1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving south!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Madeinitaly, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why would I leave the bike behind? We were looking at a job in Caloundra but they couldn't fit 2 veterinarians...
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The juvenile crime rate is higher than other places in Qld, but is not as bad as it is being made out to be for political purposes with the upcoming state election and the retirement of the sitting Labor member due to health concerns.
    Glen Doyle is a retired QPS Inspector and just happens to be running for the LNP in Mundingburra and his one and only focus just happens to be law and order in Townsville.
    I wouldn't have any concerns of living in the Townsville area more than any other areas, just need to pick out suitable places to live, and then make a visit to the local police station and ask them about areas where you are looking at.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  3. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of the locations mentioned by the OP so far, i'd be thinking Townsville and environs the pick.:bubba
    Happy Snapper and Cruz like this.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    If you are looking to relocate here for a few years or longer then I would bring the bike with you.
  5. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, go to come at least as far as Hervey Bay. :-)
    Big Willy likes this.
  6. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    There's a raft of, frankly, stupid reasons why the local authorities (our bureaucrats are very nearly as stupid as yours) will make it as hard as possible to register your bike here: your speedo's in MPH, your headlight dips the wrong way... These are bolt-on replacement parts and easily fixed and if you've owned the bike more than 12 months, in theory it should be straight-forward, but there are these uniquely Australian things called ADRs - Australian Design Rules - most of which are BS in reality, but you know what a bureaucrat does best... protect his own job.
    That said, you know your bike and you already own it; if you look at what it's worth to sell it there against what you paid for it (a bit of a loss), versus buying a similar one here, and factor in the not-inconsiderable cost of bringing it here, plus the various import duties, inspection fees and registration charges - you might opt to sell it there. Plus, once you get here, you may well find that with our ridiculously over-policed and stupidly low speed limits, and once you're settled, the kind of riding you like doing - the GSA isn't the ideal bike, especially if Mrs Made-in-Hawaii doesn't like pillion.
    We immigrated 25 years ago and bought several bikes with us: only one has ever successfully been registered here - and that was by a dealer who sold it. Rules have tightened considerably since then: for example, can you prove that there is no asbestos in your clutch or brake pads? No? The test costs $300. Per pair of pads... like I sad, madness.
    Big Willy and a2zworks like this.
  7. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Bunbury, while not the greatest of places, is in the best state, so once your permanent residency comes through you have the whole state to move around in.
    Western Australia is roughly one third the area of the whole country and yet has only 2.5 million people.
    So, plenty of space, lots of fantastic coastline, lots of great outback areas to ride, plenty of good coastal towns to live.
    Personally I wouldn’t look to live further north than Geraldton, approximately 400 kms north of the capital Perth as it gets too bloody hot.
    That still leaves you lots of choices.
  8. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Further to my post.
    Bunbury has nice beaches, a nice port area with lots of trendy coffee shops around the port. Also a number of bike shops.
    It just has a reputation as a bit of a bogan area (rough translation: redneck ?)
    But it is close to the famed surf coast of Margaret River, with local coastal towns of Dunsborough, Augusta.
    Further south, along the coast are Denmark, Walpole, Albany.
    I am looking to move south down that way myself in the next few years, once my German girl is allowed into the country, we plan on getting out of Perth.
  9. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3
  10. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    You are correct, I wouldn't bother bringing anything, maybe riding gear and the clothes on my back plus a few more changes for maybe a week until I get a place, the rest just sell and left overs give them away, very special sentimental keep in storage until settled and after a year of living here they'll know it they want to stay then can organise to bring those special things, but the bike like you said not worth it and would not do it.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  11. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    Oh something else, if you move to WA make sure you have an OEM muffler on your bike, a certain inmate will shame you and chase you out of the state :D
  12. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only as far as he can balance his latte without spilling it.
    [​IMG]
    prestonpaul, a2zworks and Big Willy like this.
  13. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    Brisbane & Sunshine coast. Don't even consider Shepparton.
    0405canvet likes this.
  14. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I reckon if you don't want cold and don't want heat and high humidity and the occasional cyclone then focus between Yamba in NSW and Noosa in QLD.
    Who knows between now and christmas vet jobs might be available.
  15. simmy

simmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AG200man likes this.
  16. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    If you need it (Shepparton) to get residency then I guess there are worse places in Australia...I'd say...but it gets cold, and it sucks!
    Paul124ac likes this.
  17. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Access to some of the best riding in the country, 2 hours down the road is some great boating and heaps of marinas, and 100 acres and a house with sheds in Waaia is about the same as a deposit in Sydney. Lots of cow cockies to make money from. You could probably buy a plane and commute out of Benalla to Sydney, plus buy a massive house with hundreds of acres and a 40ft Riviera to keep at Sandringham for about the same as a 3 bedroom house in inner city Sydney.
    Madeinitaly and Dr AT like this.
  18. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP: Option A, B or C?
    People on Forums: D!!!! or E!!!!

Sigh.

More importantly, what tyres are you planning on running when you get here? The ones I use are the best btw.....

Of the 3, Id pick Bunbury.
    Why?
    Sydney is nice for a weekend, but otherwise I dont like the place. Congestion/traffic and the general crap that goes with a large city. Until you get way out of town, much of the forest is inaccessible or heavily used.
    Townsville? Looks nice, you may not like the humidity, and the crime. (A good mate lived there, and I know a cop who was posted there, both gave countless stories of social issues etc)
    Bunbury? WA is nice. That SW corner has some great beaches, wineries, weather, and good ride terrain. Long way from the east coast, but I wouldnt see that as an issue.
    Madeinitaly and Precis like this.
  19. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sydney will be the most expensive by far. If you're a vet, then there's probably opportunities on the outer fringes of Sydney for affordable housing and work, but you won't be near a beach or water for the prices you can afford if you want acreage.

Slightly out of Sydney (North or South. Think Gosford/Central Coast/Newcastle or south towards Wollongong), you could afford something decent with better beaches and proximity to water.

If I were you, and it sounds like you're keen on beaches and water, I'd be aiming for a smaller regional centre (eg: in NSW - look at Newcastle, Coffs Harbour. Or NSW south coast - Nowra, Ulladulla, Narooma, Bermagui etc).

For more warmth (and humidity), head further North. Avoid Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron.

Good suggestion to get here, hire a camper for a few months and travel the entire East coast. Stop somewhere you like.

Bunbury is west coast (WA). Pretty nice all up and down the WA coast. Less humidity and dryer than East coast, but much more remote from the majority of Oz population. Depends on what you want.
    Madeinitaly likes this.
  20. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh - if you want to investigate house prices (buy and rent) - try something like realestate.com.au For sale prices often aren't advertised these days (god knows why), but if you look for sold properties, you'll get an idea.