Mounting Acerbis XRL 5.8gal tank on DR350S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mellephants, Jul 15, 2015.

1. mellephants

mellephants loves dirtbikes

Oddometer:
    I recently did the XRL tank on DR350S. I did not follow the same exact method as the others, although looking at their posts is why I knew it would fit in the first place.

I :
    • did not cut the stock tank rear mount
    • fabricated rear bracket adapter from included hardware and a small additional section of ~1/8" flat steel
    • did not cut the nub off the frame
    • put a little grease on the rubber pucks and slid the tank on over them
    • bolted tank to frame/engine mount on left side only using bracket fabricated from ~1/8" flat steel
    • removed rubber spacer between seat and tank for very tight fit
    • ziptied included rubber frame spacer on top of factory metal heat shield (good idea to use both because inframe oil tank can get HOT)
    So this 5.8 gal XRL tank is 100% reversible to stock DR350S tank. I have not yet tried crashing with it, but I have jumped it and hammered it over potholed gravel roads and such and it has been fine.

Front bracket v2 (v1 is behind it)

[​IMG]

Front bracket installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Wolfman Enduro tank bag (can be located behind fuel cap covering part of the seat, or on top of fuel cap and completely off the seat) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am aware that I'm lacking photos. I think the other two guys have it pretty well covered (see below), but I may add more photos later.
  2. mellephants

Oddometer:
    Next I will copy the two posts which inspired me to fit this tank on my bike.
  3. mellephants

Oddometer:
    AleksanderTheGreat's guide

This will hopefully be the guide to end all guides for fitting an xr400/250 tank onto our noble steeds, and don't say I've never done anything for you.

You do this at your own peril, I will not be obligated to help/advise/be held responsible/liable if you did something wrong.

You are putting something onto something it was never meant to go on, I am not an engineer, just a simple man with an unorganized garage full of tools.

Moving on,

So my dr350 buddy offered me face value of the old tank provided I help him put it on, so I took the opportunity to upsize tanks.

DR350 Acerbis tank capacity: 4.25 gallons
    XR400 Acerbis tank capacity: 5.80 gallons

Where the acerbis dr350 tank comes only in white, the acerbis xr400 tank also comes in white, natural (so you can see the fuel from the outside), as well as red, this wasnt a selling point to me as I stuck with white, but it may be to you.

Here are some tank comparisons photos, since I had both on hand, I wanted to give you guys very clear photos while I had the chance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that you see the tank, you must be wondering, is it hard to mount, well, yes and no. If you have any experience turning some wrenches in the garage, and have a dremel and a hardware store near you, this shouldn't take you more than a day or two, the most time consuming for me was dremeling the brackets. I wasted a day trying to use just a threaded rod, but a good nights rest brought the threaded coupler epiphany upon me, and I sprang into action at 10am going to Lowes, and was filling up at the gas station around 4pm. That included taking all these pictures, and waiting ~45min for the wrinkle coating paint to bake onto the brackets.

Now having said all that, first thing you will need to do is grind/dremel off the nub for the stock rubber plug that the factory tank utilizes, but you only need to do this on the right side of the bike, like so

[​IMG]

For the seat bracket, you will have to cut your stock seat bracket down to just above the holes for the 2 bolts that bolt the bracket to the frame, as for making a new bracket, I went to the lumber section of my local hardware store and bought some cheap piece of metal (it was 88 cents I believe) and drilled two holes to fit the frame bolts, and 2 more holes for the threaded inserts on the tank. I then dremeled the bracket down a bit so it wouldn’t look as shoddy and painted it with wrinkle spray paint. I then picked up a couple bolts, M6 I believe, washers, and some thick rubber washers so the bracket would not rub against the plastic of the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The acerbis xr400 kit comes with a rubber half moon pad, this is where I placed it

[​IMG]

Bolted all together, I put the stock suzuki bracket underneath the bracket I created. Nice and sturdy

[​IMG]

So far everything has been fairly easy, this is where things get a little more complicated, but not anything you won't be able to handle.

Remove the forward mounting bolt from the top engine mount bracket, you will replace this with my assembly, to create my assembly, again from your local hardware store, you will need

1 x 5/16x4.5 carriage bolt
    2 x 5/16 threaded couplers, I believe these were 20mm in length
    1 x 5/16 nut, I used a lock nut
    2 x lock washers
    and some blue loctite

Go ahead and cut the head off the carriage bolt, and now that you have essentially a threaded rod we can go ahead and begin assembly.

This is very important, on the left side, the threaded rod will have the 5/16” lock nut, as well as 1x lock washer, leave about 1/2” or so of thread so the coupler can get a good grip, you end up with this

[​IMG]

Slip the threaded rod into the bolt hole, and on the right side, you will add the remaining lock washer, and threaded coupler !! NO LOCK NUT ON THE RIGHT SIDE !!, add some blue loctite, add the coupler to the left side and torque the whole thing down, ending up with this on the right side

[​IMG]

Now to make some brackets to mate up with the threaded inserts on the tank. I picked up some flat bar of aluminum, dremeled 2 lengths of bar (the left and right sides are slightly different length, enough that it makes it a difference) so make sure when test fitting, you mark which one is left and which one is right, or itll be a huge pain in the butt, I used my dremel to notch an 'R' and an 'L' while cutting/rounding everything off. I then coated the brackets with wrinkle paint. They attach with a 5/16x3/4 bolt (which will thread into the couplers that are on the new mount bolt assembly), washers that sandwich the bracket, and the same with the bolts that go into the tank, but those again are M6.

[​IMG]

right side bolt assembly

[​IMG]

and this is how it looks on the mount bolt assembly, just imagine there is a tank screwed in to the top of the L/R brackets.

Left bracket

[​IMG]

Right bracket

[​IMG]

Here is how the fit into the tank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, lets see how this all works

Right side bolted up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left side bolted up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now you can see the purpose of the threaded couplers much better. It doesn't look out of place at all, in my opinion.

There is also plenty of space for a wrench

[​IMG]

even a wrench and a hand (the right side is a little more tricky, but you won't be bleeding from your knuckles unless you have sausage fingers)

[​IMG]

Here are some final comparison shots of the tanks on the bike

from the side

dr350 acerbis
    [​IMG]

xr400 acerbis
    [​IMG]

from the top

dr350 acerbis
    [​IMG]

xr400 acerbis
    [​IMG]

And there you have it folks, 1.6 gallons extra. Everything else is pretty much the same, the only thing I noticed was the gas caps are different, I really liked the faux plastic carbon fiber texture of the dr350 acerbis gas cap, and wanted to put it on the xr400 tank, but alas, no go, it is too big. The petcocks are the same.

All plumbed up, and mid maiden voyage.

[​IMG]

As for feel, the xr400 tank is a little thicker between the legs, but nothing crazy, just like getting used to going from the factory tank to the dr350 specific acerbis tank, this is a similar adjustment.

and because gif's are fun:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Greg Bender likes this.
  4. mellephants

Oddometer:
    Jeff@TheQuadShop's guide

The XR250, XR400, XR600 and XR650L Acerbis tanks are all identical and can be made to work. However, I found that the XR650L tanks come with extra brackets that make this job easier than the others.

The first 650L bracket is the upper engine mount bracket, this bolts right up to the DR upper engine mount like it was made for it. What I did was take two M8 nuts with 13mm hexes and press one into each end of the bracket. I just layed the nut on the ground and tapped the bracket on top with a hammer. Here is what it looks like mounted up...

[​IMG]

Next I used two pieces of aluminum flat stock just like AleksanderTheGreat did to go from the tank to the engine mount bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the rear mount, I again used the included 650L bracket. This will tie into the origional DR tank braket. You can cut the DR bracket like AleksanderTheGreat did and tie it together with a pice of aluminum. I wanted to keep the stock bracket intact so I could swap back to the stock tank if I need to. To do this, I had to grind the two ears of the DR bracket down so they would clear the tank. Then I tied the stock DR bracket to the 650L bracket with a piece of aluminum.

[​IMG]

Now when installing the tank, I did not need to cut the rubber bumper studs off of the frame. I left the rubber plugs on and sprayed them with some WD-40. You'll just need to spread the tank with both hands a bit when pushing it down over the pucks. It's a bit stiff at first but once it's on the tank will reshape it self a little so the next time you take it on and off it will go easy. To make this easier, you could heat the under side of the tank with a heat gun a bit making it easier to spread apart a little.

[​IMG]

If fits like it was made for the bike, it seems like the front of the seat meets with the tank better than the DR speciffic Acerbis tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this tank, I have a 350 mile range. :clap
    Alaska1WD, Greg Bender and porterrad like this.
  5. ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AWESOME write up dude! thanks for the time and the pics. I was trying to figure out if I should got with the honda tank or the 1st gen dr650 tank from acerbis and I think you convinced me...

BTW that is a killer tool tube you got there on the second DR. did you make that yourself?
  6. mellephants

Oddometer:
    You may want to PM Jeff@thequadshop about that
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Here you go http://www.ruralking.com/manual-canister.html
  8. ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity... did the xr650l tank come with petcocks?
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Yes
  11. mellephants

Oddometer:
    And brackets and hose

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  12. ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess there's no reason NOT to drop an extra 209 to order the tank when I place my order for new tires and new front rotor. :D
    mellephants likes this.
  13. ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got mine installed. this thread helped A LOT!!! Thanks guys IMG_20160124_134831173.jpg
    insomnia and mellephants like this.
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Looks great!
  15. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys have me thinking about the Acerbis DR tank on an XRL.
    JCool likes this.
  16. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Excuse the hijack,

mellephants, I just found this thread and discovered Fisher seats, thanks to your pic. I want to to order one for my 1997 DR350 dirt model, so I can have a wider, more comfortable seat. Do you have any advice before I order? My stock black/yellow cover is in great shape and I was thinking of having them reuse it.

Thanks,

Fred Z.

Hillsboro, IL
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That's my seat. The seat will be custom made for your size and riding position. I have really long legs so I had mine made 1" taller in the rear and 2" taller in the front. It's made a huge difference in comfort for me.
    mellephants likes this.
  18. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
  19. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried this with a dirt model? There are no frame mounted pucks, so it should be very straight forward, methinks.

Fun Wheel Drive
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    The rear mount is a little different but shouldn't be difficult to fab something up. The pucks are actually a good thing, they hold the tank nice and firm.