Mounting Plate Template for a CE 605 Regulator for 2015 F800 GS(A)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ADVwxyz, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and thanks to all that have contributed other stuff where I learned... this is my give back!

Regarding wiring...

I cut the CE605 leads to the same length as the OEM leads.
    I cut off the OEM connectors.

The CE605 has heavy gauge Ground and +ve wires. The OEM connector had two smaller ground and two smaller +ve leads (for a total of four wires on the plug...)
    Like elsewhere in the Forum, I soldered the two from the plug... onto the single of the CE605.

NOTE!!!: you need a hell of a soldering gun... I ended up using a soldering torch. The heat conductivity of the wires was so much that a normal hardware store 750 degree soldering iron did not do anything. It was pathetic.

The three wires from the second plug, that connected to the three wires of the CE605- Roadstercycles provided the crimp connections with shrink around them. So I used those which made that real easy.

Due to the size of the Ground and +ve wires exiting the CE605, you need to route them intelligently around the brake lines exiting the Pressure Modulator. I ended up using the same Ziptie points (2) as the OEM install. This makes sense since I used the same length of wiring. I checked final clearances and it remained clear all round, though real tight.

On test... it was showing 14.4 with only headlight... and with all aux OEM lights, highbeam, and heated grips... went to 14.1 / 14.2.
  2. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    I know that the thread is a few months old, but your pictures don't show :(

I'm looking into switching to the CycleElectric model CE-605... preserve what's left on the OEM stator and get me ahead of the game when I need to replace it!
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    not sure where you were planning to get the CE-605, but Jack at Roadster Cycles (which is where I bought mine) no longer sells it....
    Jack does have an alternate unit that should work ok, but of course it's a different size.
    if you find an alternate source let us know.

I have some notes on how I made my "adapter plate" in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890729

IIRC ... (I didn't save the pictures either :() I think the one that GoPlaces came up with was a more clever design than mine.
  4. tofire409

Oddometer:
    That's unfortunate to hear...

I may try to read out to him to see what options he knows of.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    He does have a replacement offerings - (both are SERIES style) : SH775 and SH847 .

Size-wise SH775 is the ticket
  6. tofire409

Oddometer:
    He emailed me and the CE-605's are in stock...I'd gladly save a bit of money if there is not real difference between the two.

Thanks for the heads-up!!
  7. tofire409

Oddometer:
    So I just did the switch to a SH775...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting 14.20 volts at idle. The unit does get a bit warm/hot, but nothing is melting yet :D

We'll see how long the stator lasts...
    ADVwxyz and Nickhob like this.
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    tofire.. your f8 has the old "face out" rectifier arrangement and not the new face front/down arrangement correct ? the SH775 amd 847 are massive.
    JRWooden likes this.
  9. tofire409

Oddometer:
    Correct...mine is a 2011. I didn't realize that BMW changed the configuration.

I never took a picture of the two so I can't show the comparison, I still have the OEM in my shed if you're interested in comparing the two.
    dpike likes this.
  10. dpike

Oddometer:
    no reason to take a picture, the ones you have here are perfect, thanks :thumb. top notch job on the bracket which i'll replicate exactly too. the two clear through drilled holes are to ziptie the O2 sensor connector to the back of the plate, correct ? i'll pick up the SH847 since that's what Jack is now recommending and i know it will fit.

since there's under 10k miles on my bike so far i think this should pretty much take care of it without preemptively replacing the stator as well.
  11. tofire409

Oddometer:
    Yes the holes are for zip tying the wire harness and things out of the way.
  12. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acquired a 775BA for good money and added one of those Triumph repair looms. Depinned the OE connectors and soldered them onto the repair loom. Stable 14.2v, much less heat in the RR. A good job.
  13. dpike

Oddometer:
    funny.. after my last post here my stator took a shit, replaced that and the flywheel but left the RR. as a winter project i'm looking at swapping the RR.

@tofire409 that SH775 still going strong any problems with it cutting out ?
  14. tofire409

Oddometer:
    Still good. Not that I can give it credit but my battery has lasted 7 years! Still getting 14.2 volts at idle.
  15. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dpike - did u ever swapped your r/r with s SH847 and did it fit? Or anyone else for that fact?

I read here that it will not fit. Jack doesn’t stock SH775 anymore. But then Jack at Roadcycle says GS folks are buying and installing SH845. Though despite me looking hard through advrider forum threads, I don’t see any feedback that positively confirms it.
    :becca

I’m replacing my stator in next week or so and was curious on the regulator since I want to do it all in one go. I have 2009 gs with 32k miles and stator is already cooked... R/R is the old style face with its ribs out to the side...
  16. dpike

Oddometer:
    i used a 775. mounting of the 847 was a bigger hassle than i felt like dealing with, i purchased both and sold the 847 here a bit ago.

[​IMG]
    BBohemian likes this.
  17. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response, dpike! Would u (or anyone else) have a dimension/template for the bracket u used? I’m assuming the 775 is thicker than OEM? If so, did u push the bracket wee deeper to compensate for it?

This past weekend, I made a 1:1 cardboard mock-up of the 847 and I could not find a clean way to place it on my bike. It would have to be mounted angled leaving it somewhat protruding to the outside - chancing a high probability of damage if the bike took a nap. Chance I don’t want to take... so I’ll be going with the 775 as well.

39E96E5B-5BB6-4856-BA7A-40FC53473AF7.jpeg

I was contemplating the Computer-Fire 55402 regulator because of its smaller size, but at the end decided against it - in part after conversing with Jack at Roadstercycle.

Seems besides going OEM, there are only 2 upgrade choices for F8 as of now (SH775 and Compu-Fire 55402). What a pity...
  18. dpike

Oddometer:
    yeah, that 847 is a monster. i made a bracket pretty much like tofires.
    [​IMG]

once you start working with the aluminum plate it pretty much falls into place, cut a little, file a little...

as a side note, i'm redoing my bracket this winter... i didn't heat the bend for the frame mount and it cracked a little when i bent it, it's also a little thinner than i'd like since it was just a scrap laying around. it's lasted so far but... that over thinking shit falls in here.
  19. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I’ll see how mine goes and possibly post template after the install. If it is successful and pretty. :imaposer

So u used aluminum for the bracket instead of steel?
  20. tofire409

Oddometer:
    Yes, heated it with a regular plumbers torch to get the bend and not break it. I reused some of the OEM clips to secure the RR.