1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Moving to Bangkok

Discussion in 'Asia' started by jeff_connors, Jul 18, 2015.

1. jeff_connors

jeff_connors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm moving to Bangkok for several years. A lot of people say not to bring my bike due to traffic, safety, etc. Any Bangkok riders here have an opinion?
  2. offroadlanna

offroadlanna n00b

Oddometer:
  3. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I have not ridden a bike in Bangkok, I have seen the traffic. Seriously - forget it, its bedlam.
  4. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Buy a HONDA CRF250 over in Thailand and should get you around pretty decent, check out http://www.rideasia.net for more regional info, ride and explore the Land of Smiles top to bottom and best done with a motorbike.... been there - done that, nuff' said.....
  5. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Don't even think about bringing a bike into Thailand. Whatever the rules say - and they are complex enough - they are open to interpretation by local officers who will take you for every baht they can. At the end of all the months of back and forth, without a bike to ride, you will have paid as much as the bike is worth to import it and you still probably will not be legal.
    Triumph, Ducati, 800GS and 800R plus now the 1200GS are all assembled here now and are not as horrific in price as they were.

Get here, settle in, buy a 125 c.c. scoot for round town then get the bike of your choice for weekends and trips out of town.

I have just completed 40,000 kilometers round Thailand and Malaysia on my 2013 1200GS, once you are used to the irrational behavior of all the drivers this is a great country to tour in.

Whatever you ride, buy some LED auxiliary lights and have them permanently on, that way you can be seen and not mistaken for a slow moving scooter so hopefully the cars won't U turn directly into your path.

Good luck and enjoy riding in the Land of Smiles.
  6. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    I live in Bangkok. I use a 150cc automatic scooter for getting around the city and have a CRF250L for the weekend.

Smaller scooters and the CRF can be picked up for a reasonable price as both are assembled in country.
  7. garzan

garzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%; sell your bike (or long term store it) before you come, and buy a bike here after you get here. Riding in Thailand is always 'interesting', but it's not so bad once you get used to the peculiarities of drivers/riders over here.
  8. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, forget bringing a bike into Thailand. Sell or store what you have. Buy a new bike in Thailand, generally they are expensive compared to the west, but they are coming down and now many bikes are assembled in Thailand which makes them cheaper than a few years ago.

Yes riding/driving is Bangkok is interesting, but you get use to it. I have lived in Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, Malaysia and Singapore, and ridden most of SE Asia, like any big city, just simply get used to it. Forget the those that tell you how dangerous it is, believe me you get used to it and adapt your riding to suite the idiots. Or you just take taxis and miss out on the fun.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    In asia bikes are part of the traffic,drivers watch where they put their cars, you take only what you need n give the rest to the others that are doing the same. Best experience I have had on a motorbike,asian traffic.
  10. garzan

garzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another reason for leaving your bike, and buying one over here: I just bought a shock, and front fork guts from the UK. 30% duty, and then 7% VAT calculated on top of that plus a few misc fees. Darn expensive bringing stuff into Thailand.