1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Motto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Luma46, Apr 12, 2012.

1. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I bought the bike, 2013 NTX with Agostini exhaust and 1200 miles on it. I rode it from Dallas to Knoxville. I think the bike is fantastic. It hates being under 4k RPM and I have no idea who I can go to for fuel remapping.I am going to the Moto Guzzi dealer today and see if they can help. Not sure if remapping will help but this thing drinks gas. Computer shows 35.9 to 40.5 but I am getting 28 to 32mpg. I don't care about the cost of the gas I just want the range, 8.5 gallons I should be able to go 280 to 300 miles. With this said if the bike is reliable this could be the best motorcycle I have ever owned, I love it.

2. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Todd at Guzzi Tech is your man for remapping. But if you are concerned with mileage, you had better stick to what you've got.:D
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd recommend contacting Todd at Guzzitech.

Though your mpg "stock' doesn't sound right. There was mention of a pipe on it, maybe the mapping has been played with?

I average about 36 true calculated mpg in combined riding running a lightly modified Guzzitech map on crappy California "gas". When we did our trip to Colorado last year I was averaging about 40 mpg most of the way once I got out of California.

But if mpg is a big deal for you then I'd suggest the stock map. If you would like to wear a stupid huge grin all the time and want to experience the true nature of the beast then contact Todd.

A nicely remapped Stelvio is an a truly satisfying bike to ride that actually works very very well in the real world. It might not be the most economical bike but I didn't buy it for that. That's what scooters are for.
  4. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I can get 250 or so out of a tank I am happy that's only asking for about 32 mpg. I noticed the harder I run it the better my mpg. I beat the sh$$ out of it today, a hard 400 miles and the more I kept it above 5k rpms the better, I got 34mpg and smiled all day. I will contact Todd and see what he recommends, Thank you. PS the computer said I was getting 42 mpgs and act was 34.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike, do a few fill ups and do the math with the trip meter vs the computer. They take a bit to break in much like my BM's (5-10Ks) Mine when new got high 20's to low 30's and went up to 40-43 mpg as a pretty reliable baseline and was much better on wide open spaces out west as long I kept her under 90. Mine was an 09 and riding long miles with fewer gallons I was meticulous on monitoring/recording petrol use and carried extra in rotopax when on trips. Anyways, ymmv as the saying goes and messing with pipes and or intake without proper tuning can cause issues. Is there any way to have the dealer contact the original owner to see what was or wasn't done to her?
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    You should be getting better mileage, and likely will after it breaks in a bit. Every Guzzi I've had has felt a bit tight until I got some miles on it, you could feel it loosen up and be more willing to spin.
    Just ride it where it feels good...the 2V's are more noticeable to loosen up, the 4V motor wants to spin a bit more by design...but it will still feel different as you put on the miles.

I was able to go over 300 miles on a tank on the road many times....280 to the last fuel bar. Around town it was still above 40mpg - though altitude helped.

My trip computer was pretty optimistic for a while, but eventually was pretty close as it broke in.
  7. KraigD

KraigD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the dragon yesterday. 3 passes and the trip computer went up to 42.9 got on easy road home riding at an easy pace dropped immediately to 39.7. I think it likes to be abused. I have put 2k miles on it sine I picked it up 2 weeks ago. It just gets better.
  8. GT-Rx

GT-Rx Guzzi freak

Oddometer:
    The bike still is far from being broken in, give it time... that, and colder air temps mean higher fuel consumption. As the temps and miles grow, so will the fuel mileage. Most of my mapping services offer as good, or often better then stock MPGs. Happy to be of help direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com
    p.s. Thanks to Dan and Doug for mentioning me for this service. Your dealer will be of no help, as they can only offer the OEM mapping (or updates as applicable).
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, after remapping the rpm range under 4k rpm becomes quite usable and enjoyable. It will pull nicely from 2,500 rpm on up and things start to get exciting from ~3,500 rpm on up.

When I ride off-road the 2,500 - 3,000 rpm range works really well, it's super smooth and just tractors along really nice, far better than you might imagine.
  10. O-Zone

O-Zone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been a OLD BMW guy for many years and have been looking at a used 09 Stelvio with low miles, looks new but am concerned about recalls. The dealer has only been selling Guzzies for 2 or 3 seasons. None of the recalls have been done on this bike because of the low klms I think 19000. What do you think, should I be weary ? from what I read , lovely bike
    Dracula likes this.
  11. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check that it has had rollerization done, or you will have to do it.
  12. O-Zone

O-Zone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I know that it hasn,t been done, the dealer here is new, but the owner of the bike said he was going to take it into the US to get it done if he keeps the bike........... Hmmmmmmmmm
  13. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 2005 GS 1200 and found it comfortable and smooth at speed, handles good, but not as much fun. The Stelvio, (Ive had an 09 and now a 13), is as, if not more, comfortable. My gas mileage is better (never below 40 at break in) being new with 1000 miles, and not broke in, it is livelier with revs and more fun in corners, and through the gears. I liked the front anti dive suspension on the GS, but won't go back to a GS. Also the M.G. is simpler, easy to work on, and Much better looking. IMHO
    Berardi3 and Hoak like this.