Mousses in combination with tubeless rims/tyres setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SPIETFRIEK, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:40 AM.

1. SPIETFRIEK

SPIETFRIEK n00b

Oddometer:
    My brainfart :

What if I manage to seal my stock rims with Outex, 3M tape or whatever solution.

And then put a mousse inside?

Run on mousse only during off road and inflate when doing longer stretches on road.

Will the mousse inside last longer this way?

Stock 701 rims do not have safety bead but not needed when installing a mousse imo.

Wouldn’t this be a good solution for travelling purposes?

Please don’t start to mention other solutions like Tubliss, etc...
    I’m only interested in one’s opinion if it would be worth trying.
    Or anyone here who did this before...
  2. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eh - the added air will certainly take a bit of stress from the mousse, but it will still be "kneaded" thoroughly when riding, especially faster - which I think will be your thinking behind the idea.

Guess the only way to find out will be with a test? Run mousses, see how long they last, afterwards try again with sealed rims + air...?
    I don't believe it will extend the live of mousses greatly though, seeing as how much space a mousse takes up inside the tire/rim (almost all of it..).
  3. SPIETFRIEK

SPIETFRIEK n00b

Oddometer:
    My theory behind this is that when you put the tire on much higher pressure (ideal for on the street) the tire will be pressed less during each revolution and therefore also produce less heat in the mousses.

The question is of course whether the mousses will not get too loose, which will just cause more friction.
  4. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally get your idea and 100% there with you with the theorycrafting - I think it will need to come down to actually testing it though.

I'm in the same boat - so many different solutions to get "air into the tire" and so many pro/con. I'll ride the illyria raid next year, 2000km in 7 days, then I'll need to ride back to the start point to get to my car again. I think I'll just stick with tubes there.. :scratch
  5. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I've had the same-ish thought and am going to try it ..... but with mountain bike tubless conversion valve stems and sealant
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    pressuring the mouse will probably ruin it...

but unless you run 50psi, the tire will still deform and heat up the mouse

why not run tubes and just air up/down ?

13psi dirt and 19 street has worked well for me for a long time