Mountain Goat Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Johnny Bouncewell, Feb 7, 2019.

1. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I thought the 225 was still a 5 speed?

Edit. Nope, you are correct it is a 6 speed.
  2. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen anyone mention the Kawasaki KLX140G yet, but it pretty well ticks all your boxes. Smallish bulletproof 4 stroke engine that will run all day on thimbles of gas, low 33-34" seat height, very light at 220 ready to ride, spark arrestor, full-size wheels, first gear will crawl up about anything but has 4 more gears for faster stuff, and brand-new they go for under $4000.
    Chillis and PlowHand like this.
  3. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see some pics and/or video of where Johnny Bouncewell will be using this bike.
    Would make advice more accurate.

I own a 2018 KLX140G as well as one of the originally mentioned bikes, a TTR125LE, a 2013 model.
    These are a good choice if you plan on doing a lot of riding in ridiculously tight terrain, especially if you install one-tooth-smaller front sprockets like I have to these bikes.
    The catch with these two bikes is that they are not physically large enough for big guys without making them pretty scrunched-up, as well as having suspension springs not suited to heavy weights of big guys.
    And, obviously, you get 144cc or 124cc worth of power and torque to use.
    Whether or not you'd accept this would depend on you.
    To me, once you adjust to it, it's just fine.
    If you for some reason expect the torque of a larger engine, well, forget it.

I have also owned one of the bikes mentioned above, an XT225 (mine was a 2003 model).
    Another great choice for slow-speed usage.
    As mentioned, having normal-sized wheels is a good thing as it gives loads of tire choices, from mild to wild.
    PlowHand likes this.
  4. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm w/ the TW crowd as the sensible choice.

I did like the left field suggestions of an e mountain bike and trials bike. Both have problems w/ range that you might be able to work around. One more from left field - Honda CT90 or 110 w/ the dual range box.
    imrich and Chillis like this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watched a video of a guy on a CRF50 with the mods to make it fit him better and took it to some lost mine in the mountains probably around the Sierra's or Northern NV.

I've always wanted a Rokon Trail Breaker. It fits the climbing/goat trail bike perfectly. Carry what you need; lift it over rocks or fence; float it across a stream; two wheel drive up a wall if you like.

Had a VanVan 200 briefly and it crawled over anything and was very light.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the fact that it doesn't steer like a wheelbarrow with a flat tire and has a bigger fuel tank.
    Jimo368 likes this.
  7. YZEtc

YZEtc Feel lucky?

Oddometer:
    That's true.
    The TW's tires are wide enough to where you can feel how they effect the feel of the handling.
    Not enough to be a deal breaker, but there.
    Installing different front tires that are actually rear tires (thanks to the TW's odd 18" front wheel) can get you a bit of bump steer (bumps hit with the edges of the front tire effecting the steering).

I felt this when I installed an IRC TR-8 in size 4.00-18, another rear tire used on the TW front wheel.
    It gave more traction at the expense of a weird feel while cornering that I eventually got used to, along with noticeable bump steer while negotiating rough trails.

After about a month-or-so of the TR-8, I installed an IRC TR-1 in size 4.00-18, which is a traditional trials tire.
    It feels much better in handling, no more bump steer than the stock front tire (which I felt was perfectly acceptable), and much better off-road traction than the stock front tire.
    To me, it's a good choice for the TW front tire.
  8. DOGBRETH

DOGBRETH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have KTM 200 EXC with Everything that I would gladly trade for a nice CRF230F.
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  9. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    "still"?
    It's been out of production for over a decade.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The TW handles great with the tires aired up.
    At least it handles great up to its top speed of about 65 mph.
    Its low, light, and has huge grip, but most stuff handles very well on the street if its top speed is 65 mph!

It can get odd feeling with 10 or less psi in the tires, great grip and shock absorbtion off road, but gumby on the street in corners.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Thats a new one!
    Can you explain that?
  12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Yep, I was thinking of the XT250, and that is sill a 5 speed.
  13. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my mountain goat:
    165 lbs wet
    1.75 gal. total capacity, good for 55-70 miles range at 10 mph (& under) av.speed
    2 stroke 290cc, 6 speed, trials gearing:1,2,3~ultra close, 4~semi-wide, 5,6 ~ultra wide
    seat height ~28"

[​IMG]

I make no illusions about this bike...it's a razor sharp scalpel, and it exists for me to do just one thing -Conquer the nastiest cr@p imaginable that's w/in a 25-30 mile radius from camp.
  14. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick Google search turned up this bike, which was actually called the Mountain Goat.

034ED346-D8B1-4694-A417-E0C56180EAFB.jpeg
  15. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Ryan and the FortNine crew have the best production quality videos on the interwebs. Their video on the Husky Vitpilen is amazing. +1 on the TW200.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Suzuki rotory valve 2 stroke motor!
    I had one back in the day (TC90) and it was much faster then it should have been....

17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I am hooked on Tdubs kid video's, really great riding area.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mZIezxajWy-M9SQAFZD-g

LuvNot and dustyrider like this.
  18. DOGBRETH

DOGBRETH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The riding here is mostly survival type terrain - single track with ruts, roots, rocks, etc. While I like the light weight; the tall seat height and powerband just do not suit me for the type of riding I do. I have had the head cut, added a 9 oz. flywheel weight and done a lot of jetting adjustments. Still, to ride the bike effectively requires a more aggressive riding style than I enjoy.

Wide open hill climbs on smoothish ground make the engine and suspension shine. The rest is just too much work - especially with no trophy girls waiting at the finish.
    PlowHand, Fast1 and Grreatdog like this.
  19. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the 2 stroke lack of fuel economy/range, vs the 4 strokes 60-70mpg, on regular gas.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe a lot of people look at the displacement, weight and size of a KTM200 and think it's an easy bike to ride. It isn't. It is a very powerful, very demanding race bike - more so than any other model I have ridden.

As you said, that 200 demands an aggressive riding style. It is quite the weapon for hauling serious ass on gnarly trails. But only if you are attacking those trails. It is the completely wrong bike for going slowly.
    Plebeian and Yinzer Moto like this.