1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving south!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Madeinitaly, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates,
    I had a similar post in the NZ forum but it looks we're moving to AUS instead of NZ in december (if travel is allowed)

Mostly I was wondering if you guys think it would be best to bring my beast along (I am referring to my 2016 GS ADV not my 4 years old son which I found out is mandatory), or should I sell it here and buy new or almost new down under. My riding would be mostly commuting and occasional weekend rides (solo as the missus doesn't like riding :-( )

Other questions are related to where do you guys recommend to move to. AUS is a huge place and the recruiters all seem to say the place they are recruiting for are the best and everything else sucks... So far the options are Sydney, Townsville, Bunsbury. The idea is to move to a tropical area with nice weather, nice beaches, affordable housing where to potentially buy a couple of acres out of town to have house and horseys, and close enough to the shore to have a boat. Also salary wise we are talking 145K in Sydney and 115 in townsville for fulltime veterinarian work. Are those good salaries for those areas?

I welcome all opinions and recomendations !

Looking forward to meet some of you guys when we get there!
  2. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No expert but I reckon $115K will go a lot further in Townsville than $145K in Sydney.
    Briggsy_1, gateman, Precis and 4 others like this.
  3. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just cross Sydney off your list.
    gateman, AUSSIEADV, Precis and 3 others like this.
  4. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    I meant each. Would it make a difference? or still ridicolously expensive?
  5. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    Whilst nice for a holiday trip, usually tropical living means bigger mosquitoes, more snakes, jelly fish, crocs, cane toads, spiders, red fever, water shortage, bush fires, need for your own swimming pool, high energy costs ....

Have you considered Tassie, the place that's not going to run out of water anytime soon? :lol3 bring a warm coat :photog

(houses are cheaper too)
  6. simmy

simmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think there’s much chance of being able to move here in December. The border is completely shut to everyone except returning Australian citizens. And it’s near impossible for Australians to get back as it is. I’ve got family who have been stuck in Portugal since March. Twice they’ve managed to book flights at a cost of around $6k each and they’ve had their seats cancelled at the last minute. They are booked for a third try in November.

Some of us can’t even travel within Australia! I’m holding out hope I’ll be able to travel from Melbourne to Brisbane to spend Christmas with family. But it’s not likely at this stage.

Hard to say when the border will reopen. I’d be guessing it may not be until well into next year. Gives you plenty of time to plan your big move. Can’t help with Sydney vs Townsville, I’ve lived in Melbourne all my life. We have the best riding down here but it is far from tropical so probably not on your list!
    Precis likes this.
  7. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Yes, but we don't have any offers to work there, and it's a bit cold for us. I am from Sicily, wife is Hawai'ian so we like more warmth.
    We had jobs in NZ lined up but we declined because of the cold weather.
    That said once we're there and wife gets her residency (we both are essential and critical shortage skill workers) moving around would be easier.
    Precis likes this.
  8. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what we're wondering too. The recruiters said that since we're essential and critical shortage workers we could get an exemption. I am not giving my nothice though unbtil I have tickets in hand.
    Precis likes this.
  9. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    You would be a lot better off in Townsville.. from a money and lifestyle perspective. (Sydney is great to visit though!)

However, be aware that Townsville (and parts of Sydney) do have crime issues.

Queensland has a state election coming up in a few weeks and crime rates in Townsville are a hot topic.

Having said all of that.. if you are outside of town on a couple of acres.. .you should be OK. (Plus closer to ADV rides)
    Wodger63 likes this.
  10. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you meant, my point is the cost of living is cheaper in Townsville.
    So although you might be on a lower salary in Townsville, the money would go further comparatively.
    Real estate be it renting or buying is very expensive in Sydney, food is expensive, fresh fruit and veg is no comparison to whats available in FNQ.
    Precis likes this.
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah MT, why would ya move to Tas, roads are dead straight and boring, fishing sucks, miles from the water, no decent off-roading, and the beaches are crowded. ;)

For what you are describing @Madeinitaly you are going to need 6 zeroes, anywhere on the coast. 7 zeroes anywhere around Sydney or Melbourne. Even places around me that are large enough for horses are in the millions. Aus house prices suck. Hope you aren’t being impacted by the fires over there!
    prestonpaul likes this.
  12. simmy

simmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I were you I’d be looking around the Sunshine Coast, northern NSW or Brisbane (if you wanted to be in a big city). Not as affordable as Townsville but cheaper than Sydney. Townsville is the full blown tropics, some may like it, I couldn’t handle the humidity.
    Lep, a2zworks and Big Willy like this.
  13. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The big shock Americans have when they come to sydney is seeing what real estate costs, it's insane partly due to too many treating it as a speculative purchase. Sydney and environs is really overpopulated and transport infrastructure struggling to keep up. Townsville and environs would be a whole lot cheaper, but may take some time to adapt to the heat, it is hot. Out of interest have you considered any other locations in australia?:jkam
    Precis likes this.
  14. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    He is from Siciliy, crime is not a new concept for him.
    zedexniner, AG200man and Precis like this.
  15. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Leave your bikes behind.

If you can, hire a campervan on the Gold Coast and work your way up North to see what you think.

You possibly wont go further than the Sunshine Coast Hinterland imo

Plenty of horse lovers around Imbil, Kenilworth, Maleny and you're never far from the coast as well.

Can be hot in summer but that's why everyone has a pool.

Winters are to die for :-)
    0405canvet, Paul124ac and Ron50 like this.
  16. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    ... we're not worried about spending Madeinitaly's mighty US$ here, hehe :D

Btw Nino :wink:, if you haven't yet had the pleasure of watching the fantastic 50's movie 'They're a weird Mob' , don't delay!!! It's an education!! :imaposer here's a teaser ...

17. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we looked at prices of apartments there and little holes are in the millions....
    Wodger63 likes this.
  18. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we have job offers in Collie near Bunbury WA and Shepparton Victoria. But we don't want to be in super small towns. That said, we figure the big hurdle for us is getting there. When there jobs for experienced veterinarians are plenty so when the wife gets her permanent res we could move wherever. We're lucky because we're both vets and I also have commercial pilot licences and a master in software enginering, and half a PhD in robotics and AI so plenty of opportunities. And I am retired military so the recurring monthly check doesn't hurt either... ;-)
    BergDonk likes this.
  19. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Oh, don't worry, my wife has the spending of the mighty US$ well covered!!
    bigborett and Precis like this.
  20. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    BTW, anyone moved there from the US and could recommend a mover?