move along..nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by raindog, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Very cool ride. Avenue of the Giants is just flat :tb.
    Been there a couple of times. Most recently my wife and I did a car trip from L.A. along the coast as much as the roads allowed, all the way up to and all over AOG. This time I included some hikes to some of the more out of the way things to see there. The place is just unbelievable. A must see.

Love Komet's pic... :thumb
  2. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Jeebus, he's gots all kinds of street cred...
    [​IMG]

..Don't taze me, bro Dylan! :D
  3. Short-Johnson

Short-Johnson You wanna make God laugh ? tell him your plans !

Oddometer:
    Tillamook here have a good time be safe I will follow yer ride !!
  4. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Busy couple of days! it's hard to do this while you are actually on your trip:lol3

catching up..

woke up early in Garberville and decided to i would start making this the "counter intuitive" trip. I would try and not fall into my normal patterns of behavior and action. So instead of hitting the road at 6:00am I actually lounged around the hotel for awhile relaxed and had my breakfast of champions.
    [​IMG]
    don't worry..I will counteract all the healthy qualities of this breakfast at Lunch time.
    due to some time retraints my ride down to S.F. will be just on 101 and hopefully i will have some time on the way back for some more scenic and fun roads along the coast etc.

I stopped in Wilits where the native nor cal crunchy hippy (hereafter freferred to as the NNCCH) can be observed in it's natural habitat. I wasn't very hungry but I always stop here for food because those NNCCHs make yummy food that is good for you:D
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately the NNCCH work ethic in regards to hours of operation are somewhat flexible and although convenient for the NNCCH somewhat problematic for the somewhat hungry and very hot traveller in need of refreshment. sign said open daily a half hour earlier than when I arrived but alas they were Cerrado (closed en sap):cry
  5. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Onward toward S.F.

The next stop was what i call a "gas tank discovery" The need to fill up puts you into a osition where you have to stop and you end up discovering something you would not have seen otherwise.

for me it was lunch
    [​IMG]
    I haven't had red meat in at least 6 months..but I could not help myself when i pulled over in the really pretty town of Cloverdale and saw this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How cool is that little joint..I just could not pass it up and had the Bacon cheese burger and a chocolate shake:D Super nice people in a great setting. if you are heading this way it is definitely worth a stop. I got lucky because when I drove by on my way to get gas there were about 30 people there waiting to eat..miraculously when i rode back they were mostly all gone:clap
    Cloverdale is a great looking little town with a very cool little public art project going which always wins my vote. also in September Eric Lindell is playing a summer concert there..and he is amazing ..so if you live within riding distance..I would recommend attending.:1drink

The 101 is still a pretty ride through here until you hit petaluma/penngrove and find your self face to face with this....
    [​IMG]
    My good friend Nixels and i did our best coffe klatch catching each other up on the unfolding dramas of our lives and a few other peoples' lives as well:lol3 like sands through the hourglass:lol3
    The Air conditionaing felt good for this mossy backed PNW dweller..it's been 10 years since I left California and I do believe my inner thermostat is irrecoverably changed and it was freakin hot in the highlighter stich express.

Good friend and inmate Ian408 had volunteered his casa as a waypoint for me and he was about 45 minutes south of the city in Santa Clara and if I was going to get there in time and take care of some other busines i had to get going.
  6. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    My next stop was the bunker area loo out above the Golden Gate bridge. For some reason i had never been there in all the times I have been in the city.

I actually learned about it in Komets thread and bascically I had something I wanted to do to honor my friend komet (Joe)
    if you want to read it
    it's here
    for Joe & I

It was beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    I also have some video of the bridge crossing.but the videos may have to wait till i get home and more time to load em and edit em.

For all the years I've come to the City I have never lost the feeling of excitement I get coming around the curves on the aproach to the bridge. It's like taking off the plastic on a new cd of your favorite band..you just know the next chour or so of your life is going to rock. and to be able to do it on a bike is like installing a sun roof on your life.
    The wind was just ripping through there that day and i was crunching down on the tiger and trying to saty in my lane..I make a pretty good sail.
  7. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying your trip. The picture of the GG bridge is excellent.
    Hope everything comes together for you.
  8. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pop
    here's another
    [​IMG]
  9. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    well after hitting the overlook it was time to make tracks to Ian408's to see some inmates and the new puppy. Ian is like the quite man..he doesn't ost a lot of non sense, he's been here for a long time, he is always one of the first people to offer help when something goes sideways around here but he never does it publicly, he rides a ton and he's one of those people that will make you laugh yuor ass off. they could use his picture in the dictionary for "good guy" or "idiot"..I haven't decided
    [​IMG]

and of course Riley..who totally rocks. I'm a huge Dog lover and lost my own dog last year. It was good to have some time with Riley.
    [​IMG]

Twistysister playing with pup
    [​IMG]
    most people don't realize that Steve Earle is in the witnes protection program..but he is and he posts here under the name Mike54..Mike has more cool in 5 of his gray beard hairs than most people have in their whole body
    [​IMG]
    I was having such a nice time hanging with the norcal peeps I didn't get many pics..but we had a wonderful meal!! for the life of me I can't remember the beautiful lady that will be referred to as "gillafunks" caregiver:lol3 but she cooked all the food and made a homemade apple pie:D Correction..That is the Lovely "Autumn"
    [​IMG]

In this photo she is telling Ian what a dick he is for inviting her to a BBQ and then making her cook everyone's food:lol3
    [​IMG]
    The lovely Twisty
    [​IMG]
    a blurry scot with anger. The wee scot brings the funny in a big way! he also put this thing together when I called him crying saying I was coming to town and would he throw me a coming in party.
    [​IMG]

so I got no photos of loud and crude Nixels:lol3
    The lovely and very New Yawk..NotBetty
    The Gimp "GillaFunk"

But I want to thank everybody..cuz it was really nice to hang out and laugh. The Nor Cal crew is incredibly cool and I fel lucky to call many of them friends.
  10. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Sunday I spent the day in a very special place with some amazing people.
    [​IMG]
  11. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Gilla's GF's name is Autumn. Like in Autumn Leaves. :thumb

<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPHtQn1t1n4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  12. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    AAhaahhh! That was driving me crazy. Thanks mang and thanks for the suggestions:D
  13. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Crude!

LOUD???!!! :flip

I don't know what you're talkin' about. :ddog

:flip

:lol3

I'll post pix tomorrow when my new-to-me computer is up. This one's too old to load pix onto Smugmug. :cry

It was great to see you - and catch up. I hope your meetings went well today - and that you'll do well tomorrow. :nod Got them prayers workin' in rotation for ya.

Don't stop by here if yer gonna say mean things about Nasty Nixels. :2cry

Aw, shit. Stop by anyway. Maybe I'll ride with you on your way back if you've got the time. :deal
  14. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Excellent. Wife and I rode from Orange County to Monterey earlier this year. Highway 1 is a spectacular riding road. Ride safe and good luck in LA.

Rancho
  15. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed

Oddometer:
    Nice.
    You're making me miss riding right now.
    Liked the redwood shots for more reasons than the obvious. The ggb is truly an awesome sight always. Part of the reason I can't ever resist a shot crossing over.
    I hope you have a fruitful trip.

:)
  16. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    hey you! I'm not sure of my route back yet but If i come back through the city I'll find ya.
  17. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Raindog,
    Great report and it was great to meet you. Had a good lunch at one of the best places I've eatten on the Oregon coast. :D
    Ride Safe,
    Keep it coming.
    Rick

Barnacle Bistro.. a great restaurant owned by our very own Sector. She wasn't there but Lunch was great and i met the staff and a guy from BC who is a vendor Kildala2000 :D :D
  18. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    :clap I was hoping you would post up..I knew i was getting the screen name wrong:lol3
    It was nice meeting ya!
  19. Easy-Z

Easy-Z Me wanna be

Oddometer:
    I"m all goosebumpy. :cry
  20. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I may be short but I am fast! Blurry is good :hide
    was a treat to hang out with you and the rest of the crew.
    Safe travels homeward and you know you have a crash pad if you don't want your bike peed on again by that bad puppy :poser

looking forward to more pics of the travels and some video on your return!

:lurk