am way out of my league in the video equipment, filming, editing, production with the content I see on this site. Wow - some of this stuff if TV/streaming high-quality content.

My first attempt with an old school GoPro Hero - the original silver body H1. Had a heck of a time getting it to play nicely with my MacBook Air. Whole other story. Then wasn't able to download a proper GoPro editing app so used the native IMovies. That was a painful learning experience.

Anyway - was fun until the camera flipped down after a nice bump on the way to the real dirt road. Last 1/2 hour of video the camera filmed my gas tank and jacket. DOH!

Learned some good lessons.

Camera filmed in HD for 43 minutes then ran out of memory. That with a 4 GB SD card. Expect to get several hours out of 16 or 32 GB card.

Place the camera higher up on my chest for a better view

Wrap a rubber band around the camera as shortly after the last water crossing when I hit a good bump the camera rotated down to film the gas tank.

Try to reach the shutter control to turn it on/off while riding.

Using IMovies was not the easiest video tool around.

Looking forward to capturing some videos in the dirt!
    LeMaitre likes this.
  18. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is on front page of ADV
    Phantom Lake: Adventure Riding Amazon Prime Series
    Worth a Look, Not just another Reality-TV Show im watching it now...... The armchair quaterbacks will have a field day with this!
    SoCalAdventure likes this.
  19. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden this trail 3-4 times but cheated every time ona trials bike!
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like your dropping frames. When the camera is stationary and just the subject is moving the studder is gone, that to me is a sign of one of the processing systems (camera or editing sw) not keeping up or too slow of a frame rate for what your trying to do. A good test would be to do a smooth pan at 30fps and again @ 60fps. If the symptom disappears at higher frame rates then that's the culprit, if not you might need to change out some gear or software. BTW, IMO 25~30 fps is a waste of time for an action video if you expect to get smooth crisp video of fast moving objects.
    mrmushman and Osadabwa like this.