MOTOSCAN APP for BMW Motorcycles

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by filterwrench, Jun 9, 2018.

1. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a OBD link MX and downloaded the Motoscan APP. Seems to work well for resetting service reminders and deleting fault codes. What else can it do? apparently with MOTOSCAN and an inexpensive TPMS relearn tool you can change the TPMS sensors and mate them up with your ECU. Anyone done this or been able to log fuel trims? Would like to hear from inmates that have used this APP and their findings.
  2. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    I have it with the OBDlink MX adapter as well. Works OK, but is not as complete as a GS-911. The MX adapter is first rate and I use it with my cars in addition to the bike.
    I had a GS-911 when I owned a 2007 RT and to be honest, I did not use it to its full capabilities so the Motoscan app is just fine for me.
  3. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Yes that seems to be the consensus on other forums just thought there may be a way to get more out of it like log fuel adaptive values. Just got the APP and have not spent much time with it.
  4. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can anyone pls list down the figures Motoscan can show in real time.
    Was thinking of a project to replace my cluster with tablet or big phone.
    All i need is real time fuel gauge
    Doing this project just for kicks.
    cheers.
  5. Kimbyyri

Kimbyyri n00b

Oddometer:
    Can this stop the idle motors?
  6. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    The APP has 132 inputs and outputs I,m lost with most of it as some is still in German. Hoping someone chimes in with a layman's user manual. The APP is hard to figure out if you have no experience with engine diagnostic tools. Little time I spent with the live data was to monitor my O2 senser voltages and found one sensor took 5 minutes longer than the other one to level out and show similar voltages, not sure if its on its way out or they just need to warm up.
  7. drmajor

drmajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really just need diagnostics, TPM and service reset. Probably would never use all of GS911/
  8. drmajor

drmajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this info--

http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/44489-scantool-mx-motoscan-app.html

believe there was a brief thread here quite a while back related to the ScanTool diagnostic tool. With full recognition that the Hex GS911 is an awesome piece of technology, I was very reluctant to spend $400 for the very limited amount of use that I would get from it . By chance I stumbled on some info for the ScanTool and decided to give it a try. I ordered the MX model for $79 and an adapter cable to go from the OBDII connector to my bike's 10-pin connector. The ScanTool is a Bluetooth device and comes with it's own app. However the app is for automobiles so I downloaded the Motoscan app which is tailored to BMW bikes. The app worked perfectly with the MX allowing me to select my model of bike and then provided a lot of functionality. I mainly wanted to reset my service reminder, which it did flawlessly. The motoscan app also now includes the ability to activate the bike's abs module the way the GS911 does to facilitate a complete brake system bleed. I did not use that feature yet, but saw it available on the app. I'm not purporting that this combination of device and app will do everything a GS911 will, but it has a lot of functionality for at least the basic maintenance of the bike.

Total Cost:
    ScanTool MX $79.95 (Amazon)
    Connector cable for 10 pin connector $20 (Amazon) Newer bikes won't need the adaptor cable as they have OBD connectors now, but my 2015 has 10 pin.
    Pro verision of the Motoscan app $27.95 (Android Play store) Pro version is required for most functionality including resetting the service reminder.

So, for $130 vs $400, I'm a fan of this setup and wanted to pass the information along.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQSNBR2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I48FPH19CGS6S&colid=36SK2I75A43FO
    Embret, Benduro, Innarut and 10 others like this.
  9. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Motoscan setup with the MX OBCD code reader and an Android tablet. Motoscan app works good but the menus are in German instead of English . You must do a firmware software update of the MX code reader in order to have access to all the Motoscan functionalities.

So far I have used it to clear service maintenance codes only .
  10. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    That is good to know I have not had time to play with this unit yet. Jope to find a way around the german so to figure out all ot does.
  11. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The basic options are in English, mostly. Basic functionality ie: Service resets, fault display and clearing, ABS bleeding are all easy to get to and use.
  12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also bought the MX version of the ODBLink, but unless you will also be using it for Ford & GM with advanced functions, the LX model, for $25 less is all you need. My MX already had the latest firmware, so I didn't need to update it. Has anyone actually done and ABS bleed with a MX or LX? I ask this, because on the apps site for MotoScan for BMW Motorcycles (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.wgsoft.motoscan&hl=en_US), it states: (ATTENTION: Actuator control and bleeding are technically only possible with UniCarScan UCSI-2000 on this module.) In addition, in the functionality table for the GS-911: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function-chart#K50 there are a number of service functions that do not appear in the Motoscan app.

For me, the primary reason for going the ODBLink/Motoscan route was to clear a fault code that put the bike into a limp mode if I was out in the middle of nowhere. BTW, the first time I ran the Motoscan app the was a stored code for the keyless gas cap. When I tried to clear it, it came back with that capability is not supported with your (Basic) version. I was able to clear it after I upgraded to Professional. Wouldn't want to be somewhere without cell phone service and find out you couldn't clear a problem code, and couldn't upgrade the software.
    Speedslip and Bikerboy like this.
  13. skew

skew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the MX ODBLink and the abs bleed works fine on my r1200gs lc
    filterwrench likes this.
  14. WillT

WillT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not think that you needed any kind ODBLink, GS911, etc., to bleed brakes on an R1200GS LC. I just put fluid in the reservoir and pump it out the bleed at the calipers.
  15. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    That is typically good enough. If you want to be very thorough you would bleed the ABS pump as well and then flush more new fluid to totally refresh the system. Not a bad idea and not completely required.
  16. b_rubenstein

Oddometer:
    In the BMW shop manual section for flushing & changing the brake fluid there is no mention of bleeding the ABS unit. It doesn't have to be done unless air is in the ABS system. This would be most likely to happen when doing something like changing brake lines.
  17. b_rubenstein

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  18. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried logging AFR ratios with the OBD MX. The Motoscan app may have that function but if it does its in german.
  19. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe if all of us leave feedback on the play store, requiring menus in English, he may do it.
  20. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    He's fairly responsive. If nothing else he can point you to the right screens.
    filterwrench likes this.