1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Motorola Moto G vs. Garmin X, anyone have experience with both?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by LightChop, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Left: galaxy s2, (four years old!) works fine, but sometimes odd in full sunlight
    Right: moto g (two years old!) works fine, full sunlight has no effect at all, superbright, IPS display
    [​IMG]

The moto g is 'splash proof' (people have dunked it without issue) and works with gloves. amazon around $40-150 depending on condition and type
  2. el tortuga

el tortuga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My S3 is crap in sunlight, barely visible. lol
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yuppers. i've heard the s3 sucks compared to the s2, and the s2 is barely passable. the IPS displays really kill the others when compared in person. no eye strain, no issues. just big/bright/awesome dispalys.
  4. BeFree

BeFree Adventurer

Oddometer:

Excellent video. Can I use my MacBook as an interface to the Moto G and the map applications you use?
  5. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    You can use rever to create your routes (it uses google maps with a custom tool for offroute or user created sections) then it'll automatically transfer those to your phone, that has a subscription fee though.

Alternately you can create a route with google maps and save it to .gpx by copy/paste of the link to gpsvisualizer. This can be transferred to your phone via usb cable but I prefer using the free dropbox app.

GPS visualizer and google maps is a great tool that's free to create a .gpx to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another excellent planning site is Hillmaps, you can run a satellite and topo/road map side by side. It doesn't do routes like google maps but you can create your own with it.

[​IMG]
  6. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by 'interface'?
    What is it you want to do?
    Plan routes?
    Share routes?
    follow along or turn by turn?
  7. BeFree

BeFree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping I could use my MacBook to transfer data to the Moto G. It doesn't really matter since I have a PC as well.

Assuming using the Moto G, which application is easiest to use setting waypoints from an old fashion paper map?
  8. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Connecting a usb cable to the macbook and phone doesn't display it as a hard drive that you can drag/drop the file to the phone?

Also what type of mapping do you need? Navigation to a waypoint like a traditional gps or autorouting like a garmin nuvi?
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    If you're used to plugging things in, and want to continue to plug them in, you'll likely need Android File Transfer https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ so that you can drag n drop between the mac and android device.

If you want to step into the wireless age, there is SuperBeam (install on mac and android its FAST!!!) or regular old Bluetooth (already built in on both devices) for transfering files wirelessly. Transferring waypoints/tracks over bluetooth is extremely easy, and will work with all modern devices that have bluetooth, like tablets/laptops/smartphones, with no other networking needed. Unfortunately the garmin devices still try to lock users into the world of garmin by not allowing transfers from any other device besides their own, over bluetooth. Just something to remember.

Setting waypoints isn't difficult. All of the offline mapping applications on android have a function for importing tracks/waypoints via a gpx file, OR you can just input the coordinates yourself for each one. If you want to take a picture of your paper map and OVERLAY it on top of whatever map is being displayed on the phone, some of the apps allow for doing that, and it will move with you just like any other geo-referenced map would. Very handy for parks or trail systems you have not used before, so you can use their map on your phone.
  10. BeFree

BeFree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for very valuable information. You guys are good. I have been reading lots regarding GPS devises, or I should say scanning. I went all Apple about 5 years ago and I am very happy with the decision, I have decided to NOT buy a Garmin or similar devices, but a Motorola G, second generation.

This is what I have:

MacBook
    IPad
    iPhone to be used as a phone and not a primary navigation device
    Motorola G second generation. To be purchased and used as a nav device only
    A PC that I really don't want to use

Let me see if I get this
    1) The Mac and IPad will be used as trip planner devices or route builder
    2) Moto G as a navigator
    3). Files such as GPX can be transferred between 1 and 2 using Bluetooth, Superbeam or USB
    So far I think I am pretty good

For planning software on 1) I can use
    A) GPS visualizer
    B) hillmaps
    C) Here maps
    D) Rever
    E) Google maps
    There are probably many more. The route planner software is where I struggle to find something easy to use. I am not looking for a package for waypoint navigation, I can use here map and download thee entire USA which Google map doesn't do easily (ref Lee R). It's route navigation software I seem to have problems finding. I don't like Google because it just seems to be lots of work to get the route I want. Also if I am not careful I get these routes that go in circles b cause I dragged or clicked the wrong place

Rever looks promising and will have to play with that
    Tried Visualizer sandbox to draw a route, but it draws a straight line from point to point. Then I have to drag the line to follow the road. This is a pain. What am I not doing right on the route planning side?

I think I get the Moto G side. Various software that allows import of the routes to software like
    A) backcountry
    B) Locus
    C) Here maps
    D) osmAnd
    E). Google maps
    F) Rever

I have only tried to summarize some of the info I have read. Am I there yet? Any input or clarification ions or suggestions. It's the planning software I seem to need more info on
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

yes, all of that sounds correct. the only parts i'm not sure about are transfering things to/from the ipad and iphone (ios devices). i don't have first hand experience with them, and can only assume that bluetooth works easily, or superbeam, for transfering things wirelessly.

here's what i've seen that works flawlessly:
    superbeam Mac >> android or android >> mac
    bluetooth mac >> android or android >> mac
    superbeam android >> android (FREAKING FAST!)
    bluetooth android >> android (slow but reliable)
    bluetooth ios >> android >> ios (some issues with some ios versions, i don't have experience to prove which versions work better than others or why, sorry)

if you generate a track on the ipad, and want to transfer to the android via bluetooth, that's the only area i can think of that MIGHT be a little clunky/hard. again, i have very little experience with these devices, so please correct me if/when you find a solution. :)
  12. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    I would Just add furkot for route planning
  13. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Did a recent trip on my bike, a KTM 400EXC, with the Moto G as my navigator/phone/camera from western NC to Orlando and then back.

Still working perfectly.
  14. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a MotoG, 1st gen, for $30 used on amazon. With a discount Rambox, it should work out well. But, I cant unlock a verizon version, and get rid of a lot of crap (after rooting). So, looking to get another, a 16gb, on ebay.

Whats going to be one of my best charging solutions for this on the bike? (Because I seem to only have good luck finding crap chargers for travel, other than my emergency power bank)