Mountain riding, blind left curves...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by IdahoRenegade, Sep 29, 2021.

1. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bears repeating.
  2. x_hog_ridr

x_hog_ridr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out #motojitsu on YouTube. He has lots of videos on taking corners safely. I have learned a lot from him. I am riding and living in WNC and going much faster, but safer after watching his content.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most people focus on the potential oncoming traffic, slow cars, people....
    There's also gravel spread from hidden driveways, downed trees, deer, bears, ice patches because "they have to pipe in the sunlight in the hollers," weekend redneck so-called pranks, unreported road washouts, etc.
    It's autumn, it's the mountains, and it's still hurricane season. It's also Halloween weekend coming up. Don't forget which hunting season is in play...and I don't just mean wear orange. It's illegal to shoot from a vehicle, but that don't mean shit to some folk.

edit to add:
    It's not a race track, it's an obstacle course. If you've gone a while with smooth sailing, it's going to be in the next curve most likely.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    BOOOOOOOO
  5. messes

messes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tree's can be your friends, take this left hander, starting at this point on street view.

The red line represents the furthest point you can see round the turn from the that position on the road. The first is the exact point above on street view, the second is after two clicks forward. Notice how between the 1st and 2nd picture you can see further around the corner. (The orange blob is approx. where the first red line was)

upload_2021-10-27_19-6-37.png

Now click forward one more time and you can now see this. The road has turned and is now a right hander.

upload_2021-10-27_19-7-50.png

As you approach a bend and find this point where the two sides meet you can approximate the speed of the corner vs how this point moves in relation to yourself. There is no need to leave your lane, in fact being towards the right of the lane would actually let you see further round a left hander. If that point is getting closer to you, then you are going to fast. If it's moving away from you and revealing more of the road, you probably can go faster. If it remains the same, congratulations you got that just right.

Now you should never ride at 100% of your bikes capacity to this limits movement as you have no scope to change your plan. The idea is you can stop safely in the distance of your side of theroad you can see clearly. This principal is used by the police riders in the UK in order to ride in pursuit on roads. You should find the movement of this point gives a good guide to the tightness of the corner and the speed you can use.

Also caveat, you should always take into account other conditions (mud, oil, leaves), events (traffic jams, farm vehicles), local knowledge (bad junction, popular cafe). You need to adjust your speed to be safe on account of other things you have see that could cause you harm as well as this.
    c1skout and Rockred like this.
  6. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That right there is an excellent analogy, sound advice especially for beginning riders.
    Rockred and Cheshire like this.
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Key point is nobody builds a race track with traffic traveling in both directions, with guard rail, drop offs, ditches, trees and road signs on each side. So it really doesn't matter if the corner is blind or not after a few practice laps.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Don't argue with the 30 wheel possum chip trucks.
  9. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never heard those words in that combination before. Took me a minute with google, but...damn. That's mildly terrifying.
  10. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I have a titanium rod down the inside of my tibia from my knee to my ankle from shattering my left leg when I low sided in a blind left hand corner. I was also going from bright sun into heavy shade. I was crowding the center line which was very sandy, which was left over from the last snow.