Motorola MU350R

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ck622, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, uhm, no immediate plans to buy these and try but I like the idea. I have a SENA smh5 set for the GF and I and really like it. Already have a set of GMRS from midland and have the kit for inside the helmet with PTT button for the handlebars(or finger mounted) but have only tested for function. The plan was for my son in law and I to stay in contact while riding but kept forgetting the radios :doh. That headset has wires going everywhere, has me worried about entanglement. The sena headset sounds better than the midland one anyway.

Like the other guy said here, radio in tank bag and button on bars may be the ticket.

How often does anyone talk via radio while riding anyway? Do you normally stop first? Short commands while riding like "taking a pee break, I'll catch up in a minute" or "take a left up ahead" or "I've fallen and can't reach my beer".

Maybe not too critical being able to operate while negotiating all kinds of terrain.

Best thing is I know this is out there, and it was unknown to me before.
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normally we have a system of stop at intersections and wait for the rider following, then go in the correct direction the last rider took off in. This system works pretty well for both dual sport rides and single track riding. Sometimes things go wrong and someone ends up missing. That is one time when it would be nice to have a better way to communicate over longer distances.

I am mostly interested in hearing about how well Bluetooth devices work with this radio. I like the idea of having the radio on the bike. Then it could be hooked up to the bike for power and the PTT could be wired to the radio.
  3. WestTXDR

WestTXDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find it either. We just put up a repeater on the local water tower and it sure would be nice if these were able to do that. I've used the Baofeng on my DR with my Sena SR-10. I had a problem with it not releasing the connection and returning to music. It doesn't keep the radio keyed up. I think a radio-headset direct connection would be simpler.
  4. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI

I see that SENA has the SR10 which is a BT device that will accept many different input sources including FRS/GMRS radios without BT built in. So if you already have a set of radios this device allows use of them with a BT communicator. You would need to buy a cable($20) to connect radio to SR10. The unit has a built in PTT and a wired PTT included and mounts for the handlebars or belt clip.

Link: http://www.sena.com/product/adapters/sr10/#tab-description

It's another option if you don't want another set of radios.

edit: Unfortunately you would need to buy a unit for each radio so it would probably run into more money than just getting the MU350R's.
  5. giganova

giganova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the Motorola "bubble wrap" radios can use repeaters. Here's more info:

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...epeater_channels_on_a_motorola_talkabout.aspx

EDIT:
    I just checked: the MU350R cannot use repeaters, only the MS350R, MS355R and MR355R can.
  6. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI on that site, you DO need a license to use repeaters.
    Technically need one for 5W simplex operation on GMRS freqs too.

$80-ish, no exam, pay the fee get a callsign.
  7. giganova

giganova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem is that every rider in the group would need a license! :eek1
  8. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe, don't quote me on this, that the license/callsign applies to the "family", not just a specific user like an amateur license/callsign. Brother from another mother may qualify...

Ah, yes...
  9. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update:

Over a year of use and still strong: When Dirtbiking is cold, skiing is the choice. Work equally good on a mountain!

[​IMG]

The wife got lost on a black...oops. But she could call me to come find her......i TOLD her to take a left not right.

[​IMG]

I really like having these radios strapped to my pack - - in all situations it really works good. Batteries are still super strong after a year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Picked up one the other day (split the set with another inmate) and got it all paired up and working with my Sena 10. Bought a cheap PTT headset to use for the PTT button.
  11. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if the ptt is overkill, if the radio is mounted on a shoulder strap, if stopped it's just a quick reach to the talk button but if the radio is on the bike or you are doing lots of talking while riding i guess it makes sense. Unsure how to power radio from bike to avoid using up batteries. Cannibalize a spent rechargeable battery pack and wire in some leads?

Lot of "ifs" in that paragraph.
  12. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    If the batteries are as good as most are saying, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to wire to the bike. Just set up a way to charge them from the bike when you are stopped?

Do they charge off a normal Mini USB port? That's pretty simple to setup.
  13. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    use the same USB charger on your bike that your phone uses?

it appears to be able to operate while charging.

also on the external PTT button, curious if that uses the normal TX mode or the high powered TX mode?
  14. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    They do, standard Mini USB, I kept mine powered from the bike during longer trips and it worked just fine (except the cable stretches out the holder but that's not a big deal)
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I don't mount anything to my body that can cause injury. The radio will be in the tankbag. I imagine the batteries last a lot longer then any BT headset batteries do. I have absolutely no desire or need to wire it into the bikes power. In a pinch, can always use AA's in it.
  16. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just paired it to my Sena 20S as the "second cell phone" and it works great too. When I PTT, the Sena interrupts the music and I can talk through the mic.

The PTT effectively acts as an incoming phone call,

Love it
  17. mcdstrom

mcdstrom n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking to confirm some thoughts. Have Sena SMH10 normally paired with Android phone (as a phone, but I use it as my music source), Zumo 550 for directions, and as intercom with my riding buddy (his set up is similar, though with iPhone and TomTom). So now we join a larger group who are using FRS/GMRS. We want to be able to continue having conversations between just the two of us and to hear/converse with the rest of the group when appropriate. Will all that work? Does the radio conversation have priority and interrupt the intercom conversation (which is what I would hope/expect)?

Thanks
  18. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    So most likely, if you want to pair the MU350R, you would do it as a "multi-point" pairing which means you would have to disconnect one of your devices (probably the GPS). This will leave your Phone as the primary HFP connection and music source and the MU350R as the 2nd HFP connection.

I have not tried this setup personally with the MU350R (although I'm interested in this setup), but yes the HFP connection does have a higher connection and therefore if audio comes over that connection, it should disconnect your intercom.

The only HFP connection to the Sena headsets that doesn't interrupt is if the Sena SR10 is connected using a 2 way radio. In this case Sena has some sort of setup that mixes this audio into your intercom conversation or phone conversation in the background without disconnecting you. However for music, it still interrupts it.

I hope that helps.
  19. mcdstrom

mcdstrom n00b

Oddometer:
    Definitely helps. Thank you. After I got your response and understood the two device limit plus pairing with other SMH10's, I did some more looking. Looks like one option will be the SR10 with the GPS and Radio hardwired to it. Not what I was hoping for. But better to understand now rather than after I purchased the radios.
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

The better option would be to ditch the Garmin, load up Locus Pro or OSMand + on your android phone. I use my Galaxy S5 for music, and GPS. And then connect the Motorola up on the 2nd pairing.