Mousses and big bike???

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Pyndon, Sep 21, 2008.

1. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    I keepo threatening to try this in my dirt bikes:
    ...much less the Adventure, but I think you'd have to hve dirt bike width rims to use it for sure. That, and tubless tires are constructed to support weight/deflect differently under load, point load(sharp corners, rocks, etc) and general cyclic deflection inder all riding conditions. I think on a lightweight dirt bike, it's probably not an issue but on an Adventure you might run into strange phenomenons similar to when you run the pressure too low in a tube, like ply delaminations and knob-base radius fatigue, etc. I don't know for sure but it would be unlikely that simply raising pressures woudl compensate...

For racing, I presently prefer/use(and swear by...) TireBalls.
  2. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nuetech = Dirt bike-sized rims only, for sure. Not only that, but customers have been patiently waiting for the kit to fit 18 inch rims. Presently they only offer 19s. THe 21 inch fronts have also yet to be produced on a consumer scale, although there are some out there.

I am starting to wonder about Nuetech. It's been delay after delay after delay. Besides, I don't think our monster mesquite thorns out here in West Texas would have ANY problem reaching that pretty red inner tube.
  3. CrazyTed

CrazyTed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We actually have guys racing with the Nuetech in 18 inch. If you get anything to poke into the tire you have a flat. Also, one guy is complaining that the Nuetech tire squirms around too much when racing offroad.
  4. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pyn,

Although I havn't used them myself, those that I ride with recommend them constantly. One reason that really struck me as obvious once it was explained is the "air displacement" effect. When you hit a rock or other obstacle with a regular tube in place the air where the impact occurrs is displaced around the tire. Because we all want to have straighter rims, we usually increase our tire pressure to keep the impact from hitting the rim (and to keep from pinching a tube) while sacrificing contact patch and traction. I run 18 psi when off-road racing on my 250F (front and rear). With tire (tyre) balls, on the other hand, the air doesn't have the opportunity to displace around the tire because it's constrained to stay in place by the ball that it's in. Therefore, you can get equivalent rim protection with a lower pressure. Best of both worlds!

Tom
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:

Very well said YB!!!
  6. DigiMan

DigiMan Swedish SOE Rider

Oddometer:
    I use Bridgestone mousse foam tubes in my SE's & EXC, they have worked awesome for me.
    Go ahead and try them, be sure to mount them with correct amount of mounting lubricant.
    When I have used tubes and compared with 15 PSI pressure in the front , the mousse setup feels less "twitcy"
  7. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Old thread but s well ubed heavy duty tube run at low pressures my choice, replace completely if punctured
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll chip in to this ancient thread to say I've been running Michelin desert mousses in my 950 for several years, for off road racing only, with great success. They do go soft after a while but as someone above said, you can stick in some extra bits cut from an old mousse to pad it out.
  9. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

How long does each mouse last
  10. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing because I don't keep track of it precisely, but I'd say about 10 days use, at maybe 150 miles per day.

This works out as a new set of mousses about once per year, as I only use them for actual racing, not normal off road riding.
  11. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am wondering how the front keeps up. Because there are no "Desert" fronts only M16's, did your rims survive well?

Have used a M02 in the rear successfully in Albania so that is oke.
  12. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Yeah sorry I meant an M16 in the front. I've got excel rims which seem to be surviving ok :)
  13. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use an M16 in the front. It gets soft pretty quick, but seems like it loses its initial firmess and then stabilizes pretty well as long as you keep it lubed up. I put maybe 1000 miles on one and it's way too soft for the big bike now, but didn't have time to pull it out and stuff or replace it. I did get a few small dings in my front Excel in the rocks.