Mountain riding, blind left curves...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by IdahoRenegade, Sep 29, 2021.

1. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a public road, not a race track. You don't get prizes for saving .01 seconds in a curve. The primary goal is survival. Speed has to be adjusted to level that allows you to avoid hazards, be they vehicles, gravel, fallen tree branches, wildlife or potholes. If blind curves or blind hills mean you can only see thirty feet ahead, you drop your speed so that you can stop within that distance. The laws of physics will prevail regardless of the posted speed limit. Riding in the outer third of your lane will let you see further around a curve and let you be seen sooner by oncoming traffic. Apexes are irrelevant, position the bike to maximize your sight distance. Otherwise, you are just playing Russian roulette on two wheels.
    300man, DR Donk, baldman1 and 2 others like this.
  2. FlyingLo

FlyingLo FlyingLo

Oddometer:
    The collective response that we must ride safely on public roads for our own and others lives has restored my faith in this forum.
    Another psychological trap we can fall victim to and throw caution to the wind is group riding through areas of limited sight lines. It is tempting to think that the rider ahead of you will clear the way, as well as be pushed beyond a safe speed to catch he/she when you loose sight of them.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please.

[​IMG]
    dirty_t and lamotovita like this.
  4. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can relate to the op. I live in eastern TN also. You slow down due to visibility, then, when about 2/3 through the turn you see could have gone faster, and you feel like you just wasted a curve. I agree with the responses, though. Without visibility, going fast means making assumptions. When you assume wrongly, bad things happen.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I'll dive into a few blind left handers that I know well. Not recommending anyone do it but not giving a fuck is often misunderstood. :D
    luftkoph likes this.
  6. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. The roads in that lovely section of this country are just too unpredictable to run too fast, or blindly. You want to have fun, and make it home. I had a blast riding the Blue Ridge but I wound up doing it by myself, so that adds into some hesitation. You will hear about them finding bikes, or rider remains every few years from guys that misjudged and went off the side. In some of those areas there just is no one to find you.

When the "decreasing radius" turns just keep getting tighter and tighter you know you are doing things right. Naturally left handers are more difficult than right handers. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. Don't let others bother you. You wasted a day, not a curve and wasting a day on the motorcycle is perfect.
  7. Storz

Storz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in the land of blind corners and have no shame in slowing down for them
    markk53 likes this.
  8. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the blind turns get really bad, I'll let some local in a pickup truck pass so he can plow the road for me.
    IdahoRenegade and c1skout like this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Agree, but our version of slow is noticeably different from the flat land tourists. Now that the OP is a local, i can understand his desire to learn the roads better. It’s just going to take him getting seat time out there.
    IdahoRenegade likes this.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    :nah
    Many tracks have blind turns, forcing you to commit without a clear line of sight. T1 at Bridgehampton was an example, and it was at the end of a half mile long front straight.

I have several bikes, ranging from an R1200RT to an RC390. The smaller bikes are lighter and more nimble, allowing you to adjust your line easier, but either one works well within its limits. I guarantee I'm quicker on the KTM in the tight stuff. :D
    I'm on the other side of the Gap from you - just take the time to learn the roads, and you will get more comfortable.

Just don't get TOO comfortable, sooner or later you'll find someone in your lane. :bluduh
    Mrstig, IdahoRenegade and AwDang like this.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kids who like to race on the street. I always tell them that there are no corners in a hospital bed. If you can not see slow down. If a car is coming slow down You can ride it again later. wood hauler one time took half my lane, I was in a right hander. I swear my tire hit his lightly. Had that been a left hander, I would have had to put my tire in the marbles, and dodge his mirror. Even worse.

Rod
  12. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    But race tracks have corner workers and marshals for just that reason. That is why the smart folks slow down on the road.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Not disputing that, but to make a statement that racetracks don't have blind corners is 100% BS.
    AwDang likes this.
  14. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sigh, yes the corner is blind. But you also know that there is no broken down pick up in your lane, or a tree across the road or. . . you know the road is clear if there are no yellow flags. Therefore you can commit safely. You simply can not do that on the street.
  15. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    As you should. What's the problem here? Never go faster than your sight line allows you stop. You're not gonna get a trophy on the street.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shit around here you don't have to let 'em pass. You'll be hauling down your favorite road at a good clip and some centenarian in a '50s vintage Ford pickup will come outta nowhere and pass you like Michael Shumacher.

Back when Chevy Chase was funny.....​
    FW190Pilot and DesertPilot like this.
  17. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around here it's most likely a landscaper's truck. Loaded with stuff. That might fall out, which makes things a bit more sporting.

Best so far was one of those big sofa-sized gas-powered BBQs, which bounded down the road in front of me, shedding parts like a dog shakes off water, until it flew into a ditch. Way cool! I wish I had a movie!
  18. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I typed that I knew someone would post an exception, doesn't matter it's the principle. And of course race tracks have flaggers even on corners with good visibility since a racer's vision is focused more on the task at hand than what's around the next corner.
  19. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I once was preparing to pass a farm truck when a live hog fell out in front of me.
    FW190Pilot and DesertPilot like this.
  20. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Old melvilleville, it was the dope growers' pickups that were good rabbits. Either a 'Yota or a big diesel. Something about marijuana makes people in a hurry.
    IdahoRenegade and DesertPilot like this.