Motorcycles in Brazil...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by k7, Feb 9, 2004.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    I love all things Brazil esp. my wife, the Mad Brazilian. I've traveled quite a bit there and have even met a few BMW riders at one time or another.

In 10-12-14 years, we'll retire there. I suspect we'll have to live in Sao Paulo for a few years since my wife will want to work a few more years and there are better opportunities in SP that other Brazilian locations.

Last year, I took my father and nephew on a typical Brazilian river boat trip from Belem to Manaus. If you've read any of the trip reports on Horizons, you'll find that this is a pretty typical route for those who opt for Brazil.

We were on the Santerem which supposedly didn't take motorcycles. It's also supposed to be one of the better boats. It's about 5 days from city to city and a fabulous trip.

BUT, that boat does take motorcycles. How'd you like to load a bigass GS or KTM like this? This was the easy part but getting it off with a meter difference between the dock and this deck was painful to watch....
  2. k7

Oddometer:
    These aren't common in places like Sao Paulo but in the city of Santerem, they're more so.... they even have a helmet for you to wear:
  3. k7

Oddometer:
  4. k7

Oddometer:
    ...had three levels of cabins...

Hammock without a/c, hammock with air and cabins. We, the soft gringos, decided to get cabins. We met a young lady from Sweden who had her stuff stolen while in the hammock class.
  5. k7

Oddometer:
    ... was spending time with the old man and introducing my nephew to the joys of world travel. He's hooked.

My father is my hero. My mother has Alzheimers and my father takes care of her full time. Says he'll keep it up until it either kills him or bankrupts him.

I dragged him to Belize years ago in what turned out to be a difficult trip. At the end, he said he'd never travel with me again but after 7 years, I guess he decided to try it again. :-)

This picture says it all. This was the first evening on the trip. These two guys didn't speak a word of English and my father spoke no Portuguese. But you can see the joy on his face as these two guys slammed down their dominoes. They were as entertained as he was!
  6. motion

motion Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We want more, Gerry!! Great pics and words. I've been to Belo Horizonte and Rio many times. Brasil is a special place.
  7. XTman

XTman Do NOT follow me...

Oddometer:
    Hi, K7LRO!
    Nice pictures and story.
    On the Kasinski motorcycles, you can read about it here ( http://chicagobikerbars.com/posts/000001ee.htm ).

The guy built the motorcycle factory at the age od 82, after selling Brazil´s biggest car parts factory.

Thanks again and 73!

XTman
    py1vhf
  8. GSbrasil

GSbrasil Aventureiro Brazuca

Oddometer:
    Hey There XTman,

Mais um ADVrider brasileiro ?
  9. XTman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, one more brazilian ADVrider!
    This is my second posting.

Tranqüilo? Foi meu primeiro post.

Um abraço.

Bye!
  10. GSbrasil

Oddometer:
    Well, bem vindo ao Asilo !

O site é cheio de informações legais e é frequentado por um pessoal muito engraçado.

Antes de mudar pra cá, eu tinha uma XT600E tbém.
    A sacanagem é que a Yamaha não oferece a XT aqui nos EUA, senão compraria uma por aqui tbém.

Take care.
  11. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    a small drinking village with a fishing problem
    Bem vindo, XTman.....
  12. XTman

Oddometer:
  13. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brazil :confused Polish Kawasaki :confused
  14. GSbrasil

Oddometer:
    Yep, dá uma olhada nas fotos nesse link .
    (Fotos da XT660 R e a supermoto XT660 X)
    :super :super
  15. k7

Oddometer:
    ... to see the Brazilians here. My wife, Sandra, is from SP and lasted worked at HSBC there.

OK.. a couple of more pictures.

One of the highlights on the trip was playing with the kids. My Portuguese is rather limited but a smile goes a long ways. Kids generally gravitate to me since I'm naturally a 10-year old with 46-years of experience.

They loved the digital camera. I'd take pictures and then show the pics to the kids.

The lady in the next photo had three children. All day, they'd stay in the hammock area and never once, come up on the upper decks.

But at night, she'd dress them to the 9's in outfits that she made and bring them up for about an hour. It was pretty cool and the girls were so nice!
  16. k7

Oddometer:
    Another highlight was watching a futbol game on the back of the boat. Yep, there was a large satellite dish attached and if you look on the right side, you can see the guy's hand ready to turn the dish as the boat turns.

And, to top it off, this was the US playing Brazil. How cool is that? Naturally, Brazil kicked our ass but that's to be expected.

Brazilians respect age and they demanded that my father sit down front & center.
  17. k7

Oddometer:
    The scenery was wonderful. Between the Para and Amazon Rivers, the waterway is quite narrow at maybe 100 meters. And, boats going against the current stay pretty damn close to the banks.

Kids are allowed to use boats like kids in the US use bicycles. It wasn't unusual to see kids as young as 4 or 5 out in a boat.
  18. k7

Oddometer:
    and the one in the back of this canoe was maybe 5....sorry for the poor picture... really had to zoom in to try and capture his age.
  19. XTman

Oddometer:
    Hi, Gerry!

Really nice pictures. It´s always a pleasure to hear from foreigners that visited Brazil and paid atention to its people. Many tourists ( I don´t consider you to be a tourist, as you´re married to a brazilian girl ) just look for trees, rivers, monkeys, beaches and seem to forget the most important of it: its people.

BTW, is K7LRO a ham callsign? I´m PY1VHF, been a ham since 1992.

PS:
    Sorry for my poor english. No wonder, I learned it while living in Holland (!).
  20. k7

Oddometer:
    Most Americans don't know a lot about Brazil. It's a spectacular country and the people couldn't be nicer. Sure, Rio and SP can be quite dangerous but so can NYC and LA.

<rant on>
    It's quite distressing to see Americans acting look fools. Recently, an American Airlines pilot and a tourist from NJ were arrested for giving the Federal police the Advrider single finger salute while being photographed for entry into Brazil.

Good on Brazil for not putting up with that crap.

</rant off>

Cruising the Amazon can be accomplished several ways. There are full-size cruise ships that go up to Manaus. The problem is that you won't see shit doing it this way and you'll spend a lot of $$$ doing it. Those ships stay in the middle of the Amazon and you're literally miles from the shore. The small boats are literally meters from the same shores.

The boat we were on was quite comfortable and cheap. My nephew and I paid about $150 each for about 5 days, food included. Now, the food you get is typically one meat and all the rice you can eat but it was pretty good and typical for Brazil. Breakfast was bread, butter and coffee that was so s-w-e-e-t.

My father was in a cabin by himself and we got him a 2-room cabin so obviously, he paid more.

We stopped in several small cities along the way and had several chances to get off for anywhere from an hour to 6 hours. They always blow the horn when it's time to leave and at least twice, passengers had to jump for it and one time, the captain went back to get someone who was left behind!

I know that several motorcycle tour companies are starting to offer tours in Brazil mostly around SP and Rio. If you get the opportunity, it's a great way to travel if you're a bit nervous about it. I've traveled around the areas between SP & Rio even along the coast and you'll never find a better place to vacation.

Several years ago, we were there during Thanksgiving. My co-worker and I got my wife-to-be to take us to the north beaches and we had the damn best three days I've ever spent at a beach. Comfortable, clean, cheap beer, and since that weekend is almost like our Memorial Day weekend here signaling the start of the summer season, the women were out. Unbelievable.

Another area not to be missed is the Pantanal which is a huge swampy area. If you've ever read John Grisham, he's based at least one story on the area. There are a lot of ranches that run ecological tours in the Pantanal. You can get a room and spend a couple of days horseback riding, using their canoes, riding around in the back of trucks looking for caymans, etc, etc.

Like I said before, I'm lucky. I fully plan to retire to somewhere like Florianoplis one of these days after a brief stay in SP. And then I'll tour Brazil like I've toured the US!

Life is good. :-)