Motoz Tractionator GPS tires

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by BillyGoat4130, Dec 29, 2018.

1. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone running these on a big bike here in the sandbox? The tourances are worn out on the DL1k finally. Looking for something with a bit more off-road capability but I *do* like to run it through the twisty asphalt back roads and do drag pegs from time to time. These are looking like my best bet out of everything I've looked at read about (and its been a lot...)

Also considering the Shinko 804/805s but man getting 3k miles or less out of a rear tire is not an appetizing prospect to me.
  2. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    No experience with the Tractionator but I do love the combo of TKC-80 front & Mitas 07+Dakar rear on my 1190R. Works great in the the dirt & rails on pavement.
    BillyGoat4130 likes this.
  3. Foo Bar

Foo Bar Semper Fi

Oddometer:

I have a lightly used set of TKC 80, free to anyone here, that came off a Husky 701. Pretty decent for Florida, except for sugar sand. Those TKC 80’s came off and I put some GoldenTyre 723’s on for better off-road.

Changing tires isn’t that hard, and 3k on a sticky rear isn’t bad. Harder rubber increases your chances of a wipeout if you’re dragging pegs; especially on wet roads.
  4. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a tractinator desert on my XR600. Good tire, had one with like 2500 miles and it was holding well, some blocks started to crack but I’ve heard recent versions have improved in that department. Noisy as hell, but really food grip everywhere except deep sand. Otherwise, it was good all around. The front was so-so, developed some weird wear patterns but also felt good on anything I rode.
    BillyGoat4130 likes this.
  5. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    That was another choice I looked at heavily but I read of a few people getting no better mileage out of those than the Shinko 805 since they redesigned the compound and tread (and at almost double the price of an 805). You're satisfied with the wear levels on yours? That was the combo at the top of my list for a while until I started seeing complaints about mileage on the mitas.
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I don't worry about tire mileage much anymore. All I care about is does it perform to my needs. But to answer your question the 07+ is holding up well.
    Mugwest, Buzztail and 95Monster like this.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Get the 804/5s they are as off road capable as any dl1k can be. Work well on my dl650.
    Mugwest and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Bring em to the Polar Bear. Ask for Dave.
  9. Karlytus

Karlytus n00b

Oddometer:
    RUI00814.jpg

I want a real 50-50 tire and after thousands of reviews i have decided to choose these.. and so far those tires rocks!
    As you can see, those tires aren´t the best for 100% off-road use because of the centrel part, however i ride a lot on road even when i went to the off-road events.. then , for me, these are just what i'm looking for..
    PS: sorry for english (i'm from Portugal) :lol3

"if life's is a journey i want to make it riding my bike"

Attached Files:

Philip Kuntz and bobw like this.
  10. G-RDR

G-RDR gedubya

Oddometer:
    Buying these is a little risky! You may get a good tire, or you may not.

I bought the GPS tires for my 2016 GSA in May, the rear started splitting in under 4 months / 4000 miles.

You can read of others that have had the same problem in other threads on this forum, on Facebook, and on the RM ATV / MC site under the reviews for this tire. Those are a few of the places.

When I went to get a new tire the technician mentioned that he has had other GPS tires come in with large sections out of them. I think it's wise not to ride a tire that looks like this. Be safe and check your tires often!

IMG_2867.jpg IMG_2868.jpg IMG_2870.jpg
  11. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Stinko 805, my fave big bike tire now for 5+ years. Made on same Korean Conti TKC molds but not a clone-- 805 has full width main blocks that act like a paddle tire in deep crawling sand (Eglin), and SOMEHOW self-clean in sticky Georgia pottery clay. I had GA clay lock the front wheel last summer and could not believe the rear was still finding drive even though the front was a ski at that point.

Just as easy to change as TKCs too. With good levers and enough air pressure (quality onboard compressor or sev CO2 cyls) they could be changed in the field.

Best big ADV tar going imho
    Buzztail and ZachM1 like this.
  12. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I very nearly bought a set of Motoz's for the GS, but couldn't get past the price of admission. Not that Mitas' E07+'s are cheap, but after seeing that report & picture I'm glad I made the choice.
  13. G-RDR

G-RDR gedubya

Oddometer:
    I've got an 805 on the shelf in the que for mounting. Also have the 804 for the front. Have you tried the 804?
  14. G-RDR

G-RDR gedubya

Oddometer:
    Maybe that's why they cost so much! So they can offer you half your money back if they fail. :-)

I just went on the Rocky Mountain ATV / MC site and the 170/60/17 size does not show up on the Motoz GPS Rear Tire drop down list anymore. The 150/70/17 is the largest listed. I wonder if that means anything? Maybe too many failures and they don't want to sell them anymore?
  15. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. Fronts are just as fave and last longer than rears, of course. The 804 fronts are closer to being a TKC clone tread-wise but even then the blocks are taller than TKC. Handling/lean angle is insane-good: you'll run out of balls before you start tickling the outter chicken strip nubs :nod

As ever, it all depends on how much tar you're running: if you run slab a lot they melt as any soft tire would. If so there are much better choices. I stick with them bc they deliver day in day out/all weather and can tackle dualsport slop conditions as needed.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  16. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been going through this for the UGS myself. After riding the loop in Lake City last week on the stockers I’d like a little more traction. Though with enough throttle the UGS will spin the rear hard enough off-road for traction. The front does ok if steering mainly with the rear and the pegs.
    You wind up riding it like a giant SuMo.
    I’d kind of like to see something along the lines of a Kenda 270 for the big bikes. They worked great on my dualsport Ascot:nod
    Huzband likes this.
  17. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    I wound up settling on Shinko 705s front and rear in January. They're just as sticky as anything else street oriented on the asphalt and are slightly better than the tourances in dirt. A lot better in gravel or marbles (??? which is weird but true so far).

Only thing I'm not real happy about is how quick I'm throwing the tread on the rear. So far it looks like my rear 705 is only going to get me what most people expect out of the 804 rear. I rode a lot during the hot summer but I don't think i'll get much over 4k with the rear before it's toast. it's well over half way there already. Can't expect too much for a $93 tire though I guess.
  18. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I ran 705’s on my DL1k I got lots of life from the rear, and that was with a ton of 2nd gear wheelies (professional rider on a closed course:deal). I never did wear a front out. I think Dr.Z finally replaced the front on age alone. They were great tires for the money- speaking of money I usually buy two rears at a time just so I had one on hand. The 705’s made that cheap enough to not think twice about tossing a fresh one on whenever it was needed. I seldom air down (or up) anymore and just let the bike tell me how to ride it for the conditions.
    Ginger Beard and BillyGoat4130 like this.
  19. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    I actually aired mine down a bit to about 28 or so on the rear recently. We will see where it finishes out at but if it is similar mileage to the 804s there is no reason to not run them as by most reviews the 804s are just as grippy on the streets and waaay better off road.
    Mugwest, Ginger Beard and Buzztail like this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I love the 705s. In my circle of riding buddies we pick those over tires like the TKC for a few reasons. One being on road traction. The 705 is flat sticky when hot. Another is that they are no worse off pavement so you might as well ne able to rip on the road. Thirdly is wear. Like Buzz said, the front never seems to wear out and I usually get 6-8k miles out of a rear which seems to be better than more expensive and popular offerings.

Regarding wear, size matters as each size has different weight ratings and compound durometer hardness. Be mindful of this when choosing a tire. Also air pressure will make or break tire life. Running off pavement pressure on the street generates a lot of heat and will kill tire life.

Word of caution: Once the mud is deeper than the the tires are tall, they suck. :lol3

20180209_152451.jpg
    sperz1, Mugwest and Buzztail like this.