1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Luma46, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about upgrading from the 09 stelvio to the 2012 NTX. What prices for the 2012 NTX are you FF's hearing out there? Is anyone getting a deal of any sort?

I will sell my 09 on my own.
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't expect to hear about raging deals under MSRP on a bike that is getting very good reviews and appears to be anticipated by a number of people. There wouldn't be that many to go around in the first place...

The deals will probably be in what you pay (or don't pay) in additional fees, ie dealer setup, freight, doc fees, etc.

Those screaming deals you see on Guzzis are new leftover stock that didn't sell, and is costing someone money while it gathers dust.
  3. mentalfloss

Oddometer:
    That is what I am expecting Blakebird (R U N N O F T !LOL)

I am so used to finding "deals" I do not know if I can actually buy anything priced like that for retail:deal
    I can't remember if I have ever paid retail for a new motorcycle....????
    I worked in dealerships for years and had demos and when I did buy it was a smokin deal.
    I want to help a guzzi dealer by paying retail but I may gag a bit doing it!

That is what is hanging me up right now. It does not hurt to ask what their best price is and buy from the one I feel best about. I am doing a fly and ride probably so it is no harm in asking!

I am a bit surprised that the dealers I have talked with all have a NTX available in MAY. Are people lining up ready to buy yet or are folks waiting to see the bike first?
  4. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember - the number of people "lining up" for the first wave of NTX's is probably somewhere in excess of 75 souls:rofl and probably the number of bikes brought in will fit into a couple of overseas shipping containers...you are talking of a manufacturer of what 12000 bikes a year worldwide?

Mines coming from MPH, they get 4 - last I heard 3 were spoken for...and if guzzi keeps their promise of not dumping excess inventory in the US (something BMW stopped doing a few years ago and look at their price rise) prices should stabalize
  5. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    IMO, most people that have money down on them know what they're getting, and have ridden Guzzis before, etc. What's to see in person that you can't see in the many photos of the bike? You can't sit on it and see how it fits...but in that regard, I'm taking the word of my dealer (who sold his '09 Stelvio to get a '12 after riding one at the dealer's show in FL).

Check out All Seasons in Wooster, OH. I bought my leftover 1200 Sport there, and they're a very good shop where it counts. Small town, big inventory, great knowledge of the marques (important with new Guzzi setup).
    BMW, Guzzi, many of the Big Four brands...

There are a lot of Guzzis that I probably wouldn't pay MSRP for, and would wait for a deal a couple years down the road....but the NTX is essentially a 3rd generation Stelvio with bugs worked out, and the press is comparing favorably with the R1200GS Adventure....for much less money.
    I'm not flinching as much on this purchase at MSRP :lol3
  6. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alberta dealers have Stelvio NTX for $16,190 CND, the Richmond dealer in BC gave me another $200 off. I think this is an awesome price considering what you pay for a comparable BMW 1200GSA. I figured that for a new Adventure with the same options as standard on NTX I would pay an extra $8,500 out of the door price.
    Calgary dealer told me that Guzzi lowered price this year (not sure if just for Canada) and I tend to believe it, as I have seen in one Alberta web showroom last year's plain Stelvio ABS for about ~$17,000.
  7. mentalfloss

Oddometer:
    You are right Blakebird....I do not need to know about the bike to buy it. I have had a quota - V50 - LeMans - 09 stelvio- and the reason why I am thinking about a 12 is because I LOVE the 09 so much. It is just that at the point I am in my life the newer version may be my last keeper ever, and I wanted to get that one new and put a million miles on it !
    My wife would LAUGH at the statement about "keeper" she thinks I am a motorcycle slut always looking for the next "motorcycle mistress". After 24 years of marriage she is secure in my fidelity as far as sexual stuff with other women...but she knows I have plenty of pick up lines for the next saucy scoot that sashays by.... Hey baby.....is that a 8.5 gallon tank you have there? You sure look good.... hmmm I like that tight rear tire you have ...did you lose some weight?
  8. mentalfloss

Oddometer:
    I think that would be best for the brand. I hope they can figure out the magic between having enough to sell to the buyer that is impulsive and is buying on more of an impulse passion and few enough that resale is not affected by dealers having a bunch of leftovers.
    When I sold bikes we sold a LOT of bike to folks that wanted one right now....
    I have no problem with the retail price......gag.....gag....cough..hmmph..It is a great value. I am just conditioned to buy bikes cheap.
  9. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it....
    I got married at 41 and have been riding since age 12. My wife knew up front that motorcycles, dogs, and guitars were my obsessive hobbies.
    The NTX will be my 55th bike, there's been at least one in the garage since 1968.

She doesn't even bat an eye anymore
  10. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    2 containers full would be about 68 bikes. If 75 people are asking for them, then there will be a line...

The number is about 1/2 that... And about 10% of production makes it to the USA.
  11. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    :cry
    Bugger me drunk - if the bikes were that cheap in Aus, I think they'd sell dozens.
    As it is, we pay about $10,000 (ten THOUSAND) dollars more than you do, :huh by the time the thieving State and feral Federal governments have double and triple-dipped on taxes, duties, taxes on duties and taxes on taxes, registration charges and compulsory insurance. :eek1 It costs between $500 and $600 per year to keep a big bike legal on the road in Aus. :puke1
    And bear in mind that about now, one Aussie dollar buys a dollar & three cents Cdn and a dollar and four US.:wink:

Any jobs going in over there? :evil
    Sorry, bad question to ask :cry
  12. Luma46

Luma46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tons of jobs in the oil and gas business in Alberta, they are recruiting left and right. Not sure if you would enjoy 7 months of winter thou...:evil
  13. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    In late 2007 I worked in Victoria for a couple of months....just to your east on a Gippsland water project in Traralgon. I went to the bike show in Melbourne and was amazed by the cost of new bikes there. :eek1

The silver lining to that cloud was that some seriously good vintage iron is kept in good repair and is still on the road. Got to see some nice older rides at P.I. and spent a few weekends checking out bike shops in Melbourne.
  14. Marianopache

Marianopache n00b

Oddometer:
    I just returned from buying and driving my used 2012 Stelvio from Seattle WA to Weston FL. I drove it at around 82 mh or more in some cases. My average fuel was 42 mpg according to the computer. What a great bike!!!,! :-):clap:clap
  15. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. It's a great bike. I normally calculate my fuel mileage on a miles run divided by the fuel used basis. I have never checked to see how it compares to the bike's computer.

Ride safe.
  16. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3500 RPM @ 100km(60mph) in 6th gear
  17. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Same on the 2012 Griso also. Mine pulls smoothly from 2000 rpm in 6th. Modified map via GuzziDiag.
  18. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triple that price to keep it legal in Ontario, with only a couple months actual riding.
  19. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old post but I have just found the time to ride a new 2013 Stelvio NTX. What a great bike, surprisingly powerful, very comfortable and smooth over 4k rpms. After many GSs (18) and being disappointed more than once its time to try the Guzzi. As soon as my 06 Capo is sold the hunt for the right deal is on. By the way the Caponord is a fantastic machine, if it was shaft drive I think it would be perfect. For long distance touring I just prefer shaft drive.
  20. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a little fuel remapping the Stelvio becomes smooth from about 2k rpm on up. There are a couple of "vibe patches" in there like any engine but it is a very sweet and engaging engine when properly tuned.

I second your feelings about shaft drive for long distance riding. After owning both chain and shaft I won't go back to a chain for my long distance bike.