1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Luma46, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I know it's a bit of a haul, but you're relatively close to one of the better Guzzi dealers in North America (Moto International in Seattle, WA). You may want to give them a ring and see if they have a demo you can ride, and then make a little holiday train trip there and back. Personally I wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it first, and the folks at MI will treat you right.... :thumb

-SM
  2. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    did someone say road trip?
  3. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    You've never owned a Guzzi before, have you? Their motors can, but do not like to "chug along". Their happy place is 4000rpm and up. Yes, they have good torque at lower revs, but for cruising down the road, they are smoothest at or above 4k. Redline is around 8k rpm. On my Norge (1200cc 4valve), that means that 60mph is fourth or fifth gear territory. I never use sixth gear below 70mph and it is best reserved for 75 and up.

My '03 California Titanium (1064cc) is a five speed and has even more low end torque than the Norge, but top gear is the same. If you want the motor to run where it's happiest, you don't shift to fifth until you're over 70mph.

By the way, I'm an older (65) fellow myself and never have been one to run much over the speed limits. I had been riding for 49 years and owned bikes from most of the major marques before I discovered the joy of riding a Moto Guzzi. I doubt I'll ever be without one again. They are a wonderfully satisfying machine to ride.
  4. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are Jeckyl and Hyde bikes in a way, they have a low down comfort zone where it feels tractable and easy to ride from just over idle to around 3,750rpm (about 65mph) and then it has a naughty side from around 5,000rpm to the red line. Towards the red line it gets more and more naughty. It sounds like you may never need that though :1drink

The only time I had vibration issues was from wearing over padded gloves (Dainese things with some high tech insulation: They are rubbish, don't really keep your hands warm in the cold and give rise to feeling high frequency vibes yuk!) Aside from that I never feel vibes. There's a pleasing pulsing at lower rpm, I have heard people complain about it after a short ride (Jap bike, in line four riders usually) but that isn't intrusive at all, just a part of the living charm. :evil

The riding position is pretty good - apparently the new one has a revised seat so I can't comment. Pillions have a fine old time of it up there though if you are likely to take anyone with you. My girlfriend preferred it to a 1200 GS we took for a spin one day.
  5. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know who you spoke to at Blackfoot but that is a load of bollocks. They have to special order all of their Moto Guzzis because they don't sell. Oh they might sell all they get but it takes them years to do so.... :evil Next time you are in there ask them how many Stelvios they have sold in the last three years.. I believe it is one.

Cheers,

M
  6. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    They're doing something wrong then. The dealer near me sold 21 Norges last year, at least 5-8 Stelvio's (all they got) and already this year has sold all the V7 Racers they can get and are waiting for the new Stelvio to ship as they have customers waiting .

I believe Moto Internstional is moving bike similarly.
  7. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen, RPM Cycles in Dallas hasn't had a new Guzzi available on the floor in almost a year. They keep ordering them but by the time the shipment comes in, they are all sold. I did get to see a new V7 Racer there about a week ago, but only because it's new owner wasn't picking it up until the next day. It seems the demand for the new Norge, Stelvio, Griso, and V7 variants is pretty high.
  8. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the same boat out here on the Island. SG in Victoria is getting 1. Pacific in Van. is getting 4 and pretty well all spoken for. Even Pacific says no test rides. They have one from last year and the salesman is running the idea of using it as a demo past the owner but so far, no go. And anyone saying these are not a hot item need to look at it from hundreds of people with my view in mind. I have an F800GS getting a little long in the tooth and I am close to hitting the road for up to a year. When I saw the new Stelvio package with one great price for an all inclusive dual sport, I got real interested real fast. But the last time someone said no test ride I finally conceded and when the bike showed up, I got my test ride. It turned out to be just what I WASN'T looking for. So, no sale there. Unfortunately, the Moto guys around here are asking for a non refundable deposit and, sight unseen, that is not a good idea.:huh
  9. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer is trying to find some more v7's as they have sold out and are still waiting on delivery of the first one! Lol
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Bike comfort is outstanding. I had never ridden a Guzzi and was shocked at the roar through the bars, I actually ended up liking that trait. A short test ride is just enough to make you write the bike off and not buy it, a full commitment or long test ride will have you grinning ear to ear.

1150/1200 BMW's are smoother, but a Guzzi makes me smile more.:deal
  11. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I got today an email from Blackfoot Motosports Calgary that they are pre-sold on their alottment of Stelvio NTX for this season. Apaarently next ones will be available in September. I am now talking to other two dealers in Alberta, see what will come out of it. I think that a reason why these bikes are in such a demand is the apparently promotional price of $16,100 here in Canada. I think that similarly equipped 1200GSA with luggage wold be around $24,000...
    I still do not have a clear answer if the V8 Stelvio is "rideable" at 100 km/h (60 mph) in 6th gear - what would be the engine turning for RPMs at this speed?
    Cheers,
  12. Forseti

Forseti Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless the gearing has changed since 09 it is very rideable in sixth at 100km/hr. I thnk the Stelvio is geared shorter than the Norge and Grizzo. At 120kph i am around 5K. Perhaps 5.5 either way i ride at 85kph to 120kph easily in sixth.... just dont expect it to pull real hard from there. As for vibration... when maintaining speed i have little vibration in the bars though crank the throttle she does shake a fair bit. I have carpal tunnel and dont find the vibration to be a issue at all even over long distances. I do believe the GS is likely smoother but have not
    ridden one long enough to give valid opinion on that.
  13. Alberta Brock

Alberta Brock n00b

Oddometer:
    Contact Gord at Valley Yamaha in Chilliwack. They know Guzzi very well and will take care of you. I ride a 1200 Sport and if I had the cash I would be picking up a Stelvio - but that will have to wait until next year. I contacted Gord this spring about a V7 Classic for my wife, and he turned away the sale to refer us to a used V7 with only 3000km on it. Class act all the way.
  14. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA moves Guzzis...there were 2 V7 racers with "SOLD" tags on them already, and another in the back being PDI'd. I stopped by last weekend and has a great conversation with 2 other happy Stelvio owners. Sick individuals are we.

They rent bikes, and have a great Guzzi wrench to set it up prior to delivery.

My '10 Stelvio was bought through them, and like stated previously in the thread, may have cost a few bucks more from them...but for 13k trouble free miles in the past year I have never once thought about the extra few Benjamins could have saved by NOT supporting my local shop. I am still grinning like a kid on Christmas morning.

Guzzi's stock is rising as they are no longer a well kept secret...
  15. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, my 2007 Norge and my 2010 Stelvio turn the same rpms at true 65 mph. With the NTX smaller tire 150/80 vs 180/70, I'm not sure what difference there is in rolling circumference -- probably not much.
  16. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    if it's rising it's largely due to Piaggio's financial shot in the arm.

each iteration of the bikes in their lineup is noticably improved from the last...the "quirky Italian" stereotype is ebbing away, deservedly so.
  17. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SO.....are there ANY 2012 ntx's available in the USA ?
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    They aren't at the dealer's yet....2nd week in May.

But if you're asking are there any available and just not here yet.... I'm sure there are. Check Cycletrader.
    The dealer where I'm getting mine is getting their 2nd NTX in June. Small shop.
  19. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    post of the year!
  20. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like I got lucky. Phoned dealer in Richmond and they still had one NTX available for May delivery. It is a funny feeling tu put a deposit on a bike that you never actually seen, not to mention drove. I did sit on a 2010 NTX at a dealer in Calgary! So at least I have some feel what the bike is going to be like.