Motorcyclepedia All Motorcycle Labor Day Weekend (Lots of Pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Rick G, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    My job keeps me busy with lots of travel (by car) with precious little time to ride. However I do set aside some time for riding, and I planned an extended Labor Day Weekend to get away.

Labor Day weekend also means the wonderful Finger Lakes Rally in scenic Watkins Glen NY. I have been going to this rally ever since I bought my first BMW in the late 90's. It is hosted by the BMW Finger Lakes Club and is quite possibly the best regional rally in the US! This year, I decided to extend my trip as I really needed to get away by myself on my much under utilized Beemer Roadster. All I needed was a destination. I found it while reading an article in Rider Magazine, The Motorcyclepedia Museum in Newburgh NY, about 200 miles south east of the rally. I love a good motorcycle museum so this became my destination for the extended part of my trip. The plan was to tour back roads through PA on the way to the museum and then head to the rally to meet up with RickgWife and RickgWifeSister who were driving up with the BIG TENT! I would also be meeting up with a couple of riding buddies from the Pittsburgh area who were riding up on a couple of classic Airheads to put into the bike show.

All packed and ready to go!

[​IMG]

My home in Euclid OH is only about 2 miles from US 6 which is my direct route east out of OH and into PA. In Andover OH Route 6 turns north, but I stayed east and crossed over Pymatuming Reservoir, a 2 mile land bridge which crosses the OH / PA border. I love riding across this bridge as you are close to the water and you have beautiful views in all directions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was beautiful, and I was digging my new RC3 Light suit. I am very familiar with Western PA and I was exploring some beautiful back roads in my riding zone, even enjoying some dirt roads through the wilderness.

[​IMG]

A bit later back on paved roads, I came up over a rise and saw what looked like either a rock or a leaf in the middle of the road. It was right in line with my tires and I made a judgment call that either way, it wasn't an issue and did not adjust my path. I should have, as just before hitting it, I looked down and saw it was a turtle. Too late now, sorry little fella! I hit it square, no drama for me at least and continued on my way feeling a little sad. Almost immediately I started to feel a wiggle in the rear of my bike. A tell tell sign that something was wrong. I was losing air and fast! I coasted to a stop and this is what I found.

[​IMG]

I guess this is God's way of punishing me for running over one of his little creatures. However, I came prepared and had a tire repair kit and pump. I figured 30 minutes and I would be back on the road. Wrong! The mushroom plugs I had with me, were not adequate and pulled right though the puncture. And their was a 2nd smaller hole right next to the big one. No road side repair for me, I need a new tire! Fortunately, I had cell service and called my roadside assistance through my insurance company. They found someone to come and get me, but he wanted $175 more than what the policy would pay for. YIKES! Some roadside assistance! But I needed a tow, so I had them send him, while I called the shop roadside assistance suggested, it was 30 miles in the wrong direction, but they had a tire that would work, a Pilot Power 3, not my choice, but it would work. However the shop was not to enthused about me arriving late in the afternoon and would not guarantee that they could get it on for me till the next day.

So, I looked for another shop while I waited in the shade on the side of the road. I am really glad I now have a smart phone with internet service. I Googled motorcycle shops near me and found an independent repair shop right on the route I would be taking, only 22 miles away. I called and spoke to a nice lady who was the owners wife, I explained my situation and she said her husband Dale would surely help as he was an avid motorcyclist. She put him on the phone and after telling him my plight, told me that he has a Metzler Z6 and he would come and get me for $100! Great! I cancelled the roadside assistance and relaxed in the shade with my Bluetooth speaker, a bottle of water and a couple of granola bars while I waited for my new friend to come and rescue me.

[​IMG]

Back at the shop, Dale's son and another worker were immediately on it, while Dale's wife Lisa fed me some pizza and a Coke!

[​IMG]

This is Dale Bundy (no relation to Al Bundy, I asked LOL), owner of www.BrookvilleMotorsports.com. If you are in the Brookville, Cooks Forest or Marienville area and need some help, give him a call! He was very fair with me, not even charging me for labor on the tire. Total damage including the tow, tire and pizza was about $300. A couple hundred less than what my roadside assistance would have been. There are still some good folks out there!!!

[​IMG]

Less than 45 minutes after arriving at Dale's shop I was back on the road only delayed about 3 hours. I was hoping to get to the Lock Haven or Williamsport area and I still had time to get there on some fun roads. My route took me on 948 through Clear Creek State Forest to Ridgeway and then onto Weedville for 555 through Elk State Forest. Then it was Route 120 through Renovo where I came up couple of HD riders who were intent on keeping me safe by riding 5 MPH under the posted speed limit. Of course, at first opportunity I passed them both with one clean pass, put a safe distance between us and settled back into my +5-10 over pace. Then I heard the BLATTTT!!!! I look in my mirror, and this ape hanger, feet straight out rider with no gear to speak of, wants to hang with me. Now I don't usually allow myself to get sucked into games, but on this beautiful day, on this nicely paved road with long gentle sweepers, I could not resist and quickly wicked it up from 60-65 to 85+, my Beemer Roadster coming into the sweet spot of its power band, hugging the road as I leaned into the first sweeper using gentle acceleration through the apex and powering out at 100+ in 4th gear. I never did see them again as I maintained that pace for about 10 miles before settling down to my normal 60-65 on this 55 limit road. Yes I had a smug shit eating grin the whole time!

I checked into my Holiday Inn in downtown Williamsport using my points, one of the perks of the frequent travel of my job. Walked to a nice dinner, got a good nights sleep and woke up refreshed and ready to ride.

As I am originally am from Pittsburgh, and have traveled western and central PA for business and pleasure, I am not as familiar with the eastern part of the state so these were mostly new roads for me. As I crossed into NY, I particularly liked Route 97 which follows the NY / PA border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived at my Holiday Inn in Montgomery NY with no drama and the memory of the road side pick up dwindling fast. Tomorrow Motorcycle Mecca with Motorcyclpedia!
  2. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I arrived bright and early. I was the only one in the parking lot waiting to get in. This will be great!

[​IMG]

Someone's forgotten bike!

[​IMG]

This is just inside the door

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The featured display at the museum is an Indian Time Line display with a production Indian from every year of the original factory. Very cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Indians!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wood1 and diegosaenz like this.
  3. Rick G

Oddometer:
    The museum is heavily represented by American Brands, many of whom of have been forgotten except for enthusiasts who keep these brands alive by restoring them to their former glory and then loaning them to museums such as this one for all to enjoy. Of course there are also a sprinkling of brands from around the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the Board Track Bikes! Those guys had BALLS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closely related to the Board Track Racers are these Velodrome Cycle Trainers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mandatory Beemer!

[​IMG]

More obscure brands.

[​IMG]

A German Wankel! I remember seeing one of these at the Barber and saw one once on the road at a vintage motorcycle event.

[​IMG]

Not exactly rare, but a couple of significant beauties none the less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ariel Square Four. Perhaps one of the most unique and beautiful engines of all time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Japanese invasion sealed the fate of the British twins.

[​IMG]
  4. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclepedia has a nice collection of Cycle Cars, cars with the heart of a motorcycle. Often times these were used for the circus, parades or even the Wall of Death stunt shows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another cool collection are the miniature working motorcycles. These are 1/10 scale or smaller bikes with working engines that you can actually ride. Used mostly at shows they have intricate detail and are very cool to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have not one but two Tom & Jerry Motorcycle Arcade Rides. Fun for the kids!

[​IMG]
  5. Rick G

Oddometer:
    The earliest known motorcycles. These are reproductions, but very nice ones that show the ingenuity of our forefathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some ideas are best forgotten such as this side by side bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or this contraption.

[​IMG]

But these are kind of cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Military Bikes:

This one is Bad ASS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a chance to take one of these for a spin down at the Wheels Through Time Museum when the RA had their rally at the Biltmore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Rick G

Oddometer:
    More forgotten brands, starting with Thor. What a great name for a motorcycle! I wonder what they would look like today if they had survived?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pierce:

[​IMG]

This engine looks like a piece of art!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Pope! I suppose it is a religious experience to ride it!

[​IMG]

The Barber also has one of these. Der Bohmerland. Of course the Barber has one of just about everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yale:

[​IMG]

Cleveland:

[​IMG]

Excelsior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vincent Black Shadow! One of the most beautiful bikes ever designed. Not to mention innovative and before its time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunbeam:

[​IMG]

Another Ariel:

[​IMG]

A unique solution to riding on the rails!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ice cream anyone?? Service cars are pretty cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Now that I had my fill of motorcycles, it was time to head to Watkins Glen and the BMW Finger Lakes Rally and meet up with my wife and sister in law, not to mention many motorcycle friends.. I chose a nice route through NY past the Catskills but the only picture I took was of my lunch in Liberty NY.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it looked better than it tasted as it was just a bit on the too greasy side of satisfactory. It laid heavy in my stomach as I made the final hundred miles or so to Watkins Glen State Park, home of the rally. As planned my wife had our compound set up. For Christmas last year she wanted to replace her old Coleman Cabin style tent with something a bit more modern. We settled on the REI Kingdome 8 tent with Garage attachment. It is a 2 room tent and is actually quite nice as it should be for $500! The 8 in the name refers to the number of campers it can comfortably accommodate, however 8 isn't big enough for her and sister, so she also brought our 6 person Coleman that we use to use off our GS. Once you go that big, along came the cots. 10x10 pop up, portable picnic table etc. But it was all set up when I got there so why am I bitching?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other folks have a simpler solution to their camping needs such as our rally neighbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that pennytech and he pulls it not with a Rat bike, but a brand new $30,000 Goldwing.

[​IMG]

In recent years, the classic BMW's have been mostly absent with only a few diehards bringing them to the rally. This year their was a bit of a resurgence with Airheads all over the place, many being ridden by younger guys and gals. What was once old and stodgy is now considered cool. Of course when you go to restore or customize an Airhead, BMW still supports most parts, making them good candidates for projects. The bike show this year was one of the better ones in memory. My buddy John won the /6 - /7 category with this gorgeous barn find that all he had to do was dust it off and tune it up.

[​IMG]

Another good friend Tony (Acap on here) brought his cherry R 80 G/S. Unfortunately there was no real class for his bike, and though many oohed and aahhed he came away empty handed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few other random pics from the bike show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Blue Beemer deserves special mention. I have met the owner Jerry, the first time at least 10 years ago. He lives in California and he rides this bike everywhere! It has several hundred thousand miles on it and looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Pretty neat guy.

[​IMG]

Then there is this custom R100 Café Racer. It won best custom and I think the Peoples Choice Award as well. Very cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other cool bikes from around the rally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is a R100 Mystic, only 300 were imported in 94 and 95 as a special edition bike as the Airheads were being phased out. That model is the first BMW I bought back in 1999 with only 4,000 miles on her. It started my lifelong love for BMW and its horizontal twin. My current Beemer Roadster is a spiritual successor to that beautiful redhead! This one is owned by Bob from Bob's BMW.

[​IMG]

This brand new R1200RS could very well be my next bike!

[​IMG]

Well that is about all. I could bore you with even more pics, but I think you get the picture (pun intended). It was a great motorcycle filled weekend.

Signing off,

Rick G
  8. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the pictures Rick, I still dream of havin an airhead one day!
    Rick G likes this.
  9. Rick G

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of them out there. You can still get good examples at fair prices and parts are readily available for most models.

Go buy one!

Rick G
  10. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Nice write up and great pics, thanks!
    Rick G likes this.
  11. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Nice write up, Rick!
    This looks nice.
    [​IMG]
    Rick G likes this.
  12. Rick G

Oddometer:
    That was a fun section of road. Across the river is PA. There were quite a few tourists at the lookouts. I had to wait a bit to get this clear shot with no cars in the background.

Rick G
  13. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey rick, which road is that in the above pic?
  14. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Route 97 in NY along the PA border.

Rick G
  15. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Rick. Sorry I missed the Motorcyclepedia but at least we got to hook up and ride a few miles together. Beware of the turtles!
    gsweave and Rick G like this.
  16. brgsprint

brgsprint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR and pics. thanks.

My wife and I will be riding down that way from central NY this weekend. We'll ride Rt 97 on Monday for the first time in about 20 years.

We will pass on Motorcyclepedia this trip but it's on my list. A lot of those Indians look familiar. Are many of them from the Indian museum in Springfield, Mass? We rode out there almost 20 years ago and that snow machine/toboggan has to be the same one we saw there.
    Rick G likes this.
  17. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

To answer a question, I did not pay much attention to what the museum foundation owns and what is on loan. I just gazed at the beautiful machines.

Rick G