Motorcycles in Brazil...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by k7, Feb 9, 2004.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you! K7LRO is a ham radio call and I'm a general license holder. I haven't had much time to operate but I do plan to get active again soon. I would think that motorcycling and QRP would be a perfect combination.

BTW, I received the first one thousand miles/watt award from one of the QRP organization for the PSK mode several years ago. I was running 5 watts and made a verified contact into Salvador w/ PSK. I was pretty happy with that.

Your English is much better than my Portuguese. :-)

The Netherlands? I lived in Haarlem in the late 80's for about 6 months. Loved it there too.

Contact me off-list if you need something from the US. My wife might be able to carry some small stuff down for you! She'l be in SP on April 1 and I know the box she's carrying may have a little room left in it.... but just a little! No jesse panniers or anything like that. :-)

Abraco!
  2. dirt rider X

dirt rider X tropical traveller

Oddometer:
    the blue Tornado XR
    some kind of Honda?
  3. XTman

XTman Do NOT follow me...

Oddometer:
    Hi, dirt rider!

Yes, it´s a Honda 250cc, 1 cylinder. Not sure wheter it´s the same model sold in the US of A or not. Honda (as well as Yamaha) has a motorcycle factory in Brazil.

CU
  4. acupuncture4u

acupuncture4u Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer:
  5. XTman

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much!

Valeu...
  6. k7

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I recognized the airport (GRU). Pretty cool.

Since bikes carry such a heavy tax in Brazil, you can bet your last real that the rider on the LT is well-heeled. :-)

Several visits ago, I stopped by Officer BMW in SP. It was an enjoyable visit but the bikes were so expensive. It's tough.

On anther visit, we took the ferry over to Ihla Bella and had lunch with a local BMW rider. Ihla Bella is simply stunning but only if you like small islands with lots of sun and beautiful beaches.
  7. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Great pics and tale. I was in Brasil and Argentina last December -- great time and great people. Stayed in Sao Paulo and spent a day in Rio.

Noted all kinds of motorcycle couriers in SP -- have heard it is a very dangerous profession.

Futbol on the TV reminded me of the rivalry between the two countries. Hope to tour the area someday on two wheels.
  8. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:
    I have been to Ihla Bella. My wife has friends who have a house there. Was one of the most amazing places I've been in Brazil. This house was on top of the island and had access by road or a private dock. At the dock there was a large patio with a old wood fired pizza style oven, Great garlic strong pizza, you could walk the stone stairs or take the chain belt driven lift. Like something from a James Bond movie. Once at the house the view is something. Another big BBQ area and huge house. Was amazing and as mentioned the people were extremely kind in every way. Had amazing times.

Thought I would post some of the shots of the beach something to inspire you single old farts...

A couple quick shots of Rio for the XT man.
    [​IMG]
    a view from my friends Apartment
    [​IMG]
    now looking down from the sugar loaf at the famous beach in Rio...
    [​IMG]
    Ok now south onto Sao Paulo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Papaya Tree
    [​IMG]
    Old School Vespa, No license, Registration, Hey it's a beach town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beach patrol, where were they when I needed them???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some typical food.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New Years Eve is a blast on the beach. Highly recommended. Everyone dresses in white or another solid color and goes to the beach. You dig a hole in the sand for your white candle for the new year, and drink champagne. When it's finally the new year you go to the waves and have 7 waves to jump with each jump being a wish for the new year. Very cool. I really enjoy that part to see everyone on the beach like that and happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One secluded beach the I loved was Praia do Eden. This beach had a small sign that said you could be topless. Never did see a topless woman ANYWHERE in Brazil.
    [​IMG]
    This beach is amazing, I loved getting a fresh juice by the water. Heaven....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This sport looked really fun and really dangerous.
    [​IMG]
    I love the colors in Brazil so bright
    [​IMG]
    So I never have seen any topless but that doesn't mean the bikini's aren't small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope you enjoy. I have had wonderful trips to Brazil 8 so far and I can't wait to get back to that warm water of the Atlantic Brazilian Coast.......:smiler :1drink :): :evil :freaky :getdown :tongue :doh :thumb :arch :getiton :flip :smoke :heh: :walk :yikes :jump :super :beer :wave
  9. GSbrasil

GSbrasil Aventureiro Brazuca

Oddometer:
    Nice pics !

Praia do Eden is really close to where we have our beach house in Guarujá. (Praia de Pernambuco)
    Did you have a chance to go to the bar close to Eden, that is right by the rocks, called "Toca do Tubarão" ? :clap :clap :clap
  10. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I've been to Toca do Tubarao, but it is amazing that you have been there. I also see that your from Campinas, my wife's home town and they also have a place at Guaruja, in front of Enseada Beach. I've been to Pernambuco several times. The first time I went in 97 Dec. The sand was so different, huge pieces of crushed shells made up the sand. The following visits I never saw the sand like that in such large pieces. Amazing though, we may even know some of the same people...
    I always get confused how it goes though, is it Pernambuco, Enseada, Pitangeras from North to South or is it Pitangeras, Enseada, Pernambuco?
    :freaky
    Maybe it was you I saw this past New Years time riding a Blue and white tank GS???
  11. XTman

Oddometer:
    Really nice pictures...

Let me introduce to you the Serra do Rio do Rastro Route, in southern Brazil (Santa Catarina State):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lighting is provided by some huge windmills:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bye for now.

XTman
  12. CroMag

CroMag Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer:
    Great pics doods! Haven't been to Brazil yet, but Smurf and Gringo promised to take me.

Looks like a place I could spend a LOT of time in.
  13. k7

Oddometer:
    You guys are killing me. Two days ago, I made reservations for my wife to come down on April 1. Yesterday, she gets a call to interview for a new job. Then, today, she interviewed for that job.

On one hand, she could use a new job.

On the other hand, that might kill the trip to Brazil depending on how fast the company moves. I know this company... it may not be that fast. We'll see.

I hadn't planned on coming down this trip but if she doesn't get the new job, I think I will.

XTMAN: if I do come down, I like to come over on Saturday, April 3, stay in Campos on Saturday and Sunday night and then return to SP on Monday. Do you have any idea if you'll be around? I'm not sure if I'll be myself, if Sandy will come or if we'll come with one of Sandy's nephews. What's the best options to get to Campos? Will you be around?

Another reason to visit SP.... visit the Loja Dakar store...if they're still open: http://www.lojadakar.com.br/loja/sessoes.asp?item=32&subcategoria=Paris Dakar

I wonder if there are any KTM shops in SP?! :-)

This will be great. And it's all you guys' fault. All them damn pictures.....
  14. XTman

Oddometer:
    Great!
    Just come! Don´t worry. Get to Rio de Janeiro, then take a bus (at the Novo Rio Rodoviaria, a 3.5 hours trip) or a plane (at the Santos Dumont Airport, a 50 minutes flight) to Campos.
    You've already got my phone #s, right? I will be e-mailing you my address.
    CU soon.

XTman

PS: The DAKAR Store is great, indeed. Not many options, though, but the clothes are first class and the prices are ridiculously low.
  15. k7

Oddometer:
    This is going to be great. Sandy's comment "You'll fly...you're NOT taking a bus." She looks out for me eh?

The website for the Dakar shows some pretty neat stuff. Not sure what my budget will stand with all the tickets though. :-)

I got your contact info and you can be sure that I'll put it to use. If not sooner, definitely later.

Um dia voce tem que vir para Phoenix nos visitar. (from Sandy of course!)
  16. XTman

Oddometer:
    In the far, far future, in a galaxy far, far away... :) Eventually I´ll visit you. I'm planning to visit Alaska, riding my ol'trusty XT600. In 3 or 4 years, that is.

=======
    Crypto-analysis-proof language: :)
    =======
    Sandy, não se preocupe com os ônibus. Há frescões muito legais da empresa 1001. Mas parece que ele quer vir de avião mesmo. Tem uns 2 vôos diários pra cá. Se não fosse tão longe (300KM) eu iria buscá-lo de carro. Um abraço.

XTman
  17. k7

Oddometer:
    Good deal... the road from Brazil to Alaska passes through Phoenix. :-)

What a deal. I start a thread about Brazil and next thing you know, I'm making plans to come down and visit a new friend. I think that's pretty damn cool.
  18. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did an Adventure Footrace (~150 miles) through the Amazon jungle. We spent about 2 weeks *deep* in the jungle during the race and about 2 weeks in small villages, etc.

We have been all around the world and Brazil is the coolest place; great people, *really* good lookin' girls, good food, good value (expect the airfare). We highly recommend it.

Seeing it on a bike would make it better.

Voltar
  19. XTman

Oddometer:
    Hi, Voltar.
    As you probably know, "Voltar" in Portuguese means "to come back". Why don't you just do that? If you some day visit Brazil again, send me an e-mail. It's easy to keep up-to-date with my info: I'm an amateur radio and my callsign is PY1VHF. There's a site on Internet where you can check hams information (address, e-mail...) URL: www.qrz.com . I'm always ready to help fellow riders visiting my region (Rio de Janeiro State).

Bye for now.

XTman
  20. k7

Oddometer:
    OK...just to show you the spirit of advrider, the wife and I are headed to Sao Paulo on April 1st. When we arrive on the 2nd, I'll take an afternoon flight to Campos to see XTMAN who invited me over for the weekend.

Rumor has it that we're headed towards the beach to look at...scenery of course and maybe have a beer or two.

Pictures to follow. :thumb

OH.... I have a advrider patch for the XTMAN. I know that Brazilians love stickers so if anyone has any spare motorcycle stickers to send to the XTMAN, send me a pm and I'll give you my address. I'm sure he'd love a advrider sticker...heck...so would I... but I'll pass it to him AND replace it from the next batch that comes along so you're not out anything.