Mountain Goat Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Johnny Bouncewell, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind, trials bikes don’t climb hills well. Same with the hybrid bikes like the Freeride. The short swingarms make them a handful if you are trying to crawl up a steep hill. With short swingarms, hills need to be hit more aggressively, almost jumping to the top of the hill. To hit a hill on a shorter bike, the bottom of the hill needs to be hit with enough speed to almost coast to the top. Look at AMA hill climb bikes, they have 5’ long swingarms for a reason.
    Fallacy and alvincullumyork like this.
  2. urki

urki RenOObed

Oddometer:
    I had a 1994 xt 225, Yamaha aptly named "serow". I remember riding quite a few gully's thinking it was an amazingly stable 'goat'. Not a freeway speedster, though.
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    And with an xt225, if it wont make it up the hill, just pick it up and carry it up.
    Very fun bikes, small, light, enough suspension to be fun.
  4. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tire and suspension/ground clearance concerns are legit, but you gotta drop the weight and fuel capacity complaints. You're talking a 0.08 Gallon and 5 lb. difference. That's not really a difference worth noting...
    Fallacy likes this.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Ok, I will drop that and add the TW comes stock with a skid plate. At least it LOOKS like one.
    It will stop rocks from the front tire I guess, but its there...

My main point is if you are going to bring out a new bike into the US market, why make it just a slight amount worse then what is there already?
    They could have sold loads of vanvan's with another 1/2 gallon of gas, a TU250 motor, and something more then 5 inches of suspension travel.
    The TW has 6.3 inches of travel and needs all of it, Suzuki could have done 7 instead of 5.
    Who wants a dual sport with 5 inches of travel???? Sit on it and half is gone...

Suzuki has a 400 pound low power 250cc twin for a new street bike and the vanvan which is not quite as good as a TW for the same price.
    Does not seem very smart to me.
  6. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    To me, it looks like a street and DS version of the same concept. The TW is definitely more built-up for off road use. It would get my vote for that reason. If I was using the bike as a moped for cruising around town, the FI and seat on the Suzuki would probably seal the deal.
  7. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ever ridden a Freeride? I've spent the last two weeks climbing shit I cant walk up with a Freeride. That thing is amazing.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I owned one for 3 years and currently own 2 trials bikes.

It is amazing what it can do but a longer wheelbase bike will always tractor up something better.

My 150xcw is less prone to wheeling out on the really steep climbs.

There were some really steep climbs this past Sunday

The Freeride would do some good stuff but it required momentum.

9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I think there is a lot of skill there as well as the bike...
  10. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No recommendations on a bike but just wanted to say that my dad was an exploration geologist for Gulf Oil back in the late 40’s and early 50’s in northern Nevada and parts West, doing the same sort of thing as you. They used old army surplus jeeps.
  11. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roamer, don't want to derail the thread but is your Freeride a late model and what do you think of it overall? Looking for something for my daughter and the lower seat height and tractable power seems like a winner especially if the problems of the earlier models have been ironed out. Also what sort of speeds would they cruise at on an open fire trail?

Thanks
  12. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    My favorite mountain goat is a Honda Trail 90/110. It's been a long time since they've been sold new in the US but there are many still in daily use. I have a 68 with a Lifan 140 engine that fits the mountain goat category pretty well.

A few basic requirements:
    100 mile round trip range. (160 mile range)
    Damn good hill climbing and knarly terrain ability ( under square engine torque)
    Cheap (under 3k or so) (under $1000 in mine)
    Spark arrestor (yes)
    Light--under 200 wet would be AWESOME but probably not realistic short of a modern trials machine (180 lbs)
    Low seat height to reduce chances of injury when I inevitably bail from a bad decision (very low seat and step through frame)
    Nothing that scares my safety officer (A Trail 90 won't scare anyone)
  13. xrmike

xrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TW200 hands-down. It's not exotic. Stupid simple maintenance (put in oil & buy gas), inexpensive. It will get you wherever you want to go... maybe not as fast as others but no matter what it'll get you there. Huge Fun-Factor.
    Yeah, I'd love a Husky, KTM, CRF250, Christini, Beta but the plodding TW will outlast all of them over the years.
    My XR is for more serious riding. My TW is like the Triple-AAA on the trails for as many times I've stopped to help folks pick-up their bikes that cost 3-4 times as much and/or tried to help someone start one that has stalled. Really a no brainer for the projected service you described. Great value to buy and sell used. No one gets burned with a TW. Seems like infinite mods and accessories. Basically the same bike since 1987 with just a few upgrades over the years. Do you think Yamaha knows they have a "winner"? I'd go further to let you know that besides having a "magic button" you can add a kick-starter kit.
    Deep in the woods THAT is very important. Not sure how many of the other bikes I mentioned can still be both kick & electric start?
    PlowHand likes this.
  14. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some advantages of the CT90/110:

Hi/lo subtransmission. First gear lo range is sub-walking speed.

Auto clutch. When you stop, no need to find neutral.

Step thru frame and low seat makes getting on and off easy.

Kick and centerstand.

Milk crate fits rack perfect.
    PlowHand likes this.
  15. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would love have one of these.
    But forget, only a few in the whole Europe.
  16. Marty@32

Marty@32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a GasGas Pampera trail bike that made difficult climbs that easy it felt like cheating! I don`t suppose many people have come across one but it would tick a lot of your boxes.
    I bet not many people has seen an Ecorider either! ECORIDER.jpg
    PlowHand and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the bike. Just clean and lube the starter Bendix and bushings. Mine were wore out by 41 hours.
    My Freeride is a 17. It's crazy nimble and super light. I never really looked at the speedo, but ill check it today.
  18. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always love it, but here you can only get a 125cc. Guess the same with the 250 engine of the Tricker (but with a kick) would be a top seller.
  19. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  20. Willboo

Willboo n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 250 CRFX that I swapped out the sprockets on. Top speed is laughable but it'll mountain goat for me. It's light, nimble, has a USFS approved spark arrester and enough power for my 190#. All that being said, I'd give the TW a nod for what you're describing.