Mountain Goat Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Johnny Bouncewell, Feb 7, 2019.

1. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Glad to hear that ! ! !

OK ... now my suggestion.

Buy an electric mountain bike ! !

I bought one last season ...they are amazing ... weigh like 50lbs, good for 30 + off road miles.

Range may be a issue for you.

Good luck

Scott
  2. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the end goal is resource extraction, a few motorcycle tire tracks are meaningless compared to the drills and dump trucks to follow.
    KTMInduro and Johnny Bouncewell like this.
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    You've left the two best bikes for your use out of your list, TTR230 and CRF230. Tw200 is just a skinny kwad, it's ok for people who don't ride dirt bikes.
    NC Rick likes this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Those bike are just what the losers who cant afford a new KTM would ride.

sieg likes this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If my price range is $3000, then my short list would definitely include the Pitster air cooled 250. It has a proven Zong motor, suspension reported here as being decent and lots of parts that cross over from other brands. It is also light weight enough to get yourself out of trouble.

That is a lot of offroad bike for under $3000. The only real down sides are not being 50 state street legal out of the box and not having a spark arrestor. But there just isn't much else like it out there for under $3000. I am tempted to buy one just to have for a backup offroad bike.
    Fallacy and Bucho like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Mountain goat?

Fuel injected Van Can 200.
    Traction everywhere.
    Don't worry about the weight.

FI is a step up from the TW!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The vanvan is heavier, carries less fuel, has worse tires stock and less suspension.
    The TW is great stock as far as the carb goes, I added a jet kit which does not seem to be needed.
    Starts right up on the choke, turn choke off and ride.
    The bike seems to run perfect at all times.
    For a dual sport, I would rather have a carb, more room in the gas tank, no electrical or fuel pump problems.
    With FI, bad battery, bike no run, they do not make enough power at idle to run everything.
    Plus, if you want an aftermarket exhaust to save weight, its cheap and easy to rejet.

I looked at the vanvan as I love Suzuki motors. But the extra weight, less suspension and street based tires turned me off.
    You are not going to get one for under $3000.00 anyway.
    TW is the smart choice as its been around forever.

Fallacy, ACR, Eatmore Mudd and 3 others like this.
  9. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    There is a $3000'ish Chinese 250cc knockoff of the Teedub sold by SSR as the XF250. I never got the attraction of fat tire bikes myself. But, hey, I am an old dirt bike guy who doesn't like adapting his riding style to funky handling stuff. They just frustrate me.

Anyway, that is out there and dirt cheap. IIRC, it is a Lifan clone of the XT225/250 and TW200 motors. The motor looks identical to the Yamaha in every respect. I suspect many Yamaha XT250 parts cross over. They are sold locally here. So, I see them on CL occasionally.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-ssr-xf250.880332/
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    If you ride solo into the wilderness, you most likely want to be on a TW.
    It gives you the best chance of getting out without injury.
    Eatmore Mudd, OConnor and cyclopathic like this.
  12. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    That $3k price is the issue. @Bucho was right about the perfect bikes for this.

But they aren't cheap and are very rare to find used.
    jonnyc21, Bucho and North ride like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    TW200
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Johnny Bouncewell

Johnny Bouncewell Surly

Oddometer:
    Soo...overwhelming consensus is to go with a TW200 with a few championing the newest crop of Chinese imports (which actually look pretty decent).

In reality, I'll probably just pick up an old TW and roll with it. Used rough ones start around 1k and are usually pretty nice around 2 grand. Price isn't really an issue here, just don't want to drop XTrainer money on a bike that will live 1200 miles away from my house (meaning I can't just take it out on the weekend and mess around). The TW has always intrigued me with its dumb and simple nature. As a bonus, I showed one to my safety officer, and she literally said "awww, thats cute!".
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Chicks dig T Dubs.
    Magus, OConnor and PlowHand like this.
  16. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    I've owned three TW200s (on a 2018 model, currently), and it is a great choice if you literally mean you will be doing lots of mileage from 1-10 mph off the beaten path.
    Bikes with long-travel suspension and tall seat heights don't make sense for that kind of riding, so the TW's 6-inch suspension and low seat height is very well suited to that.

Good thing that's the case because the quality (not quantity) of the TW200 suspension is Stone Aged compared to modern performance-orientated dirt bikes with long travel suspension, and you will not want to go fast over rough ground on the TW, anyway.
    So, do not expect a super-plush absorption of the sharp bumps.
    It's more like a step above no suspension at all.

I would not be concerned with the TW200 1st gear not being low enough.
    If it were not, you'd probably have parked the bike and started walking on foot by that point.

To me, it's not really the fat tires that make it appealing to low-speed riding, but the short suspension resulting on a low seat height, combined with the easy-to-use power characteristics.

On the street, I cruise at 40mph most of the time.
    Top speed is somewhere around 65mph (I haven't actually wound my TW out to top speed).
    PlowHand likes this.
  17. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    You can fix almost anything but weight. The TW is certainly the best choice IMO.
  18. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    I don't know what it is about this bike, but EVERYWHERE I would go on it, people would stop what they were doing and want to talk about it. The best one ever was the time I had pulled up to get an inspection sticker; The kid in front of me was on some suped up crotch rocket, and I was on my little t-dub. All of the guys at the garage paid his bike no attention and proceeded to pepper me with questions about the T-Dub and inquired as to how much they could get one for. The bike is a moped on steroids - hard to even call it a motorcycle. 13 HP? Antiquated suspension, lack of FI, 1980s styling... but man what a fun bike to scoot around on. And, once again, for the type of riding the OP is looking to do on it, I'd take it over any other bike every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Maybe it's just me, but there's no way I could ride (successfully) a normal DS or enduro through some of the terrain I took my T-Dubs on.
    Eatmore Mudd, PlowHand and UstaKood like this.
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I don't find the stock suspension bad for what the bike is supposed to do.
    I hit 55 mph on the dirt roads and trails, but you have to air down the tires (around 10 psi) and that improves the ride and grip.
    Low pays off as well, low center of gravity, low seat.
    But no, you won't dance the TW off the whoop tops.
    You CAN ignore almost anything in/on the trail and just roll over it, roots, ruts, rocks, etc.

The other (better) bikes are fun, but nowhere as safe or easy to ride in really rough stuff at lower speeds.
    UstaKood likes this.
  20. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I used to have a TW and it was alright for what it was but I would get an XT225 instead. Seat height is close but the six speed tranny, lower weight and vast selection of tires over the TW wins it over.