Mount Taylor - Loop 4 of the "7 trails of Gold"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Jhawkins, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been out of the ADV riding world for a year and got back in with a new 2018 FE250 recently. For the break in ride, I decided on a little day trip loop of Mount Taylor.

I live in Los Lunas, about 80 miles from the start of the Loop in Grants, NM. Headed out at noon on Sunday, Oct 8th.

Took HWY 6 to old Rt 66. This section parallels I 40 for maybe 10 miles. It's mostly "paved" but unmaintained for decade. HUGE potholes and some dirt usually keep the traffic away, but a slowdown on I40 must've caused some poor GPS routing as there were dozens of vehicles, semis, busses, etc crawling along at 5 mph. Blasted past, Rt66 to Grants

After lunch, I headed up 547 to the first dirt section. MAN - This was fun. Fast and smooth road and 2 track, banked turns, wide open desert, then a very technical and rocky climb up the mesa.

IMG_8212.jpg IMG_8214.jpg
    IMG_8217.jpg
    After that first bit, it was back to 547 (now unpaved) for some fast and wide gravel, a right on 453 up a really cool two track to Cerro Pilon

IMG_8229.jpg

Then continuing on up to the Mosca Lookout tower.

IMG_8236.jpg
    IMG_8234.jpg
    IMG_8244.jpg
    A short descent, then another climb to this dead end near the peak:

IMG_8245.jpg

Around now (5:30 PM) I start to realize that I'm running out of daylight. I miss those 9:00PM sunsets. Better hurry up, as I have a lot more trail ahead.

IMG_8249.jpg

Then it was back down to 547 for a few miles, then left on an ATV trail (Don't remember the name). Honestly this section would've been much more fun had I not been forced to rush it. Rocky ATV trail that meandered through the woods, eventually finding FR400 and making my way down the Mountain and descending to pop out on Rt66 near San Fidel.

IMG_8253.jpg

Although maybe I bit off more than I could chew, as I've not ridden off road in some time, this ride was SO MUCH FUN. I was worried that it'd be too late in the season, but temps were absolutely perfect. I should've gotten an earlier start, but all-in-all - Amazing.
  2. Jhawkins

Jhawkins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apologies for the photos being too big. I'll try to fix it.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats for getting back into riding and taking on a fairly tough ride the first time and alone.
    I have always loved the riding out near Grants. The loops in the Zunis are great too, but don't have nearly as much vertical.
    Jhawkins likes this.
  4. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that's nice there. Wish we had any scenery at all around Houston within riding distance. Thanks for posting!
  5. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jhawkins - nice post and great ride! I've done the routes south of Grants and highly recommend them but now I definitely need to go ride Mt Taylor! The 7 Trails of Gold routes are just that to DS riding....Golden!