1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving south!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Madeinitaly, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Fuck off Paul.....um! :-)
    Paul124ac likes this.
  2. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need a DR? Need? A DR? WHAT? why?

NZud vs Aus..... really, that decision is going to depend on your riding and what you want to do. That is, if you have free reign in the decision making, or the Mrs is 100% on board
    Scenery and road based adventure touring, Id pic NZ. From what I know, the offroad Adv touring there is restricted somewhat. Only going off organised rallys (Ok, KTM Rallys). Here in Aus, it was open tracks galore. In NZ, it was private farm tracks, dirt roads and (restricted but permitted) forestry tracks. Happy to be corrected there of course, but that was my take.
    If true outback, hills and high country where more technical off main roads dirt, and being truely remote is your want, Aus every time.
    Paul124ac and oldbeer like this.
  3. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    On the notion of crime. The most significant risk here is that someone will break into your house / car. Do what I have always done - get a town map, find out where the crooks live - yes, I'm being socio-economically prejudiced - find the corridors between that/those areas and town / pubs / dole office and avoid those corridors. Other than that, we get stabbings and domestics and stealings etc. I reckon the fear of crime is much greater than the reality but, it does depend on where you live and work.

Living on a few acres in Sydney. Not going to happen. Live on a few acres 50-100km from Sydney, bring your US $ with you. here are some truly beautiful places around Castle Hill especially. If you can afford them. And you'll still be in Sydney
    The best view of Sydney is in the rear view mirror. It's used to be great for shows, restaurants, shopping etc and, if you're a kid still spending stupid sums chasing tail around the pubs, you're best set. My family grew up in Sydney. None of us have lived there for nearly 30 years.

Shepparton probably has a climate similar to here (Wagga Wagga) - often damp and miserable in winter - down to freezing or below but, cold mornings usually give way to brilliant sunshiny days; hot as in summer (without the humidity of further north) and really pleasant for autumn and spring. If it's anything like Griffith or Mildura - the mozzies in summer bite / suck at rates measurable in litres. So, everything is behind screens. Depends on whether Shep has irrigation like Griffith. Last thing on Shepparton - do they have a hill?

I have heard that the scientists reckon the climate here, within 10 years, will be what it is at Hillston currently. Dry, semi arid.

To bring the bike here, you may be best served by getting onto one of the various vehicle importers here. They can give you the information and do the paperwork for you.

Reckon it will be just too much of a hill to climb to do it yourself, your almost guaranteed to do something wrong. The people importing vehicles from the US will know the routine.
  4. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah nah.

You need to explain why the fuck you'd need a gun at a golf club ...
    Precis likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Only if someone treads on your putting line. A 3 iron would be an acceptable alternate as you probably don't use that much and won't matter if it gets damaged.
    Never, never use your wedge. You'll need that to get out of the cabbage at the next hole.
  6. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    It always astounds me that no matter where you go,some one lives there!!
    Last year I was in Pilliga,to me a soul destroying place that perhaps not the arsehole of Australia but I could definately smell it from there, and yet, there he was, ol mate building a new house in what was obviously his dream location!
    Diversity,embrace it!!!
    [​IMG]
    Dukehunt and Wodger63 like this.
  7. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL, it's funny (or sad) that americans have this gun culture and can't see the problem. As for my family and myself, i don't mind people having a double barrel hunting shotgun like a benelli but I would never own a firearm and I don't even let my kids visit their great uncle here since he has guns in the house.
    Definetly looking forward to coming down there to raise the kids. Plus I am persona non grata here because i tell people that american football is the rugby for who's not man enough to play rugby!!
    I think I'll sell the bimmer and get me one of those Africa Twins... And maybe a little cessna..
  8. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    So, just for everyone that had a go at me, this, from the OP himself.

“LOL,
    i thought it was obvious it was about those 3. Actualy now can make it 4 though. They offered us a job on Shepparton...“

A bit sad really.
    This place (the Aussie forum) used to be a place where foreigners came for advice and we gave it, albeit with the odd ‘drop bear’ joke thrown in.
    But we stayed on target, unless of course the OP turned out to be a complete tosser.
  9. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shepparton? Have you thought about Bendigo, or Wangaratta, or Benella instead? :jack
    AG200man likes this.
  10. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    (He’s a pilot, I’ve planted a seed, wait till he sees Benalla airport and all the world class gliding to be enjoyed, then there’s Mitta Mitta international airport...)
  12. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pilot ? Did someone say Temora?
    tomo8r, tripodtiger and Paul124ac like this.
  13. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    Pft. You may as well recommend Lilydale International; at least it's got two strips: 180 & 360...
    Paul124ac likes this.
  14. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out Darwin?
    Definitely tropical, great outdoor lifestyle, excellent fishing, great beaches (Can’t swim at them for half the year mind you)
    It’s a capital city but still has a small town feel.
    Acreage is available if you’re prepared to live a bit out of town.
    To the south you have the outback and the north Asia.
    A vet with a pilots license must be a fairly uncommon thing, I reckon you’ll have no problem getting work wherever you choose.
    Good choice on leaving the bike behind and good luck with the move :D
    Reklaw59 likes this.
  15. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bathurst has an airport and a glider strip and the worlds greatest street circuit and easy access to an incredibly overrated bucket list track and a dam that actually has water in it at the moment!!!!!

Hey, Madeinitaly, whereabouts in Sydney is your job offer?
    TerraSurfer likes this.
  16. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    @Madeinitaly Got a mate who's a Vet, ADV member but he doesn't get on here much these days. Was in WA with his own practice now lives in SA, he travels all around Australia Vetting. I can put you in touch with him, send me a PM if you're interested.
    prestonpaul likes this.
  17. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Townsville and bring a shady hat.:jkam
  18. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Bunbury...no reason
    Wodger63 likes this.
  19. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Depending on where the practice is located in Sydney you could always look towards the Illawarra as home base. Commute to Sydney via train

Maybe check out Thirroul and surrounding suburbs on Realestate.com.au though not sure on your budget

Sydney .... live ... :oscar
  20. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given the fact that the OP has referred to offers in rural centres i'd take it that his field is agriculturally based animals, i.e. cattle, sheep, equine etc, so fail to see the advantages of living in the Illawarra area ( i like) and commuting to sydney (i live there) to work, on what? and with no car to get to a patient if need be?:dunno