Mountainbikes vs. enduros

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rhino_343, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I used to ride moutain bikes a lot when I was younger but got to busy (and then to fat and unfit:deal ) to be bothered of late. Now that I am in the late 30's I am thinking I need to get fit again and also I have a huge amount of fantastic coastal single track at my door step that I am not allowed (and is patrolled by rangers) to ride on a dirt bike (well maybe sometimes I sneak in...) that I would like to ride through. The terrain is a combo of rocky hills, loose sand, hard pack clay sand and limestone. So thinking about bike choice (when I get some money coming in) and this is where my questions for mountain bikers of the current millenium lies...
    what is the closest thing you can get with pedal power to an enduro bike? (I would love a electric moto like a Zero, but this is about getting fit...) I know that the big tyred/suspended downhill bikes look the part, but arent they only one gear? Is there anything with the heavy duty suspension, big tyres, lightweight and good gearing for x-country riding??
  2. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. BrandonR

BrandonR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mountain bikes have to tradeoff strength for weight. The big downhill bikes are very tough but also very heavy. No they aren't just one gear standard these days is 27 gears. You're probably going to be best off with a bike in the "all mountain" category, these will have 4-6" of suspension, weigh in the low to mid 30's. Fit on a mountain bike varies from one brand to another so it's best to go out and test ride a variety.
  4. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, an all-mountain bike is probably it. Though it doesn't really matter what you get. If you have some skills (even if you have to remember them from your youth :wink:) any bike will do. I rode a $300 hardtail in 6/12Hr events and did some pretty competitive times. Same as on motos, it's the rider that makes the difference; in my case it was due to fitness, not super skills. I did get some laughs for having a kickstand :D
  5. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    I have both hard tail(Giant) and a duali (Raleigh)

IMHO go for a XC or all-mountain dual suspension bike

Giant great value for money.....but everyone has one:rofl

you could also look at the Mongoose Teocali :1drink if i ever get the money for a new bike that's on the list

:D its good to see im not the only 30'something fat bastard getting back into MTB again:lol3
  6. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    down hills normally 1x9 one large chain ring nine cluster at the back....but if your smart you adjust the largest rear ring out so its just using the eight :deal
  7. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    I think AVANTI, GIANT, MONGOOSE and maybe SCOTT are all probably good value for money.

David
  8. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Hey Rhino! :thumb

I ride a fair bit of MTB (over the summer months) to compliment the offroad and enduro motorcycling activity. I have been "in" to MTB's as a cross training/recreational thing since the late 80´s... even done a few long distance x-country events and multi day rides over the years.

Like you are on about... it is great physical training, many of the skills/reaction time when you are booking through single track at 20 km/h on the bicycle, translate directly over to what you are doing a MC at 60 km/h down an enduro trail... AND you can access some great places - that if you were on a moto - you would be headhunted from... just like you say.

My advice would be (using the GIANT link that Dirt Diver posted as a reference) something along the lines of the trail/sport-dual suspension models... with around 4" of good quality front and back suspension... Bit like BrandonR was on about.

I have tried everything from the pure bred x-country route (competition hardtail with lock out front forks), to a full tilt suspension free rider (SPECIALIZED FSR "big hit" with 6.5" front and back)...

The comp cross country bikes are light, accelerate well, climb great and if you want to log some big km's are great (but I would recommend a "damped" seat post for us older blokes).

The freeriders are fun, soak up the bumps and stuff if you like technical terrain (the ride is surprisingly like riding an enduro bike relatively speaking) but the suspension tends to sap the pedal power (yanks call it pogoing) and the extra weight and pogo effect tend to make climbing more of a chore... the result is you find yourself gravitating more to the downhill slopes... So if "fitness" and an all round terrain capability is your goal... go the dual sport route.

Anything with more than 4" is overkill (well, at least that's what SBSP reckons! :rofl )... if your not into the downhill/freeride extreme scene. :deal

[​IMG]

This is my insane 40 year old "little" brother at Whistler MTB park last summer? :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think BMX and MTB stack's have taken more toll on us over the years that motorcycle accidents (note he is riding in an air splint ankle cast! :lol3 )!

Nowdays I ride a KONA "Dawg"... it's a full suspension "enduro" MTB. Fox vanilla 4.2" rear air/oil shock with lock out and a 4.5" Marzocchi Bomber front fork with lock out... It is great for technical rooty rocky single track, the shocks let you book down some downhill stuff (within reason) and it's light enough that with the "lock out" you can still get along at a fair pace on the roads or climbs pretty well... I love it - a great compromise! :D

Godd luck wiffit!:lol3

Me and the GF are off for a post breaky trail ride on the pedal pushies! :D
  9. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet Jesus....any side-on pics in the 2nd photo? :eek1

Looks like a cliff side
  10. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good info fellas, gives me a good place to start. I think I am going to be looking second hand for an all mountain style by some of the prices I have seen for Giants and Specialized:deal But the bikes look like they have come a long way and should be heaps of fun once I get past the :puke1 stage and develop a little bit of :lift
    At the end of the day it is a bloody good exscuse to be outside more and on the dirt!:ricky

Troy, love the pics mate:super Those crazy Canadians make some awesome freeride trails that I have seen on video, looks like huge fun (if you got huge balls!) Some of those drops would make your pulse race a little I reckon:yikes
  11. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Just bought one of these last week..

[​IMG]

One way to beat the ever increasing price of fuel and get some exercise at the same time.. :clap
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 7116210" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>vOOdsy</TD><TD class=alt2>Sweet Jesus....any side-on pics in the 2nd photo? :eek1

Looks like a cliff side

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah... he is up there alright! :eek1 Flight 2 double seven... your cleared for landing runway #2... :1drink

[​IMG]

Balance beam routine anyone? :evil

[​IMG]

Freestyle park...

[​IMG]

Steep in places...

[​IMG]

Technical in places...

[​IMG]

off his face... :huh

[​IMG]

Off the wall... :lol3

[​IMG]

and just downright scenic in places! :clap

[​IMG]

In fact Kent and I were laughing just the other day talking about it... quite often when your out at these kind of places (I get it all the time at the MX track, MTB trails or even up at the lake skiing sometimes)... You're out riding, meet some other guy's along the way, ride together for a while, then when you stop for a break, rip the helmet of... and the (typically 18 - 25-ish) young blokes do a double take and say things along the lines of..."Hey grandpa... you're an old coot!? :huh ... what the...?"

I guess AdvRider must be a haven for middle aged teenager adrenalin junkies...? Most of my Adventure Riding mates are of similar age (round 35-45), but I notice the demographic becomes a lot lower in the MTB, MX and wakeboard circles... Must have something to do with security and responsibility... No wonder my kids are glad I'm well insured! :lol3

I will have to dig out the CD's from the moving boxes and show you guy's some shots of the MTB trails here in Sweden, up in the mountains; at Åre and some of my local trails here in Hallandåsen/Söderåsen (southern ranges)... it's all national park and reserve... which means no mo'bikes... but great on the pushie! :D
  13. MOLAHS

MOLAHS Sisyphus

Oddometer:
  14. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nev , I look forward to seeing your new bike in acion...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. scottmoto16

Oddometer:
    Yep this will keep you fit....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lurmcXjwyU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lurmcXjwyU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  16. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    Scott that will "keep" you fit........it helps IF your fit to start with:wink:
  17. scottmoto16

Oddometer:
    Yep , I'm fit for something , just not sure what...........:lol3
  18. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    BMX is the way to go. Then rollerblades. Dingbats were popular once, so were skateboards, I heard hula hoops are the new thing.
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Molahs, I love you like a brother (okay, so it's more like a cousin... that we never talk about... :D ), but anyway. for a long time now I've wondered (puzzled+) at your quotation/cut n' paste technique??? Why in the name of merciful god is it necessary to re-hash an entire post to contribute one sentence. :huh

it's not the first time you've heard this, but I'm sure a lot of people find it laborious...

Okay, there... now I've been pedantic... back to the fun!

Oh and to address your well meant message Molahs... you are 100% right... there are no replays! :thumb Take each day for what it is... and make it your own!:D
  20. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    He said Enduro not Trials :rolleyes

:D

MTB can be good for the moto skills, it's where I got my balance from. We have this thing called a Trail Gator which connects the young fellas bike to the seat post on ours, lifting his front wheel off the ground, kind of like a bicycle for 2 but with quick release. Took him for a ride today and discovered I can trackstand with him on the back, sitting or standing, and even one handed :clap:D

Can't do that trials shit though :bluduh