Moving south!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Madeinitaly, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Geez, as Richo alluded to, didn’t you guys read his original post ?

He has job offers in THREE places only and asked about those THREE places !
    Not everywhere in between.

For those that didn’t bother to read his post fully.
    TheTHREE options were;

SYDNEY
    TOWNSVILLE
    BUNBURY.

I hope I have been clear enough.
    vagueout and Cruz like this.
  2. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    clear - but not correct.

Boxa likes this.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone needs a Bex and a little nap... Or a pink lamination and a pull....

:hide

I wouldn’t ever consider asking on a International ‘forum’ for career advice, sheesh!
  4. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    “So far the options are”

“are they good salaries for those areas”

It seemed pretty clear to me.
    In a country of this size, throwing a multitude of other options at the poor guy are only going to mess with his head
    braaap! likes this.
  5. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing that up Col Klink, aren't you a welcoming bundle of joy ...
    richo360, Big Willy and braaap! like this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But isn’t that how we play? Taking the piss and fcuking with thick heads?
    richo360 and wilsongj like this.
  7. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you do these training video's before you pop down.

8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Having followed (and contributed to) the NZ version of this thread it’s interesting to see this pop up here. Summary of advice in NZ was much the same, don’t bring your bike, don’t go to Auckland etc etc.

To Alberto and family...

Just my opinion but I think the best advice given so far is to try before you buy. Take any job, anywhere, rent somewhere to live and see whether you actually like it in Oz (or NZ for that matter). It is very very different to living in the USA or anywhere else you were posted when you were in the military. Leave most of your gear in storage. Don’t burn any bridges. However rosy it seems to you now, most of us will know people who have come and found they hated it for whatever reason and cannot go back quickly enough. Or you might like it and your wife hates it. Same end result. If you’re looking for something just like Sicily or Hawaii, why not just go there?

If you’re not prepared to take that leap of faith/gamble on a new country and relish the adventure of it, then I’m not sure this is the right move for you.

Good luck whatever you do.
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    He left it open when he said "I welcome all opinions and recomendations !"
    AG200man, Wodger63 and Madeinitaly like this.
  10. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't go to Sydney.

Because property prices.
  11. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Any demand for locum vets . . A chance to see a wider range of locations and hopefully with accommodation supplied or subsidised ?
  12. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Having friends who are vets & they tell me that experienced locums are hard to find!
  13. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Just easier not to have the hassle. You'll get another here when you're ready.
    Good luck with everything
    Madeinitaly and a2zworks like this.
  14. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Veterinarians seem to be in high demands there!
  15. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    LOL,
    i thought it was obvious it was about those 3. Actualy now can make it 4 though. They offered us a job on Shepparton...
  16. Madeinitaly

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input. The reason why i asked here is because we are planning ahead and there are visa considerations.
    To address why not sicily or hawaii, in the former we couldn't work as vets and my wife doesn't speak the language, and the other is way too small and expensive. The expensive can be overcome with higher salaries but i can't make hawai'i any bigger. Also there is a toxic (IMHO) attitude toward working and fins Aouteroa and Australia way more relaxed.
    NOw anout NZ va AUS; one of the reason why we switched is the concern about colder and rainy weather. The other main reason is if we move to NZ I can get (eventually) a resident visa there. On the other hand right now I can't get a resident visa in AUS because i am over the limit. So if we go to NZ first and decide we don't like it then the only other option is work visas to AUS (because at that point the wife could be over the age as well) or back to the us. If we go to AUS first, the wife can get the resident visa in 2 years and still be eligible to get the resident visa in NZ (age limit is 55) if we decide AUS is not our cup of tea. So basically we are trying to maximize our options and not burning any bridges.
    I totally agree with you on renting first and see how it goes. The plan is to spend 1-2 years in a place and see if we like it. If we do we can put roots down, if not jobs are aplenty for us (luckily) and we'd move.
    So the reason to ask about towns mostly was for lifestye and remuneration reasons. Not having been there it's hard to gauge if a salary is adequate. Also there are concerns about crime, schools, etc.
    For what concerns the bike, many NZ inmates mentioned that because of speed and size of country with lot's of offroad a lighter smaller bike was probably better. I thought I'd ask the same question here since OZ is much bigger than NZ.
  17. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’d be a hard decision wether or not to bring the GS, excellent bike and it’s yours so you know it backwards, I don’t know what the secondhand market is like over there- here at the moment it’s red hot for small bikes and heating up with the big boys as local new supply runs out. I will say open the shed door of most blokes and you’ll see 3 bikes, a big tourer, a 450 enduro or similar, and a DR. Way too many varied conditions to just have One Ring To Rule Them All. If you accept Shepparton and don’t have a dirty squirty 450 you’ll miss out on what is stunning country up in the mountains or in the triangle or river country or desert or....... And if you don’t have the GS then you’ll miss the Omeo-Mitta Rd, or Tasmania, or a run up to Buller with Tolmie thrown in, or....... And everyone needs a DR.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  18. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Crime: uh – you're from America, home of the school shooting; in comparison, our crime is pretty benign, if such a thing is possible. In 95% of Aus, you'd be unlucky to be a victim; an example: this morning's TV news (in Melbourne) carried an item about a guy who was stabbed with a pair of scissors – in Perth, 3000km away. I think my ute's keys are probably in the ignition and will have been for days. It's not uncommon to leave doors and windows open, especially in rural areas; main reason you wouldn't is flies, not thieving.
    I know many Americans – my own brother included – cannot comprehend the concept of our gun-free society. I spent a few days with a bunch of Alison Transmission engineers from Detroit: one, a woman with two Master's degrees, was astounded that at a black-tie evening function, exactly no-one would be armed: "That's scary!" she said. That NO-ONE was armed... at a golf-club. It is a uniquely American mentality we Aussies find hard to comprehend. And one which is the subject of much derision.
    Most Aussie kids under 20 have never seen a real firearm other than on the hip of a police-person; my own kid had the chance to fire a number of her uncle's weapons at a range in Florida. Enjoyed the experience, ticked the bucket list - and cannot comprehend why anyone would want to own an item dedicated to killing things. Having lived with the responsibility of a sidearm for years myself, I relish the freedom: you can have a weapon if you can prove you need it (usually vermin control) and sporting shooters generally have their weapons retained at the club; while illicit weapons exist, they are not routinely used in street crime.
    Put another way: as a First Responder, I've never been called to a drive-by stabbing.
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed response Alberto. No one can blame you for trying to keep your options open, I would do the same. There's certainly no offence taken for the apparent swap from NZ to our lesser known West Island:)

I know from your earlier posts you will be right on board with having fewer firearms around. Its a bit of a stereotype that all USicans are guntoting survivalists.

One last comment...as you have a young family. I'm obviously biased but i don't think you will find anywhere better than OZ for your children to grow up with freedom and safety. World class education system great health systems great country. Bit crap at sport but you can't have everything. Can only think of one better place :)

GS makes a lot of sense in OZ. But I'd still leave it there until you're sure.
    Dukehunt, tripodtiger and Paul124ac like this.
  20. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh - one other thing. Lots of dagos over here since at least WWII, so the coffee is pretty bloody good.
    Precis and glitch_oz like this.