Motorola MU350R

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ck622, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed report
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the directions for this radio does it say anything about GMRS repeaters? I am wondering if this unit is capable of using them. I am not seeing any mention of this capability on Motorola's website.
  3. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of these radios based on the reviews in this thread so far. I ride with a group with a variety of short range and incompatible Cardo and Sena intercomms, so these will let us converge on a long range FRS/GMRS standard. I wanted a remote PTT, but not a wireless one that cost more than the radio itself, so I picked up a cheap Motorola compatible headset on ebay for under $10.

I was worried that plugging in the wired headset would disable the bluetooth connection, and I couldn't find any information online to say yes or no. So in case others are wondering too, I can report that it works exactly how you want it to. Enabling the bluetooth link overrides and disables the mic and earphone in the wired headset, but the PTT button still works. No mods, no cracking open the radio, just a cheap ebay headset and you've got yourself a wired PTT button.
  4. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I received a pair of the radios last Friday. They seem to be a step up from the grms radios that I have previously purchased. The pairing procedure with the sena bluetooth headsets is critical to smooth transition between media.

My setup is:
    Sena smh10 (latest firmware)
    iPhone 5s (phone and music)
    Mu350r

Pairing procedure:
    Clear all pairings on all devices
    Pair the sena and iPhone as a phone (hfp and a2dp)
    Pair sena and mu350r using multi point pairing on hfp (this is key)
    Pair other sena headsets
  5. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    I have them and the g9 did not pair like said earlier.
    they work great with the Cardo q2
    as far as the PPT why it has VOX and IVOX the battery will go faster but its ready and you can just talk. B
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Confirmed to work with Cardo Q3, paired as Phone #2 (vol - for pairing), phone #1 (S4) streams music/directions, incoming/outgoing radio transmission interrupts music, then resumes. I've only had it kill music completely once, otherwise works OK.

I got the same case as chrish4ku (thanks for the tip), found home for it on the left mirror on my GS, the antenna is sort of held in place by the flap on the Wunderlich bag so it's pretty stable and in reach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Btw I assume that you have all applied for the operator license to use the 1.5W channels... right? Riiiiight? Because I may not have done that...
  8. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just used these again in Death Valley, Mono Lake, Mammoth Lakes. These are the top of the line radios here folks....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    How did you manage to attach it vertically to a backpack strap?
  10. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    lol wut

no

VS is their own brand, completely unrelated to Motorola.
    Vertex Standard provides air-band and commercial equipment.
    Yaesu is VS's amateur line.
    Standard Horizon is their marine line.

Nope. I have yet to encounter a consumer-level FRS/GMRS handheld that has repeater capability.

Another neat radio to check out is BCA's BC Link radio.
    Volume/PTT/Preset controls on the speaker-mic.
    Rechargeable through Mini-B USB.
    Simple and straight-forward to use.

The A..F dial is for "presets" - set that to A, set the radio to 1-1, turn to B, set to 2-2, C, 3-3, whatever channels/PL's you want for the letters... then you can switch between those presets by changing the dial on the mic.

Downside to these radios - They lack a PTT/Spkr/Mic on the unit itself - radio MUST be operated through the speaker/mic.
    IMO they're a little pricey for what they are, but overall they're built well and seem to work pretty well too.
    [​IMG]
  11. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just zip tied it to the strap with two ties.
  12. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Is there something a ziptie cannot do?

Thanks ;]
  13. Jbonzey

Jbonzey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks so much for this thread. Our group just purchased this setup for snowmobiling. We bought the scala rider QZ ($109 at motorcycle-superstore.com) and the mu354r. Work perfect together. I wired up a ptt button to the handle bar and put the Motorola in a storage bag on my hood. Paired my iPhone to the QZ as well for calls and streaming music. When someone keys the Motorola the music turns off and the device switches to the Motorola as expected and back when complete.

I really like the QZ. Volume is loud and exactly what we wanted for long range. The intercom functionality on the higher end units was not what we wanted.

So you can add the QZ to the list of compatible helmet headset devices. Can't beat the price either.

Thanks again
  14. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I just came back from a 1500 mile trip (bike/Q3 + car) and the radios worked great for communications between the vehicle and the rider even though the car's Faraday cage reduces the range a LOT. The only thing that you have to remember is that there's about a 2 sec delay before you push the PTT button and before the BT unit switches over the the radio channel - so just count two Mississippis before you actually start talking.

Btw is there any magic needed to pair the radio with a Sena 10? I couldn't get it to work with any of the units I tried, I followed the steps described here and it was always a no-go.
    girtz likes this.
  15. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you clear all the previous pairings first?
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no. How do you do that?

thanks..
  17. giganova

giganova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My group of riders has been using the Motorola MT352R for two years now, and they've worked out great. We bought the Motocomm helmet kit which includes a PTT handlebar button, installed the speakers/mic in our helmets, and put the radios in pouches on our tank bags. Works like a charm and the range is around 1-2 miles.

There are better options in terms of range (5W GMRS radios that use repeaters, giving a 25+ miles range), but each rider needed a license to legally operate them, so that is not practical for us right now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BGOQT6...UTF8&colid=ON5YQVB14F92&coliid=I2E4XUCZ5DH5R5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

Those units aren't BT capable like the MU350R.
  19. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there are many different options for PTT use. Motorola 1884 is a wired PTT and headset. PTT button is separate from the headset so can be used with the radio and BT communicator in the helmet. About $50. I would think just mount radio on bike and wired PTT button on handlebar next to grip.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Accessories/Two-Way+Radio+Accessories/Two-Way+Radios+-+Consumer+Accessories/1884_PTT_Button_Headset

Better than the BT PTT button. No need to recharge the wired one.
  20. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am interested to know how that setup works for you. :ear I am trying to figure out what to buy.

Thanks!