Mountain Goat Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Johnny Bouncewell, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roamer. Is it a 350 or 250? The 18 model 250 is supposed to be better again (like all new models I suppose) and I was hoping that it would be a bit more trail rather than trials oriented while still being a great beginners bike with low seat height and friendly manners.
  2. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the 250 two stroke
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    What qualities of a Freeride do you consider "trials oriented", and what changes would you like that would make it less so?
  4. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden one but I know that they have a steeper steering head angle than the exc and I think a shorter wheelbase. They also have a smaller fuel tank and all of the reviews of them seem to be just riding around in small areas. I just wanted to know if someone had one would it be nervous sitting on 80 - 90 km/hr (50mph) like a real trials bike would or is it more like the Beta Xtrainer which seems a softer enduro or trail bike.

Most of my riding would requires about 150 -160 km (100 miles) between refuels so that would mean carrying some fuel unless a larger tank was available.
  5. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The misconceptions regarding Trials bikes and Trials-inspired "hybrids" in this thread are downright astonishing.

Trials bikes don't climb hills? Trials bikes are more difficult to ride slow than a TW200? What utter nonsense.

JET
    Bucho, PlowHand, Wonkyconk and 2 others like this.
  6. cattltrkr

cattltrkr n00b

Oddometer:
    You can't beat this for slow, all terrain versatility. Screenshot_20190213-203750_Chrome.jpeg
    Oilhed and Chillis like this.
  7. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rokon
    Chillis likes this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I think the only thing that would make a Freeride "nervous" at 50 mph would be the tires that come on the U.S. models. A long wheelbase and raked out front end would negate the purpose of the bike. Fuel range will be an issue.
    To ride a Freeride is nothing like riding a Trials bike, in any circumstance.
  10. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did a few miles at speed. 50 is comfy. I think the longest ride I've done so far was 80, and I was on reserve at around 75. Bike never felt nervous.
  11. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running the Maxxis Trialmax that came with it, but I replaced the tubes with Nitro Mouses, soft front and medium rear.
  12. AGIANT

AGIANT n00b

Oddometer:
    TW200 is an amazing mule, it will take you anywhere.
  13. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.
  14. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Roamer.
  15. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if any of the TW200 proponents have ridden side hills (as mentioned in the original post) on one.
    I haven't so I'm asking, but my impression of the bike, based on numerous rides, is that it would not do well.
  16. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I'm running the same tire on my enduro bike, on the bigger bike it's squirmy but it has it's good points.
    To the OP, I look at rocks for free, but I don't know anything about them. I took this photo yesterday in what is obviously a volcanic area near my house.

Untitled3.png
  17. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is that located? I know of some identical rocks in Arizona
  18. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I bet you do, it's right down the road from you.
    Was that you that welded my sub frame for me a while back? If so I told your buddy Tom to call me when you guys want to go riding.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Freeride would usually go on reserve at about 45 miles. I never ride any open terrain. I get about the same range on my 150 and all my riding buddies who ride the same terrain, get about the same range on their bikes. If you are managing to get 50mpg out of a regular 2 stroke, you’ll get it on the Freeride.

The steering is more “nervous” than a regular dirtbike but not as “nervous” as a trials bike.

This is some of the stuff that the Freeride does best.

This was my first race ever, I managed 36th among some really good riders, like Cody Webb and David Knight. Knight makes an appearance, dressed in black, at the end of the video.

More good stuff on the Freeride

20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do hill climb bikes run 4’ long swingarms? Maybe our definition of hills are a little different, I am talking about riding up hills that can not be walked up without using hands to help pull me up and are approaching vertical.
    Fallacy and alvincullumyork like this.