1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Luma46, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering to replace my 2006 BMW 1200GS with the 2012 MG Stelvio NTX. I have done a lot of reading about the bike and so far I mostly like what I read and I am planning a test ride sometimes next month. There is one thing however that scares me off a bit a stated fuel consumption of 7.5 l/100 km. Now this is quite a bit for this size/type of a bike, I am getting as low as 4.5 l/100 on my 1200GS if I take it easy.
    Is there a Stelvio NTX owner out there who can comment on this?
    Cheers,
  2. Hogslayer

Hogslayer motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Being both interested in the new Triumph Tiger 1200 and the MG Stelvio NTX this was posted in the T1200 forum on 04/04/12

9-page group test in MCN (UK)

MPG figures (imperial)

47.56 GS
    46.78 S10
    45.33 T1200
    45.05 V1000
    44.32 990
    43.51 XTourer
    41.14 MS1200
    39.98 NTX

I was surprised at the NTX mpg myself if this is true ,I never read the whole report but the NTX didn't seem to fair to well not sure why in their test it rated pretty low.... page 123 on the 1200 Tiger Explorer Thread.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    1. Searching for info will be helped by spelling "Moto" correctly. (We won't even GO into colour, centre, aluminium, labour, kerb, etc :rofl.)
    2. Fuel consumption is directly related to how you ride the bike; the GS, being a souless, boring lump will like be ridden accordingly, while the Stelvio is an exhilarating thing of beauty and is inevitably ridden with brio (an Italian word with no connection to brie, which is a form of festering mouldy milk, over-run with bacteria :rofl.)
    3. The NTX has a 32 litre tank - that's over 9 of your emaciated little US gallons; even with the best seat in the explored Universe (which is actually standard on an Aprilia Caponord, but the Stelvio comes close), I believe most asses will call Uncle before you run out of fuel.
    4. Do not mention the lack of a Dealer Network; Guzzis are so reliable, that dealers are irrelevant and not neccesary except to deliver the bikes when new. Parts are best bought on the interweb, and all routine maintenance until the 500,000 mile service can be easily performed by the owner's mother. The 500,000 mile service MAY need an extra pair of hands.
    5. Please do not ask about resale value - there isn't one, because the only time a previously-owned Stevio becomes available is through a deceased estate, whereafter it is immediately bought for an undisclosed sum by large men in tight suits, tighter sunglasses and expensive haircuts. And pointed shoes. :evil

Just buy the thing already! :clap
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    8.45 of our emaciated little U.S. gallons to be picky....but point taken. :lol2

7.5l/100km is less than 32mpg, I have NO doubts the quattrovalvole is capable of 38-42mpg in average riding.
  5. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but most Guzzis return MPGs in the 40-ish range.

Actually, 32 litres is about 8.5 US gallons. So, at 40 mpg, that's 340 miles range.

That's pretty much true, as long as you know which end of a hammer to swing, and which end of a screw driver to screw.

Who sells Guzzis, anyway? Not me... :lol3

+1 :thumb
  6. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind how long it takes for a big Guzzi motor to really break in too.
  7. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    That's what I see; maybe a bit above 40mpg in the summer, a bit below in the winter running as set up below...love the bike, but would appreciate the bigger fuel tank the newer bike has.

[​IMG]
  8. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    The only air cooled bike in the group?
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    air/oil like the oilhead GS
  10. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost for sure they'll have been flogging the things.

The interesting figures for me would be recorded over a few hundred miles of touring along country roads together at 70-85mph.

In other words, all the bikes producing similar power, small throttle openings.

The order might be the same, but then again it might not.

A bike's being a bit thirsty when worked hard doesn't bother me much, as usually I won't be working a bike this big very hard. But I do care about how much it uses just cruising along.
  11. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence

At OUR pathetic, pedestrian, over-zealously over-policed speed limits? You won't barely get it off the idle jet - and certainly won't get the turbo spooled up.....
    Expect under 5km per l100km, better if you pump the tyres and remove the 20' shipping container panniers. And the 270kg Yank off the saddle.
    seriously, I expect those Pommies were flogging the bikes - and they were probably given a low-mileage bike and as has been said, you need a good 15-20,000km on the dial for Guzzi's to limber up.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has to be my 'favourite' post to date. Very well put mate!
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

True that, my first tank on a new Stelvio was in the mid-20 mpg range. It didn't really break in until 2500 miles or so and then started getting mid to upper 40 mpg numbers. Most moto test stories that get printed are extremely short term and under 400 miles, impossible to even get a feel for the bike.
  14. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    :)

I get roughly 42 mpg highway/constant speed roads, but didn't start getting that 'til the motor started to break in at around 10,000 miles.

The new NTX is supposed to be fueled much better, so there's no reason to believe it won't do at least as well if not better.
  15. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You just made me laugh loudly - brilliantly put, sir> I salute you! :rofl

I concur on every point too :freaky

Incidentally, my trip computer (read "guestimator") reckons a fairly reliable 42 mpg for my riding - lots of country roads and a little town riding with some motorway use now and again. People with more memory and interest think they are pessimistic though. Mine is on standard cans and lates map and is set up brilliantly, but would expect the later mapping to give better mpg still.

Just buy the bike though, seriously, once you make the shift you will probably become incurably infected with Guzzi love and the world will take on new depth of meaning.

Biased? Moi?
  16. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    My 4V griso can obtain decent 40+mpg (US) when I take it easy and just cruise along. That never happens, ever. The bike is so fun to flog that I always see myself with horrible MPG numbers.

The 8V engine would be worse, but the NTX is supposed to have the dual O2 sensors and a revised fuel/ignition map that could change how it uses fuel down low.

I am very interested in one someday when the new bike bug sets in.
  17. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm am always totally unconcerned with any bike at any mileage after driving my truck.:lol3
    And, after researching and deciding on the NTX as my next purchase, I've also decided to go with the aftermarket can and tuning package. So, there goes the rest of the MPG's in the crapper. But, I guess if I was looking for fuel savings, I would have gone to the other end of the Piaggio line. You know, the step thru kind?
  18. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the 09 Stelvio. I typically see ~7.2L/100Km. Mileage was in the neighborhood of 9.5 at delivery and at 40,000 Km appears to have steadied out. Took at least 20,000Km for the motor to break in...
    I find it impossible to ride this thing with mileage in mind. It likes to RUN! Seems to be happiest at full song.
    On 800 Km haul on interstate returning home from N.C. riding with a GSA (Drif10) the fuel consumption was actually real close between the two bikes with similar stature riders, bags etc.. I just had to stop way more often since I have the small 18L tank.

Btw.. buy it already! :evil:evil:evil:evil

:evil
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks Forseti, good info. :thumb
  20. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I am overwhelmed with all responses that I got to my fuel consumption question, thanks to everyone. But the story goes on, I was at a dealer in Calgary today and the expected test drive is a no go. Apparently there is so much interest in this bike that they sell everyone they get. I will have to make a down payment to get the bike sometimes in June...
    As much as I hate buying bike that I never test drove, looks like I will not have a choice.
    I am rather an older (66) fellow and I enjoy chugging along at speed limit, which is mostly 100 km/h, but I do not mind doing so for a full day. Hence my next question is, comfort, vibration in 6-th gear at 100 km/h (60 mph)? Can anyone compare to 1200 GS? Thanks again.