Mountain Goat Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Johnny Bouncewell, Feb 7, 2019.

1. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry if I missed this, but does it need to be street legal?

I do like the TW-200. I'd like to compare it with my Super Sherpa at my sandy property sometime soon. Keep in mind that if you get an older one, you can lose the electric starter, starter clutch, battery, and rely on the kicker. Bit of weight loss to be had if you want to. Plastic tank might also help.

I suspect most two strokes are going to not be economical enough to make up for the weight in extra fuel, unless the newer ones are better.
  2. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    The most ideal as well as cheap and easy to find mountain goat bike is the already mentioned the CRF230 or it's older cousin the XR200 (The XR200 can be had for 1000-1500 all day long for decent example). The CRF230 is enough engine to haul a full size American man up to high altitude and it's geared low enough that you can climb mountain sides. I have taken it on the exact terrain you speak of behind my house, a literal deer trail up a steep high side. It's a wee bit cramped for all day riding, but if you're riding for 30 mins at a wack getting off and "working" e.g. surveying or boring holes then it's the perfect bike for the job.

A Trials bike sound great in theory but my experience with trials bikes is they take more balance and concentration than a trail bike at the same slow speeds. The TW200 I'm not sure is a bike I'd want to ride in sharp rocky terrain off trail ONLY because the tires have such a huge sidewall and are so wide I'd worry about cutting a sidewall. Something I've seen happen to Quad tires in sharp rocks. I've putted around on the TW and it is definitely a low geared tractor of a bike, but I've never taken one into serious rocky mountain terrain.

If we were down in Aus, the Yamaha AG Bike would be the answer!
    [​IMG]
    Ride Now and PlowHand like this.
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    If you watch the tdubs kids video's he rides in lots of rocks and the only time he got a flat was from a nail.
    I would think quads would have a problem because they are wide and wont give when trying to get between two rocks...

The CRF230L (street legal version) was not sold for long I think and is very rare around here.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I know most KTM's are like that, built to be ridden hard and fast, but I would not expect that so much from a 200cc bike.
    I can see it though, its a race bike and would likely kick ass around here on the tight sandy stuff, even moreso then a bigger bike or any 4 stroke.

5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A KTM200 is throwing down over 35 hp. The engine is tuned like a 125 MX bike only with way more displacement. A KDX200 it is not.

Mine was one hell of a fast motorcycle. My EXC525 is as tame as a golden retriever puppy in comparison.
    Fallacy and Rogue_Ryder like this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have ridden a KDX200, and it still liked fast over slow.
    I rode it back to back with my XT250 and while a lot faster in the rough stuff, it was not as easy to ride as the xt.
    Maybe the suspension was set up for more speed....
    35 hp out of a 200cc 2 stroke, wow!
  8. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Trials bike sound great in theory but my experience with trials bikes is they take more balance and concentration than a trail bike at the same slow speeds.
    [/QUOTE]

:fpalm
  9. KYVanVanMan

KYVanVanMan n00b

Oddometer:
    TW200 is great. Suzuki VanVan is better. Much more comfortable seat for off road. Also advantage of FI. Throw a gal rotopax on the back and you have 175 mile range.
    Wgt, seat height within 1" and 5# of TW200. Depending on country you are in the VanVan125 is also a great bet.
  10. OUTERLIMITS

OUTERLIMITS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be my recommendation as well or even better a Pitster Pro XTR250 as noted above. Both bikes are mountain goats, excellent range. The XTR250 has a lot better suspension and back up kick start unlike the CRF and can still be had for around $2500 delivered to your door last time I checked. The CRF has a 6th gear if that's important to you and a little lower seat height.
  11. Mattna

Mattna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may as well be street legal? IF that's the case, +1 TW200, you can figure-8 it on a piece of plywood, and the fat rear tire can be aired down for great low speed tractoring. I had a CRF230L that would also fit the bill - 6-speed box with a crawler 1st gear and real-sized wheels with a very low seat and very simple and light. Also DR250 / KLX250L / older XR 200s etc.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    At the price point for the requirements the TW200, XT225 or CRF230L sure look to be good options.

To bad you can’t go up in budget or I would suggest the KTM Freeride, Sherco X Ride, or to top the list a Beta 4T 250 trials with the seat tank setup in my opinion.

Good luck!
    UstaKood likes this.
  13. Jmarklowitz

Jmarklowitz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1st thought was an atv. LOL. But if you want a two wheelier get the atv of two wheeliers. Rokon. I've not seen one any where near $3k For that money it would probably be in pretty bad shape. 1st choice within your budget would be any of the fat tire bikes. Another vote for the TW200!. I have a KDX200 and it doesn't fit your description. A lot more fun though. Happy hunting.
  14. Kid Shelleen

Kid Shelleen n00b

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of TW200 votes. We've owned those---but my wife & I currently own a pair of Suzuki Van-Van 200's. We've also owned the XT250, KLR 250, NX250 but the Van-Vans are our favorites.
    They are lighter, fuel-injected and have an all-day comfortable seat. The new ones are cheaper than the TW. In my area (western Maryland/WV/SW PA, good, low-mileage used ones go for $2,500-$2,800.
    We hope to ride the MABDR on ours later this year. They are also OK in the snow as long as it's not too deep. Those fat tires ride on top of the snow instead of digging down for traction.
    Joe Gilmore DSCN5582.JPG DSCN5585.JPG

Bucho, Ride Now and Rogue_Ryder like this.
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Everyone likes what they own.
    I looked at and sat on the vanvan, and tend to like Suzuki engines and FI systems.
    But the vanvan has more weight, less suspension, less fuel and street biased tires stock.
    It would have been great if they had put a TU250 motor in it, at least it would have had more power then the TW.

It should have had 1 inch MORE not less suspension, another gallon of gas and the TU engine and it would have sold like hot cakes and I would have got one...
  16. aaronc70

aaronc70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this type of trials/trail hybrid when OP mentioned "Mountain Goat". I've been eyeballing one of these for awhile to try and conquer some game trails up steep hills o the family farm. Need to keep my eyes peeled for one!
  17. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    ^ Yeah there’s also the scorpa t ride and a few others that are closer to trials bikes but finding one and finding one in the OPs budget might be difficult.

I had a Sherco 4t 3.2 that was fun to mess around with on the rocks behind my house but it wasn’t practical for trail rides. I think a bike for working is one that you can relax on and ride kinda lazily. I personally wasn’t able to do that on a trials bike. Just the fact that it has no seat should clue anyone in on that; the 2nd part is the steep head angle. And you’ll not get far from the truck on the small gas tak. They will go places you could never get a true enduro but in that terrain it’s faster to walk...
  18. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For under $3K??
  19. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No time yet to read the all thread, so perhaps someone gave those advice before:
    - Yamaha XG 250 Tricker, quite like a vintage trial for the tank, the weight and the seat
    - Borile Multiuso: made for that job, light, can carry stuff and even pull a trailer
  20. tronket

tronket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would look hard into KLX140L. Several suggestions for 140G. But, if OP is looking at CRF150F and TTR125LE, 140L is the same size. You can get a brand new one for $3k. I have a CRF150F, and I would take the 140L over it: 25lbs lighter, rear disk brake, stiffer suspension (you'll need a BBR front spring in the CRF, if you're over 160lbs). When going over gnarly stuff at a walking pace, CRF's size is much nicer for me than the 250EXC. But I'm 5'9". Mine is geared down to a 50T in the rear and uncorked. At 190lbs fully loaded, I have no problem chugging up steep hills at a nudge over idle.